-+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

2 Not allowed!

Default In defense of burpees :

People may hate burpees but they do not need to make false lame rationalizations for it. Hate to do burpees ? Just admit you are mentally weak not physically fit and move on instead of trash talking them!

In Defense of Burpees
    By Matt Phelps September 22, 2020

"We are training for life. 'Perfect is the enemy of good.'"

Matt Phelps
    Metabolic Fitness

The Burpee. A squat. A pushup. A jump. Seems pretty simple, right? This classic movement provides the Metabolic Trifecta of heart pounding, lactic acid producing, lung burning euphoria that no single human being on the planet is immune to, and yet it is often bastardized…a Metabolic whipping boy for poor exercise selection for most people.

In the fitness world, some coaches love to prescribe them, as they are unparalleled in intensity. While I will concede that sprinting and running up hills are always great options, these aren’t always viable choices for people, depending on living situation and time availability. With these options you also have the “luxury” of scaling back intensity, while with burpees it is pretty damn hard to do that, given the dynamic nature of the movement.

Other coaches swear that by doing them, you will destroy your knees, hurt your back, and have wrists so damaged that you won’t be able to turn a door knob for the rest of your life.

Is this true?

Well, I am here to tell you that it isn’t, and any coach that has spent any time doing burpees will tell you the same. I have coached THOUSANDS of clients, and I have NEVER seen someone hurt themselves doing a burpee….like EVER.

Also, when did we just throw out form when discussing the burpee? Isn’t safety an inherent concern when discussing ANY exercise?

The Proper Burpee

Done properly, the Burpee is a potent movement that combines lower body power, upper body strength, and emphasizes hip mobility. In the following video, you will notice the following points of emphasis:

-Hands are flat on the floor, fingers facing “North”.
    -The initial descent is NOT a hinge, but rather, a squat.
    -The chest is “proud” but does not need to be “vertical.” Some forward lean is acceptable.
    -The feet shoot back, do not allow them to be “loud” as they
    hit the floor. Soft landings are far kinder to the joints.
    -Proper pushup mechanics come into play here, the upper arm should be at 45 degrees, head slightly in front. Drop to the knees when necessary to obtain proper ROM.
    -Pushup FORCEFULLY, so that you can bring your feet along with you if possible. If upper body strength is an issue, simply break the pushup and the feet coming back up into two distinct movements.
    -As the feet come back up, land softly, with the feet as wide as possible to prepare for positioning yourself to drop your hips, and keep a neutral spine. This position should closely mirror the position you were in on the descent.
    -EXPLODE back to the top, using your arms, and raising them all the way to the ceiling, as though you are taking a vertical jump test.
    -Fluidly land softly, evenly distributing your weight across the entire foot, while descending into the next repetition if possible.

An Exercise like None Other
    I think what makes the Burpee so unique is that it literally is the ultimate full body cardiovascular conditioning tool, which inherently places a HUGE demand on the body. Whenever you combine an exercise that emphasizes power, requires strength, and is limited by mobility, you are going to have one hell of a cocktail. I like to think of it like “jungle juice” at a college party. It has a little bit of everything, somehow it all works together, and it can be very easy to “overdo it”, so watch it.

For this reason, for those coaches out there that emphasize breaking apart the burpee into “pushups and squats” or suggest “riding the assault bike” or “pushing a sled”, I think they are really missing the point. With Burpees, we have an exercise that taxed the ENTIRE body, and does not require ANY equipment. There are thousands of “case studies‘ on any inner city playground of men and women that have gotten into GREAT shape utilizing calisthenics only training, and nearly all of them perform Burpees.

If you go slower on Burpee, you are “punished’ because the movement will not be as fluid, and will take longer to perform. On the other side of the sword, your heart rate will likely be more elevated, because of the emphasis on rate of force development that you had to display. This is what I love about the Burpee as a conditioning tool…you cannot “outsmart” it.

When it comes to your training, the “fountain of youth” is keeping your strength, prioritizing your power development, and enhancing mobility. Anytime we can get all 3 of those at the same time, this is like finding the Holy Grail. The older we get, the more training efficiency becomes a priority, and movements like the Burpee certainly provide an excellent amount of “bang for your buck.”

For those of you out there who claim that the power development is not as “optimal” as hooking yourself up to a fancy piece of equipment that tells you how high you are jumping, how fast you are moving, and how much rest you need before you can go again, well, we are not training for the Olympics here.

We are training for life. “Perfect is the enemy of good”.

Many folks do not have access to any such equipment, but simply training with PURPOSE and INTENT on the concentrics of their pushups and jumps can make a significant difference. Remember, when performing burpees, we are sampling the buffett, we are not ordering the filet, and sometimes a little bit of everything leads to more satisfaction than an over assessment on one physical attribute that, in the great scheme of things, does not need to be optimal for an increase in the quality of life for most of you reading this.

