Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have house geckos in your country?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Mexican American
    Ancestry
    Mostly Iberian and Amerindian/ 3% to 2% Scottish Miniscule African
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Nevada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,631
    Given: 3,857

0 Not allowed!

I have seen Mediterranean house geckos a couple of times here in Vegas.

Daven

0 Not allowed!

I think a lot of people kill those. It's so sad because they are so inoffensive.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,305

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Komintasavalta View Post
    Apparently Finland has two species of lizards. I had never heard of the other before, but it's called vaskitsa. But then when I searched for it on Google Images, it's just a god damn snake.

They are called geckos.

I don't think you have them in Finland. It is too cold and icy for them to live. They seem to thrive only in tropical and warm Mediterranean climates.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hmaohma78 View Post
    I have seen Mediterranean house geckos a couple of times here in Vegas.
    How about the common house gecko (found in Asia) and tropical house gecko (from Africa)?

Do you also have them in Mexico? Are they nonexistent in the highlands like Mexico City, Zacatecas, Queretaro where the weather is much colder and more arid?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Yes we have them in my country. They pop up sometimes at night in the wall near the lights. They aren't very very common but I still remember seeing a few in my lifetime there. I always found them creepy because of their transparent and colorless skin.
    Interesting. There is also a lot of them in SE Asia where I am living right now.

I also found them creepy and crawly because of the reasons you mentioned. Also their lack of eyelids also adds to the creepiness factor.

I prefer the leopard gecko and day gecko species much more tbh. These guys are a lot more colorful and at least doesn't seem pale and transparent. GEICO seems to be a gold dust day gecko.

But their range seem much more restricted than the house gecko species; they seem to be limited to Madagascar, the Indian Ocean islands, parts of East Africa and Hawaii, Florida (where they are introduced by humans).
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 05-07-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    Mexican American
    Ancestry
    Mostly Iberian and Amerindian/ 3% to 2% Scottish Miniscule African
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Nevada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,631
    Given: 3,857

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joqool View Post
    How about the common house gecko (found in Asia) and tropical house gecko (from Africa)?

Do you also have them in Mexico? Are they nonexistent in the highlands like Mexico City, Zacatecas, Queretaro where the weather is much colder and more arid?
    I haven't seen any tropical house geckos or common house geckos (found in Asia).

Yes geckos are found in México especially low elevated areas. I highly doubt geckos are found in higher and cooler elevated cities like those you listed, so I think it's a no.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IberianAlex View Post
    We call the first species just "salamanquesa", its like the common house gecko in Spain. The second we call "salamanquesa aberroncho" and is a little more rare and makes those weird chirping noises I showed you in the other thread. I find those much cooler though, and have been considering maybe keeping one as a pet next time I find one .

The correlation between their presence and humidity/altitude sounds about right, yes. I'm really into camping and hiking personally and never saw salamanquesas on my travels in say Montardo or Núria (mountains in my area), although cities like Valladolid or Madrid which are very much inland and dry (an old Castilian saying goes like "nueve meses de invierno, tres de infierno", because it is quite miserable and cold in winter and excessively hot in summer ) are ""only"" 600-800m above sea level so geckos can be found. Although, in my experience, only really the Tarentola mauritanica not the Med gecko.
    I forgot to clarify it seems to be the common house gecko from Asia and tropical house gecko from Africa that can be found up to 1500-1700 meters above sea level and that they don't exist higher than that. I'm not sure whats the elevation limit for moorish wall gecko and Mediterranean house gecko.

That house gecko, which surprisingly was the only one I seen in my one month trip in Ethiopia with my friend, (it was on the ceiling outside a nightclub in this town called Gondar) was the species called tropical house gecko which is native to Sub Saharan Africa methinks. Most of Ethiopia seems to be around 1500 to 2000 meters and more in elevation maybe that's why they were pretty rare.

When I was in Tanzania in the city called Arusha which is also in the highlands at 1400 meters above sea level, house geckos were very common. I think its because its not high enough.

Anyway I prefer the leopard gecko, day gecko and crested gecko. I found the day gecko species to look physically look much better than the house geckos, they are a lot more colorful and seem more lively (they look cartoonish lol) but their global range seem to be much more restricted than the house geckos. Day geckos are limited mainly to the Indian Ocean Islands including Madagascar, some other parts of East Africa and Hawaii, Florida the latter two where they were introduced.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2021 @ 04:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 685
    Given: 443

0 Not allowed!

We got also "camaleones" (chameleons or whatever in English) around where I live. We always had one of them at home as we were children. I remember a guy that even had one on his motorcycle. Now it's forbidden to catch and to have them, they became a protected species, since a kind of a tonta mafia used to catch them to sell them to the tourists here.

The last one I had I found it in the middle of a small road, it was their mating season and the animal would be looking for a female. I released it in the middle of a grove. Maybe, who knows, there was a female there.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hmaohma78 View Post
    I haven't seen any tropical house geckos or common house geckos (found in Asia).

Yes geckos are found in México especially low elevated areas. I highly doubt geckos are found in higher and cooler elevated cities like those you listed, so I think it's a no.
    If I read correctly the geckos found in the lowlands of Mexico are primarily either the tropical house or common house geckos who ride from ships coming from Asia or Africa but I'm not sure.

It makes sense though as the higher and colder it gets, insects like mosquitos, flies becomes much rarer thus less food source for them. They seem to thrive mainly in tropical/equatorial and Mediterranean regions of the world.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joqool View Post
    Do they look like the ones that I posted or a different species?

Can they be found everywhere in Brazil?
    Yes, their skin is between white and translucid. I think others areas of Brazil have them too.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information