Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Do you have house geckos in your country?

Mr. Wog is back
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-29-2024 @ 05:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EEF/Anzick/Clovis
    Ethnicity
    Argentine/Uruguayan Gaucho, South-East brazilian and western cuban looking.
    Ancestry
    Navarrese/Aquitanian/Galician-Portuguese/Sicilian/Ava-Guarani
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Y-DNA
    R1b U152
    Taxonomy
    Southeast Brazilian looking or Western cuban looking
    Politics
    Traditionalist/Hispanist
    Hero
    Don Pelayo, Virrey Pedro de Cevallos y Calderón, Juan Manuel de Rosas, Agustín Agualongo
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,915
    Given: 27,872

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Sho pensaba lo mismo.
    ¿Tampoco sabías qué soy "mita y mita"?

Daven

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Erronkari View Post
    ¿Tampoco sabías qué soy "mita y mita"?
    Si lo sabia. Solo queria usar el "sho". ps. Disculpa por la falta de tildes.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,309

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Erronkari View Post
    Yes, those coconut palms are mostly in that town, not just like coconut plantations but like ornamental sense.
    But pinneaple plantations are next to the town, in rural areas.
    In Misiones and Formosa there are some pineapple plantations too.

Yeah! exactly, in Patagonia, Cuyo (Western=Mendoza, San Juan, La Rioja), and Pampean Region I think that it's somos impossible to find geckos, but who knows... weather is changing a lot around the whole earth.
    Oh, I forgot to mention to you that I saw geckos in Costa Rica... I lived 14 years there (it's my wife's land)...
    I remember to see them in the garden of our home there.
    We used to live in a place which is 1.400 mts over the sea (12km or 30 miles from San José, the capital city) the weather is temperate and temps are very mild, never under 11°C nor above 28°C and it rains a lot.
    It was very common to find them in the walls hehe.
    Is it also pretty dry in Tartagal as well? I heard that some parts of the Chaco in Paraguay and Bolivia is very arid, almost a semi-desert. I see, the weather getting warmer worldwide is a bad thing though as sea level rises and glaciers start melting.

Are there any towns in Costa Rica that is above 1400 meters from sea level like closer to 2000 meters? Geckos can still live in the elevation of 1400 meters as it is still too low. I remember that when I was in Tanzania in Africa, I spent a few months in this city called Arusha which is also around 1400 meters from the sea (actually most of Tanzania seems to be around 1000 meters from the sea level), there were still a lot of geckos in the building that I live in. This is despite that Arusha has pretty mild weather and you don't need a fan/air conditioner to survive.

So I guess it needs to be at least 1600 meters and more for geckos to be rare as it the habitat and terrain is beginning to become to high elevated for them to live: https://animaldiversity.org/accounts...tylus_mabouia/
    They can live very close to sea level (5 meters) to elevations of 1600 meters.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by samario View Post
    Yes, we’ve got tons of house geckos over here, although they’re not quite as big as the ones in OP. A while ago, I saw a house geckos’ newborn in the bathroom and it freaked me out. The little thing couldn’t make its way up to the rooftop because the walls were wet. I took a shower and the gecko kept me some company.

Next day it was gone. I hope it overcame its problems.
    Actually the ones that live in my house are not as big as well.

You live in Santa Marta which is the coastal lowlands? That would explain why they are abundant where you live.

Are house geckos very rare to non-existent in the Colombian highlands such as Bogota, Manizales, Popayan, Sogamoso, Pasto etc. where the weather is much cooler and drier due to high elevation?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Leopardgeckos came originally from Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India, semiarid parts, sometimes it can be very cold there, at least they live in places with remarkable winters. Crested Geckos are from New Caledonia and as far i know its tropical/subtropical there.

Yeah I know, Phesluma laticauda is the only species which was brought as alien species to some islands, house geckos are probably stronger and more reproductive.

Btw all this geckos are very popular here and easy to breed.
    That makes sense. I like how leopard geckos have eyelids and can make facial expressions though. It makes them seem much more lively and surreal than other geckos. Crested geckos also look like a mini-dinosaur or pokemon creature. I wonder do crested geckos live in houses and buildings in New Caledonia like house geckos do?

Other phelsuma species are not introduced as alien/invasive species like the phelsuma laticauda/gold dust day geckos do? I heard there are some madagascar giant day geckos roaming in Florida?

Btw the tokay gecko that you have in your profile pic, also exists here in my country in SE Asia which is their native habitat. Tokays are not that as common or easily to be found as house geckos but you can hear their noises at night quite a lot. It seems they live mostly in the trees and not inside houses or buildings. Also they seem to be a lot more aggressive and will bite if feeling threatened unlike house geckos.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 10:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,748
    Given: 9,033

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joqool View Post
    That makes sense. I like how leopard geckos have eyelids and can make facial expressions though. It makes them seem much more lively and surreal than other geckos. Crested geckos also look like a mini-dinosaur or pokemon creature. I wonder do crested geckos live in houses and buildings in New Caledonia like house geckos do?

Other phelsuma species are not introduced as alien/invasive species like the phelsuma laticauda/gold dust day geckos do? I heard there are some madagascar giant day geckos roaming in Florida?

Btw the tokay gecko that you have in your profile pic, also exists here in my country in SE Asia which is their native habitat. Tokays are not that as common or easily to be found as house geckos but you can hear their noises at night quite a lot. It seems they live mostly in the trees and not inside houses or buildings. Also they seem to be a lot more aggressive and will bite if feeling threatened unlike house geckos.
    Yes Leopardgeckos are eyelashe geckos, they are very similar to cats imo, they behave like them and are very hygienic(very interesting for reptiles). Crested geckos are very beautiful, generally new caledonian geckos are looking like little dinosaurs. I will buy a crested gecko too one day, their eyes are identical to raptor eyes from Jurassic park lol. Unfortunately they can easily lose their tails so thats the only shortcoming of this animals.

