Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Do you have house geckos in your country?

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 2,705

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joqool View Post
    Geckos can't stand the cold weather and high altitude either. I studied in the US (Ohio) for four years and I never seen any house gecko there as it is too cold and temperate for them to live. This include most other places in the USA.

Do you have a desert in your country? I saw some map on precipitation worldwide and Colombia seems to be the top three wettest countries in the world. I think it is due to the Pacific Coast with cities like Quibdo, Lopez de Micay being rainy all year long with very heavy rains.
    Less than 5% of the country's surface is arid or desert. We've got some arid spots in the Upper Guajira, the northernmost part of the peninsula and also places like Tatacoa Desert but they are not big in size and rain is possible.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 08:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,309

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by samario View Post
    Less than 5% of the country's surface is arid or desert. We've got some arid spots in the Upper Guajira, the northernmost part of the peninsula and also places like Tatacoa Desert but they are not big in size and rain is possible.
    Ah ok. Seems like Argentina, Mexico, Paraguay, Bolivia, Uruguay and even Peru is much drier/arid than Colombia precipitation speaking in Latin America?

I noticed that overall the Andean highlands of Colombia is drier/more arid than the lowlands?

Is it true that it rains virtually everyday in cities like Quibdo, Lopez de Micay, Lloro?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Ah ok. Seems like Argentina, Mexico, Paraguay, Bolivia, Uruguay and even Peru is much drier/arid than Colombia precipitation speaking in Latin America?

I noticed that overall the Andean highlands of Colombia is drier/more arid than the lowlands?

Is it true that it rains virtually everyday in cities like Quibdo, Lopez de Micay, Lloro?
    Much of Peru's coastline is desert. Its capital city is located on a desert. Argentina, Mexico and Chile all have vast arid zones, too. Much of the Argentinian Patagonia is desert, as well as Northern Chile and Mexico to varying degrees. So yes, Colombia is amongst the countries with the least arid zones in the region, despite being the 4th largest.

The Pacific lowlands of Colombia are amongst the rainiest places on earth so yes, there's some truth to that statement. The Atlantic lowlands, on the other hand, tend to receive less rain. The Andean highlands are somewhere in between but some places such as the paramos can get a lot of rain (I'm thinking Sumapaz and places alike).

Either way, most of the country is not arid. Rain is relatively plentiful and evenly distributed throughout the year except for the Atlantic lowlands where there is a dry/rainy season pattern.

Check this out. It shows arid zones as a percentage of the country's total area. It's in Spanish, though.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Much of Peru's coastline is desert. Its capital city is located on a desert. Argentina, Mexico and Chile all have vast arid zones, too. Much of the Argentinian Patagonia is desert, as well as Northern Chile and Mexico to varying degrees. So yes, Colombia is amongst the countries with the least arid zones in the region, despite being the 4th largest.

The Pacific lowlands of Colombia are amongst the rainiest places on earth so yes, there's some truth to that statement. The Atlantic lowlands, on the other hand, tend to receive less rain. The Andean highlands are somewhere in between but some places such as the paramos can get a lot of rain (I'm thinking Sumapaz and places alike).

Either way, most of the country is not arid. Rain is relatively plentiful and evenly distributed throughout the year except for the Atlantic lowlands where there is a dry/rainy season pattern.

Check this out. It shows arid zones as a percentage of the country's total area. It's in Spanish, though.

Very interesting data. What is the second column "% de la superficie total de zonas..." showing?

Do you think its strange how Caribbean Islands like Antigua and Barbuda, Virgin Islands, Netherland Antilles, Aruba have much higher % of dry/arid areas than countries like Brazil, Venezuela, Ecuador or Guatemala?

Do you that aridity data you posted correspond to this data of precipitation by country in Latin America?:

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...th/Mm-per-year

This from the year 2011 btw, there is another stat from 2014/2017 where it shows Colombia being the country with the most precipitation in the Latin America and even in the world:

https://knoema.com/atlas/topics/Wate...ation-in-depth

Argentina, Mexico, Paraguay, Bolivia and even Uruguay seems very dry for Latin America standards going by the average precitation in the data.

