Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did human intelligence evolve to a level that's not needed for hunter-gatherer lifestyle?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,457
    Given: 5,723

2 Not allowed!

Human intelligence is not required for survival at all, much lower IQ species do just fine. It's just a random path humans went through, however it can certainly help in harsher environements to survive without great physiological adaptation but not particularly for building space rockets either. You put a lion in greenland it's gonna die, you put a human butt naked there, it could survive using his intelligence to build quickly clothes, tools,...

Maybe more importantly we can argue that increased intelligence is just a transition in the complexification of matter towards post biological beings.

"Man becomes, as it were, the sex organs of the machine world, as the bee of the plant world, enabling it to fecundate and evolve ever new forms”. Marshall McLuhan

Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,093
    Given: 10,128

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Yes.
    There isn't a linear correlation between IQ and brain size, when it comes to humans at least.
    I read Inuits have largest brains (not sure if that is really true though), yet they aren't high IQ folks.
    Well article also notices that it actually takes a lot of skills to be a H-G, it's not Flinstones.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,960
    Given: 12,183

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Cop View Post
    Well article also notices that it actually takes a lot of skills to be a H-G, it's not Flinstones.
    Yes, but it's not rocket science as in travelling to the moon and back...there are hunter gatherer human populations who persist to this day as hunter-gatherers but never achieved anything close to what other ex-hunter gatherer populations achieved in other parts of the world.
    My point is a hunter gatherer doesn't need IQ levels high enough that make space travel possible, it's simply unnecessary.
    Last edited by Universe; 05-07-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Why did human intelligence (of certain populations anyway) evolve to a level that's not needed for hunter-gatherer lifestyle?
    Were high IQ people sexually positively selected after the neolithic revolution?
    The human brain is 60 percent fat, so if somebody calls you a fathead, take it as a compliment. It’s interesting that perhaps our most important organ also has the largest proportion of fat. While many different fats make up the brain, omega-3 DHA alone makes up 15–20 percent of the brain’s fat. Which organ requires the most flexible, fluid multitasking and the fastest response? The brain. Which fat has these same qualities? Omega-3 EPA/DHA.

By Land or by Sea: How Did Early Humans Access Key Brain-Building Nutrients?

Experts debate the origins of fatty acids in our ancestors’ diets

Omega fatty acids, including docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, are key to brain health and most likely helped to drive the evolution of the modern human brain. But how did early humans access these vital nutrients? The answer is a matter of some debate.

For nearly two decades archaeologist Curtis W. Marean, associate director of Arizona State University's Institute of Human Origins, has overseen excavations at a site called Pinnacle Point on South Africa's southern coast, near where a newly discovered early human species, Homo naledi, was recently unearthed. His work there suggests that sometime between 195,000 and 123,000 years ago, during a glacial period known as Marine Isotope Stage 6 (MIS6), humans made a significant shift in their eating habits, moving from foraging for terrestrial plants, animals and the occasional inland fish to relying on the rich, predictable shellfish beds in the area.

Marean believes that this change occurred when early humans learned to exploit the bimonthly spring tides. And to do so, he says, our brains were already fairly well evolved. “Accessing the marine food chain could have had huge impacts on fertility, survival and overall health, including brain health,” Marean explains, in part because of the high return on omega-3 fatty acids. But before MIS6, he speculates, hominins would have had access to plenty of brain-healthy terrestrial nutrition, including by feeding on animals that consumed omega-3-rich plants and grains.

Others disagree, at least in part. “I'm afraid the idea that ample DHA was available from the fats of animals on the savanna is just not true,” says psychiatrist Michael A. Crawford of Imperial College London. “The animal brain evolved 600 million years ago in the ocean and was dependent on DHA and compounds essential to the brain such as iodine, which is also in short supply on land. To build a brain, you would need building blocks that were rich at sea and on rocky shores.”

Crawford's early biochemical work focused on showing that DHA is not readily accessible from the muscle tissue of land animals. Using DHA tagged with a radioactive isotope, he and his colleagues also demonstrated that “ready-made” DHA—such as that found in shellfish—is incorporated into the developing rat brain with 10-fold greater efficiency than plant-sourced DHA.

Crawford's colleague and collaborator, physiologist Stephen Cunnane of the University of Sherbrooke in Quebec, also feels that aquatically sourced food was crucial to human evolution. But he believes that before MIS6, inland hominins had already incorporated fish from lakes and rivers into their diet for millions of years.

He suggests that it was not just omega-3s but a cluster of nutrients found in fish (including iodine, iron, zinc, copper and selenium) that contributed to our big brain. “I think DHA was hugely important to our evolution and brain health, but I don't think it was a magic bullet all by itself,” Crawford says.

