Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most germanic region in the British Isles?

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Isn't Norb from SE England? I see it's separate region from East Anglia. What's the difference between the 2 genetically?
    I think he’s half from Sussex half from Essex? (He can correct me). I doubt there’s any different genetically, more of a historical difference with east Anglia being a separate kingdom to Essex, Kent, Sussex (SE England) and with east Anglia being founded by Angiles and the latter kingdoms mainly by Saxons. Essex is grouped as part of the east of England in 2021 for statistical purposes but is historically part of the SE of England not east Anglia.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    I think he’s half from Sussex half from Essex? (He can correct me). I doubt there’s any different genetically, more of a historical difference with east Anglia being a separate kingdom to Essex, Kent, Sussex (SE England) and with east Anglia being founded by Angiles and the latter kingdoms mainly by Saxons. Essex is grouped as part of the east of England in 2021 for statistical purposes but is historically part of the SE of England not east Anglia.
    Thanks! His results are Belgian shifted too from what I've seen and well, he really looks clasically Germanic. He did say though that people who look like him aren't the norm in his region.

Veteran Member XenophobicPrussian's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-09-2022 @ 08:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Baltic
    Ethnicity
    50% German, 50% Polish
    Ancestry
    Mostly north-east German, Polish, some Anglo-Canadian/English and Lithuanian.
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b, I1 or bust
    mtDNA
    H1, H3, U5 or bust
    Taxonomy
    Oberkasselid(depigmented female Australoid)
    Politics
    NW-Euro Theodor Herzlism
    Hero
    I sexually identify as Jared Taylor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,075
    Given: 1,717

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    Parts of Yorkshire I’d say. East Anglia perhaps has higher Germanic than some other regions, but I would wager it also has more southern/french like admix and less beaker overall, causing it to drift further way from North Germanics. East Anglia also has the second lowest rate of light eyes in the British isles (only Cornwall is darker) and by far the lowest rates of red hair. A pure east Anglian with a very in-depth family tree on another anthro forum plots near Belgians.
    First sentence is correct, but no way East Anglia has a lower rate of light eyes than parts of south/central England, and definitely not Wales or London area. The study you're referring to was blue eyes only, and was probably done on related SNP frequencies(like the red hair study you refer to) which is not in the slightest completely accurate. Red hair is probably correct, but that would probably mean more Germanicness.

Lundman had the northern part of East Anglia lighter eyed than most of England, and hair colour is probably more important as an indicator of Germanic admixture, where East Anglia is among the lightest haired.

I've seen some genetic evidence that Cumbria should be in the discussion, but the PCA I refer to also makes a strong case for South East England, depending on how you interpret it. I personally think SE Scotland save for Edinburgh should also be in the discussion. It could be Orkney or Hebrides, but I don't think it's Shetland as they had a lot of migration from mainland Scotland to erase the Norwegian presence, given the island became Scottish very late. I think it'd have to be a place with both Viking and Anglo-Saxon admixture, somewhere in East England or Cumbria.
    Last edited by XenophobicPrussian; 04-30-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    The Guanche skulls as a whole are unlike those of modern European Mediterraneans, and resemble northern European series most closely, especially those in which a brachycephalic element is present, as in Burgundian and Alemanni series.
    divided them into clearly differentiated types, which include a Mediterranean, a Nordic, a "Guanche," and an Alpine. The "Guanche" accounts for 50 per cent of the whole on the four islands of Teneriffe, Gomera, Gran Canaria, and Hierro; the Nordic for 31 per cent, the Mediterranean for 13 per cent, and the Alpine
    oldschool anthropology

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    First sentence is correct, but no way East Anglia has a lower rate of light eyes than parts of south/central England, and definitely not Wales or London area. The study you're referring to was blue eyes only, and was probably done on related SNP frequencies(like the red hair study you refer to) which is not in the slightest completely accurate. Red hair is probably correct, but that would probably mean more Germanicness.

Lundman had the northern part of East Anglia lighter eyed than most of England, and hair colour is probably more important as an indicator of Germanic admixture, where East Anglia is among the lightest haired.

I've seen some genetic evidence that Cumbria should be in the discussion, but the PCA I refer to always makes a strong case for South East England, depending on how you interpret it. I personally think SE Scotland save for Edinburgh should also be in the discussion. It could be Orkney or Hebrides, but I don't think it's Shetland as they had a lot of migration from mainland Scotland to erase the Norwegian presence, given the island became Scottish very late. I think it'd have to be a place with both Viking and Anglo-Saxon admixture, somewhere in East England or Cumbria.
    Cumbria has way too much historical and modern day overlap with Scotland to be a contender imo.

Last Online
    10-06-2021 @ 12:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 38

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    I've seen some genetic evidence that Cumbria should be in the discussion, but the PCA I refer to also makes a strong case for South East England, depending on how you interpret it. I personally think SE Scotland save for Edinburgh should also be in the discussion. It could be Orkney or Hebrides, but I don't think it's Shetland as they had a lot of migration from mainland Scotland to erase the Norwegian presence, given the island became Scottish very late. I think it'd have to be a place with both Viking and Anglo-Saxon admixture, somewhere in East England or Cumbria.
    On this paper they claim that Norse admixture is around 44% in Shetland. That's higher germanic than any other place in the UK I think.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/6800661#bib14 (it's in the abstract)

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,991
    Given: 6,606

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
    East Anglia maybe, but it would be nice to see how people from Shetland look, it's hard to find group pics of Shetlanders. Which region do you personally think is the most germanic genetically?
    I don't think there's a great difference in Germanic ancestry across most of England, hence the big red cluster covering most of it in fine-scale studies. East Anglia is often said to have the most, which is probably true, however Northern England is the closest genetically to Scandinavians/North Dutch, at least among the hundreds of gedmatch kits I've collected. The Southeast is the most Germanic part of Scotland, formerly part of Anglo-Saxon Northumbria.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I don't think there's a great difference in Germanic ancestry across most of England, hence the big red cluster covering most of it in fine-scale studies. East Anglia is often said to have the most, which is probably true, however Northern England is the closest genetically to Scandinavians/North Dutch, at least among the hundreds of gedmatch kits I've collected. The Southeast is the most Germanic part of Scotland, formerly part of Anglo-Saxon Northumbria.
    What are your thoughts on Shetlands and Orkney, do you think they might be more germanic than East Anglia?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,991
    Given: 6,606

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
    What are your thoughts on Shetlands and Orkney, do you think they might be more germanic than East Anglia?
    No, the most recent study I think showed them to be no more than about 25% Germanic.

The difference is that all their Germanic ancestry is from Norse.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    No, the most recent study I think showed them to be no more than about 25% Germanic.

The difference is that all their Germanic ancestry is from Norse.
    You're talking about the POBI right? That was only on Orkney I think. Did you check the paper I posted to XP? There they claim that Shetland is around 44% Norse.

https://www.nature.com/articles/6800661#bib14

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland and Wales.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,660
    Given: 2,021

1 Not allowed!

Yorkshire

"Yorkshire is most Anglo-Saxon region in the UK, DNA analysis suggests"

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e%20of%2037%25.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information