Also this is from 2011, but Lat Am is really really wet and humid in terms of precipitation/rain when compared to other regions of the world like Sub Saharan Africa, South and Central Asia, MENA or Europe. Unfortunately, there isn't an average made for East/SE Asian countries and Oceanian countries, but Oceanian/Pacific Islands and SE Asian countries seems even more wetter than Latin America precipitation speaking based on the data I saw for each country in those regions.

According to the data here, the average precipitation in Lat Am is around 1774.3 mm compared to Sub Saharan Africa's average of 1097.46 mm, South and Central Asia (they combined them together) average of 1061.15 mm, although there is also a separate South Asian average which is around 1354 mm, Europe's average of 848.95 mm and MENA's average of 186.81 mm:

Do you think the data of precipitation of Latin America comparing the rest of the world makes sense? Do you agree?

Big Time Hustler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanoamericano
    Ethnicity
    Mexican National
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Estado de Durango
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,180
    Given: 8,859

1 Not allowed!

I have seen them in some old buildings. Pale, ugly looking.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravado View Post
    I have seen them in some old buildings. Pale, ugly looking.
    Do they look like the ones in the OP?

Are they absent from the highlands of Mexico like Mexico City, Puebla, Toluca, Zacatecas, where it is around 2000 meters and more above sea level as they can't live in cold dry weather and high altitude? I read that in Mexico, geckos are mainly found in the lowland areas up to 1600 meters. More than that and they cannot thrive.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Very interesting data. What is the second column "% de la superficie total de zonas..." showing?

Do you think its strange how Caribbean Islands like Antigua and Barbuda, Virgin Islands, Netherland Antilles, Aruba have much higher % of dry/arid areas than countries like Brazil, Venezuela, Ecuador or Guatemala?

Do you that aridity data you posted correspond to this data of precipitation by country in Latin America?:

This from the year 2011 btw, there is another stat from 2014/2017 where it shows Colombia being the country with the most precipitation in the Latin America and even in the world:

https://knoema.com/atlas/topics/Wate...ation-in-depth

Argentina, Mexico, Paraguay, Bolivia and even Uruguay seems very dry for Latin America standards going by the average precitation in the data.

Also this is from 2011, but Lat Am is really really wet and humid in terms of precipitation/rain when compared to other regions of the world like Sub Saharan Africa, South and Central Asia, MENA or Europe. Unfortunately, there isn't an average made for East/SE Asian countries and Oceanian countries, but Oceanian/Pacific Islands and SE Asian countries seems even more wetter than Latin America precipitation speaking based on the data I saw for each country in those regions.

According to the data here, the average precipitation in Lat Am is around 1774.3 mm compared to Sub Saharan Africa's average of 1097.46 mm, South and Central Asia (they combined them together) average of 1061.15 mm, although there is also a separate South Asian average which is around 1354 mm, Europe's average of 848.95 mm and MENA's average of 186.81 mm:

Do you think the data of precipitation of Latin America comparing the rest of the world makes sense? Do you agree?
    Share of arid zones within Latin America and the Caribbean.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the Dutch Antilles are arid. They are next door to La Guajira and Paraguachon Peninsula, amongst the driest areas in northern South America.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Share of arid zones within Latin America and the Caribbean.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the Dutch Antilles are arid. They are next door to La Guajira and Paraguachon Peninsula, amongst the driest areas in northern South America.
    Is it due to massive deforestation during European colonization? I also find it odd how Bahamas and places like Antigua-Barbuda (I don't think its part of the Dutch Antilles) are so dry compared to the mainland Central and South America.

Do you know why Bolivia and Paraguay is so dry compared to Peru and Ecuador in terms of precipitation?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread Information