Regarding other Phelsumas i cant say something, besides of some species they are maybe more demanding. Do you know mourning geckos? Very cool and beautiful animals unfortunately very very shy. My Leopardgecko doesn’t even care if I am watching her, mourning geckos don’t like it. They are one if the most successful geckos on this world, often breed for lizard eating snakes here.

The Tokeh is indeed very aggressive, males are very very loud, but in fact they are very good parents too. And they look very good, in Asia they are welcome guests because they are eating cockroaches and other vermin. They even could eat mice.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,474
    Given: 5,729

1 Not allowed!

By squeezing on the coastline at border, do you mean they could walk through the area to get to other place?

Do you think they will eventually spread all over Europe or is there eventually a limit to where they can distribute? You mentioned that crossing the Alps would be hard for them to survive. Would it be also very difficult for them to survive and flourish in Scandinavia, British Isles and Eastern Europe where it is chilly and cold most of the time?
    I mean they don't have to go through the Alps or severe relief there

In summer i think they could survive up to North Sea, not sure for winters. UK might be too rainy even in summer, last time i went there, it was raining every 3 days in July (lol)

Mr. Wog is back
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-29-2024 @ 05:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EEF/Anzick/Clovis
    Ethnicity
    Argentine/Uruguayan Gaucho, South-East brazilian and western cuban looking.
    Ancestry
    Navarrese/Aquitanian/Galician-Portuguese/Sicilian/Ava-Guarani
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Y-DNA
    R1b U152
    Taxonomy
    Southeast Brazilian looking or Western cuban looking
    Politics
    Traditionalist/Hispanist
    Hero
    Don Pelayo, Virrey Pedro de Cevallos y Calderón, Juan Manuel de Rosas, Agustín Agualongo
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,915
    Given: 27,872

1 Not allowed!

Is it also pretty dry in Tartagal as well? I heard that some parts of the Chaco in Paraguay and Bolivia is very arid, almost a semi-desert. I see, the weather getting warmer worldwide is a bad thing though as sea level rises and glaciers start melting.

Are there any towns in Costa Rica that is above 1400 meters from sea level like closer to 2000 meters? Geckos can still live in the elevation of 1400 meters as it is still too low. I remember that when I was in Tanzania in Africa, I spent a few months in this city called Arusha which is also around 1400 meters from the sea (actually most of Tanzania seems to be around 1000 meters from the sea level), there were still a lot of geckos in the building that I live in. This is despite that Arusha has pretty mild weather and you don't need a fan/air conditioner to survive.

So I guess it needs to be at least 1600 meters and more for geckos to be rare as it the habitat and terrain is beginning to become to high elevated for them to live: https://animaldiversity.org/accounts...tylus_mabouia/
    Well... honestly Tartagal is not a particularly dry / arid area.
    Probably because it's located at the end of Chaco area, not that far where starts the Andes piedmont, even though it's in a lowland, around 450mts over the sea.
    The area recives a good amount or rains, around 1.000 to 1.100 mm, even though is true that the winter is very dry and practically between may to august doesn't recive rains, so, it's an area of full monsoonic rains.
    But you are right, other areas of bolivian, paraguayan and northern argentine Chaco are strongly drier than that place, and rains are even more irregular, at the point there are a lot of places which there is scrub and very dry savanna, and even some places which in the winter seem something similar to a semi-desert, but not really in Tartagal and Orán area... there is something similar to an open tropical/sub-tropical forest and a wet/humid savanna.
    But I need to point something, I was wrong in a point, this is not the warmest point of the country, the warmest point of the country judging the whole year should be probably Clorinda, in Formosa province (which is exactly in front to Asunción, capital city of Paraguay).
    In Tartagal average temperature is around 21.5ºC, while in Clorinda is 22.7ºC, so for sure in Clorinda and in Formosa city which is a pair of hours southern (and it's the capital of the province) we can find geckos without any doubt.
    I made the mistake to judge just only the warmest temperatures of the year which are very similar in both places, although in Tartagal the winter is quite colder (14.6ºC vs. 17.7ºC).
    Clorinda also is more humid than Tartagal.

It's very interesting to know geckos can live until 1.600 mts... in Costa Rica, especially in the central valley most cities are in highlands above to 900 mts, but I only know a place which is located more than 2.000 mts, it's name is "Rancho Redondo", but it's just a very little hamlet where the weather by centralamerican standards is quite cool/fresh and it also rains a lot, but the last in CA is very common.
    San José, the capital city is located 1.100/1.200 mts above the sea... it varies a little depends of the neightbourhood of the city.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-15-2024 @ 05:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    G-BY205667
    mtDNA
    K1a12a4a
    Taxonomy
    Robust Iranid
    Politics
    🤡
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,027
    Given: 5,557

0 Not allowed!

I see them a lot around my house, usually my garage but not inside my home. They are cute.

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022
    Given: 2,705

1 Not allowed!

Actually the ones that live in my house are not as big as well.

You live in Santa Marta which is the coastal lowlands? That would explain why they are abundant where you live.

Are house geckos very rare to non-existent in the Colombian highlands such as Bogota, Manizales, Popayan, Sogamoso, Pasto etc. where the weather is much cooler and drier due to high elevation?
    Not only house geckos are a common sight in Santa Marta, but also iguanas and all sorts of lizards. My city is also noticeably drier (within its urban core) than any of the cities you mentioned.

I don't recall seeing any house geckos whilst in Bogota, let alone iguanas. lol

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information