All three researchers are confident that higher intelligence evolved gradually over millions of years as mutations inched the cognitive needle forward, conferring survival and reproductive advantages. But advantages such as, say, figuring out how to shuck oysters—as well as track the spring tides—threw open the Darwinian floodgates. Cunnane comments: “Once we were able to access the coastal food chain in Africa—far more rich and reliable than inland sources of fish—brain and cultural evolution exploded.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ing-nutrients/

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,960
    Given: 12,183

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    The human brain is 60 percent fat, so if somebody calls you a fathead, take it as a compliment. It’s interesting that perhaps our most important organ also has the largest proportion of fat. While many different fats make up the brain, omega-3 DHA alone makes up 15–20 percent of the brain’s fat. Which organ requires the most flexible, fluid multitasking and the fastest response? The brain. Which fat has these same qualities? Omega-3 EPA/DHA.

By Land or by Sea: How Did Early Humans Access Key Brain-Building Nutrients?

Experts debate the origins of fatty acids in our ancestors’ diets

Omega fatty acids, including docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, are key to brain health and most likely helped to drive the evolution of the modern human brain. But how did early humans access these vital nutrients? The answer is a matter of some debate.

For nearly two decades archaeologist Curtis W. Marean, associate director of Arizona State University's Institute of Human Origins, has overseen excavations at a site called Pinnacle Point on South Africa's southern coast, near where a newly discovered early human species, Homo naledi, was recently unearthed. His work there suggests that sometime between 195,000 and 123,000 years ago, during a glacial period known as Marine Isotope Stage 6 (MIS6), humans made a significant shift in their eating habits, moving from foraging for terrestrial plants, animals and the occasional inland fish to relying on the rich, predictable shellfish beds in the area.

Marean believes that this change occurred when early humans learned to exploit the bimonthly spring tides. And to do so, he says, our brains were already fairly well evolved. “Accessing the marine food chain could have had huge impacts on fertility, survival and overall health, including brain health,” Marean explains, in part because of the high return on omega-3 fatty acids. But before MIS6, he speculates, hominins would have had access to plenty of brain-healthy terrestrial nutrition, including by feeding on animals that consumed omega-3-rich plants and grains.

Others disagree, at least in part. “I'm afraid the idea that ample DHA was available from the fats of animals on the savanna is just not true,” says psychiatrist Michael A. Crawford of Imperial College London. “The animal brain evolved 600 million years ago in the ocean and was dependent on DHA and compounds essential to the brain such as iodine, which is also in short supply on land. To build a brain, you would need building blocks that were rich at sea and on rocky shores.”

Crawford's early biochemical work focused on showing that DHA is not readily accessible from the muscle tissue of land animals. Using DHA tagged with a radioactive isotope, he and his colleagues also demonstrated that “ready-made” DHA—such as that found in shellfish—is incorporated into the developing rat brain with 10-fold greater efficiency than plant-sourced DHA.

Crawford's colleague and collaborator, physiologist Stephen Cunnane of the University of Sherbrooke in Quebec, also feels that aquatically sourced food was crucial to human evolution. But he believes that before MIS6, inland hominins had already incorporated fish from lakes and rivers into their diet for millions of years.

He suggests that it was not just omega-3s but a cluster of nutrients found in fish (including iodine, iron, zinc, copper and selenium) that contributed to our big brain. “I think DHA was hugely important to our evolution and brain health, but I don't think it was a magic bullet all by itself,” Crawford says.

All three researchers are confident that higher intelligence evolved gradually over millions of years as mutations inched the cognitive needle forward, conferring survival and reproductive advantages. But advantages such as, say, figuring out how to shuck oysters—as well as track the spring tides—threw open the Darwinian floodgates. Cunnane comments: “Once we were able to access the coastal food chain in Africa—far more rich and reliable than inland sources of fish—brain and cultural evolution exploded.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ing-nutrients/
    Yeah, I know about the "aquatic ape" hypothesis.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-10-2021 @ 11:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Celto-Germanic, some south and east european
    Ethnicity
    White (euromutt)
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Well, humans as a whole we are not that smart... Many today humans are more useless than hunter gatherer people. Only a few are smart.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

Yeah, I know about the "aquatic ape" hypothesis.
    The establishment is desperate to keep you from knowing certain information/knowledge including the below :

Well, America is one of the most anti-intellectual societies that has ever existed. :

Typical North American Diet Is Deficient In Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Date:
    March 11, 2008

Source:
    Child & Family Research Institute

Summary:

The typical North American diet of eating lots of meat and not much fish is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids and this may pose a risk to infant neurological development. The researchers found that the women who ate lots of meat and little fish were deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, and their babies didn't do as well on eye tests as babies from mothers who weren't deficient. The results were noticeable as early as two months of age.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0307133659.htm

Truth About Fish Oil - by Dave Woynarowski, M.D. (Medical Doctor)

Truth is, when I first began doing research on Fish Oil several years ago I was literally overwhelmed with the incredible benefits - all of which have been substantiated in scientific studies. In my office, for example, I have a 58-page file that summarizes much of my research. Each of these 58 pages contains abstracts from at least 9 scientific studies, done over the course of one year. That's how much information there is on the subject.

