Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: How can Turkish people from Western Anatolia be closer to Iranians than they are to most Europeans?

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Caucasus
    Country
    Azerbaijan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 195

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    This kind of look must be rarer in Iranian Azerbaijan (which ain't true AZ to me as a Russian) than in the country of the same name but also more common in Turkey and the North Caucasus. Singer Nadir Rustamli (I doubt it's recent European ancestry 'cause he ain't from a big city)
    You are right, he is from Salyan which is provincial as fuck.
    Despite what Kyp and Babak said I don't think he looks that typical, especially for Iran.

Here he is next to a Danish guy. Tell me you could tell apart Nadir from some rando North European:

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Caucasus
    Country
    Azerbaijan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 195

0 Not allowed!

By the way, here is another guy from Salyan. Kamil Shirinov was a soldier who died in the recent Karabakh war:

Last Online
    06-15-2023 @ 03:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    Maybe because western turks carry extensive turkic admixture, which obviously makes them drift away, even tho they carry more West Anatolian DNA.

I don't think it's that silly.
    They drift in the wrong direction imo, It skews them towards Iranians, while I understand Turkic influence exists in Iran, majority of the DNA in Western Turkey is West Anatolian. G25 simply weighs Turkic influence in a much heavier manner than K12 or K13 does. That Kayseri Turks are more related to Greek Islanders than a Izmir Turk to me makes no sense, to be frank. Even Circassians are closer than Greek islanders on G25, there's a obvious weight shifting going on, which is why I find K12 more accurate when plotting, especially with Turkish DNA Project samples. K12 has its flaws as well, especially in terms of CHG + Zagrosian and Gedrosian weighting, but for Turks i'd say its more accurate, especially when you look at differences between Turk_Northwest between K12 and G25, the difference is enormous.

The ironic part is that Greeks carry significant amount of Iranic on G25 compared to K12, It's not the Iranic influence or CHG, but Turkic that is heavily weighted in G25.
    Last edited by XT93; 06-03-2022 at 06:43 AM.

Last Online
    06-15-2023 @ 03:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

I made a model that should honestly explain the differences, overall It's because G25 heavily skews Proto-Mongol admixture away from Europeans or from those who don't carry it into a more Eastern-Cluster, Iranians also carry Proto-Mongol in small amounts so it gets further shifted towards them, otherwise the rest of the admixtures aren't that related compared to say Western-Turk vs Greek admixture. If you look at Turk_NorthWest there's clear distinctions compared to Iranians.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread Information