Who should NOT do burpees?

While I hate bastardizing an entire movement becauseI think everyone can do some form of a Burpee, I do think precaution needs to be taken by those who have severe mobility restrictions, are new to working out, lack the strength to do a pushup from the knees, or are pregnant. In these instances, a very quick remedy is to simply do them off a box or raised surface that is 6”-24” in height, depending on the ability level of the person.

Burpees are an extraordinary tool to add to the toolbox of Gainz, and while there are some populations that should adjust the Burpee to best suit their needs, for the most part the fear mongering and trepidation that exists in the fitness community is not warranted, and if Burpees get you moving, then by all means, have at it!

https://www.trainmetabolic.com/burpees/

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

4 Not allowed!

I support this exercise. Did my first burpee in 1990 and never looked back.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    I support this exercise. Did my first burpee in 1990 and never looked back.
    Honestly, I don't have time to do faggot shit like be bodybuilder barbell curls in a mirror in the gym at 43 years old.

True story : about 3 years ago I was living in Manhattan the exercising I did was walking and burpees combined with pullups. That shit made me like Bruce Lee, no joke, not bloated like Longbowman. I had female models (there are lots of them in Manhattan) checking me out on the street.

If you do burpees to pullups you can kick Longbowman's bloated ass.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Josephine Skriver
    2018: "The least favorite and favorite are the same. Leg squats and burpees. They're the least favorite because they hurt the most , but you know they're some of the most effective. Burpees for sure—when I'm with my trainer I'm like, 'no!' but I know it's the perfect full-body workout."

Cindy Bruna
    2016: "I hate lunges and burpees. But I have to do it everyday. It's part of the job, so I'm doing it–but I hate it. One I am starting to like is squats. I feel it, I see the results on my body. When you see results you just want to do it again and again."

Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Fiji
    Y-DNA
    R1A
    mtDNA
    U4
    Taxonomy
    Big headed white man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,410
    Given: 6,924

0 Not allowed!

Best shit ever

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,624
    Given: 21,630

0 Not allowed!

I support the burpees but I am not going to do any.

I am already like Bruce Lee.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

1 Not allowed!

Once again, I am living in JamesBond's schizophrenia-addled brain, rent free. He used to be jealous of my IQ and now he's jealous of my body. I literally never talk to him as a policy, but he cannot stop thinking about me - cannot stop thinking about my body. It's at least a little gay.

BTW I do literally scores of burpees every week, they're a good exercise but fundamentally essentially cardio, if you want to build strength there are better exercises, even bodyweight exercises, such as chinups or pullups. I do around 100 6 days a week.

It is extremely difficult to look like Bruce or like me without going to the gym and pumping iron. Bruce Lee knew that - Bruce Lee did bodyweight training and weightlifting. That's right, he did curls for the girls in front of a mirror, like me, whilst also doing pushups and pullups, again, like me:

http://www.workoutlikebrucelee.com/b...e...%20More%20

Cope.

If any of you are man enough to admit you want to get shredded like Brucie or like me, DM me and we can work out a diet and exercise programme that suits your build and metabolism together, instead of joining the dad-bod circle-jerk of people who cope by telling each other they're doing the manly thing by avoiding the harder workouts because anyone who touches a barbell is a fag and anyone who looks better than you must have gone to the gym and is therefore also a fag. Work on yourselves, gents, attitude and body. You do not have winner mentalities.
    Last edited by Longbowman; 05-01-2021 at 12:12 AM.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,166
    Given: 13,531

0 Not allowed!

I don't have time to do faggot shit like be bodybuilder barbell curls in a mirror in the gym at 43 years old.
    In defense of burpees posts female supermodels who do faggot exercises all the time

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Insuperable View Post
    I don't have time to do faggot shit like be bodybuilder barbell curls in a mirror in the gym at 43 years old.
    In defense of burpees posts female supermodels who do faggot exercises all the time
    those supermodels go nuts for guys with dad bods who keep it str8 by only doing bodyweight exercises. Not even weighted bodyweight or pullups because that requires equipment. 100% pressup variants. It's the chaddiest thing you can possibly do.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,166
    Given: 13,531

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    those supermodels go nuts for guys with dad bods who keep it str8 by only doing bodyweight exercises. Not even weighted bodyweight or pullups because that requires equipment. 100% pressup variants. It's the chaddiest thing you can possibly do.
    Eventually you have to use some equipment like vest or something. There is no purpose of doing 100 pushups or 50 pullups at once except for burning calories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information