Add up the pages and the years. What do you have? You have 58 years worth of studies on the subject of Fish Oil. We're talking thousands of articles I have reviewed on the subject. And so, I would venture to say you could fill up a small room in my house with the research from all of these scientific publications.

At any rate here is a SHORT LIST of the things I found:

Fish oil prevents second heart attacks better than any drug it was tested against!

Fish oil is probably the best "medicine " available to prevent sudden cardiac death!

Fish oil makes aspirin's "blood thinning" benefits look like a joke. Not only that, those who cannot tolerate aspirin will have no problem with the taste of Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil (not to be confused with normal grade fish oil bought in stores - which does leave a bad after-taste).

Fish oil has been used effectively in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Fish oil improves memory, I.Q. and helps obliterate age related memory lapses.

Fish oil helps people with multiple sclerosis.

Fish oil plays a key role in brain development. In a Scottish study conducted with young children, fish oil improved cognitive and visual skills - making them smarter than kids who did not use it!

Fish oil lowers blood pressure. In know this for a fact as several years back when I went on this longevity quest (after being diagnosed with high blood pressure) I used it successfully on myself. Then I gave it to my mother and it helped her, too. Then I gave it to my patients with the same result.

Fish oil reduces the incidence of stroke caused by clotting of brain blood vessels!

Fish oil lowers triglycerides and raises good HDL cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart disease.

Fish oil is a very potent anti-oxidant and one of the few that cross the blood-brain barrier. I call it the ultimate anti-oxidant and in many cases, the only one you may need!

Fish oil improves personality, mood, and mental disorders!

Fish oil is a potent natural anti-depressant!

Fish oil improves the health of cartilage and joints!

Fish oil improves the ratio of testosterone to its metabolite, DHT, and in studies was shown to be useful in treating prostate, breast and colon cancers.

Because fish oil simultaneously improves hormone levels and improves the health of your joints, this makes it the perfect anti-aging supplement as well as a superb supplement for athletes, speeding recovery time from hard workouts!

Fish oil balances hormonal levels in the body, which has many benefits - one of which is a much sounder, deeper sleep, so that you wake up in the morning feeling totally refreshed and invigorated!

Fish oil reduces inflammation in the lungs and can be used to treat allergies, asthma and excema.

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 03:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    America Southern Cone
    Ancestry
    portuguese, italian, german
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Politics
    One that works
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,779
    Given: 208

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    Its all competition in a way. What did drive human to the shores of Shetland, west coast of Scotland, Ireland? (Non-stop rain and harsh winds) Why did they escaped to the marshes of Siberia? (10 months deadly winter) or Sahara desert? (Barely any water to survive)

Answer is always the same.
    Migration can stem from overpopulation, wars (and losses) with other tribes. There are no signs of evolution here, just human settlement with malnourished people and worn teeth from eating bread with ground stone.
    Last edited by luc2112; 05-07-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    America Southern Cone
    Ancestry
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Politics
    One that works
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boulevard View Post
    Well, humans as a whole we are not that smart... Many today humans are more useless than hunter gatherer people. Only a few are smart.
    Yes, the mortality rates of human settlements are higher than hunter gatherers. Many people get marvel at the pyramids (tombs for one person) but would not give great monuments for your workers.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    America Southern Cone
    Ancestry
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Politics
    One that works
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    Human intelligence is not required for survival at all, much lower IQ species do just fine. It's just a random path humans went through, however it can certainly help in harsher environements to survive without great physiological adaptation but not particularly for building space rockets either. You put a lion in greenland it's gonna die, you put a human butt naked there, it could survive using his intelligence to build quickly clothes, tools,...

Maybe more importantly we can argue that increased intelligence is just a transition in the complexification of matter towards post biological beings.

"Man becomes, as it were, the sex organs of the machine world, as the bee of the plant world, enabling it to fecundate and evolve ever new forms”. Marshall McLuhan
    The Inuit Mongols had little mutation and less mortality from the cold climate. Nordics had more mutations (and mortality for those not adapted) for the cold.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information