mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,627
    Given: 21,630

2 Not allowed!

Something like Dirichlet-type distribution?

I found a very good image to understand PCAs in multivariate statistics in a simple and intuitive way, but I can't find it right now.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-15-2024 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,923
    Given: 18,998

1 Not allowed!

Very neat-looking! What software did you use to create these diagrams? R ???

Banned
    Last Online
    09-12-2023 @ 03:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Permic
    Ethnicity
    Peasant
    Ancestry
    コミ
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Karaboğa (euryprosopic, platyrrhine, dolichocephalic)
    Relationship Status
    Virgin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,862
    Given: 2,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vbnetkhio View Post
    I tried something like this recently:

Code:
    a <- read.table("results.csv", header = TRUE, row.names=1)
    b <- read.table("fst_distances.csv", header = TRUE, row.names=1)

a <- as.matrix(a)
    b <- as.matrix(b)

c <- a %*% b

write.table(c, file = "fst_scaled.txt")
    i didn't like the result. Basically all Europeans end up more similar to each other, and some Hungarians with a tiny bit of Asian were bigger outliers.
    That's exactly what I thought about doing, but I didn't think it would be that simple. But it actually worked. I made a new version of the Dodecad k12b graph in my previous post where I multiplied the matrix of admixture percentages by the FST matrix. It reduced the number of clusters in Europe and Caucasus, because the North_European, Atlantic_Med, and Caucasus components have low FST distances with each other. But it expectedly increased the number of clusters in Africa. Previously the three closest neighbors of Selkups were Kets, Dolgans, and Yukaghirs, because they all have a high proportion of the Siberian component, which is an Nganasan-like central-north Siberian component. Selkups were relatively far from Siberian populations with low Siberian and high Southeast_Asian, like Altaians. After multiplying by the FST matrix, Selkups became closer to southern Siberians like Altaians.

My script also uses matrix multiplication to calculate the coordinates inside the polygon. For example these are the corners of an equilateral triangle centered in the origin with radius 1:

Code:
    > triangle=sapply(c(sin,cos),function(x)head(x(seq(0,2,length.out=3+1)*pi),-1))
    > triangle
               [,1] [,2]
    [1,]  0.0000000  1.0
    [2,]  0.8660254 -0.5
    [3,] -0.8660254 -0.5
    These were admixture proportions in one K=3 run:

Code:
    > admix=read.table(text="Saami.DG 0.238969 0.761021 0.000010\nMansi.DG 0.534995 0.464994 0.000010",row.names=1)
    Then the x and y coordinates inside the triangle would be these:

Code:
    > as.matrix(admix)%*%triangle
                  [,1]       [,2]
    Saami.DG 0.6590549 -0.1415465
    Mansi.DG 0.4026880  0.3024930

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 04:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,471
    Given: 1,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Komintasavalta View Post
    That's exactly what I thought about doing, but I didn't think it would be that simple. But it actually worked. I made a new version of the Dodecad k12b graph in my previous post where I multiplied the matrix of admixture percentages by the FST matrix. It reduced the number of clusters in Europe and Caucasus, because the North_European, Atlantic_Med, and Caucasus components have low FST distances with each other. But it expectedly increased the number of clusters in Africa. Previously the three closest neighbors of Selkups were Kets, Dolgans, and Yukaghirs, because they all have a high proportion of the Siberian component, which is an Nganasan-like central-north Siberian component. Selkups were relatively far from Siberian populations with low Siberian and high Southeast_Asian, like Altaians. After multiplying by the FST matrix, Selkups became closer to southern Siberians like Altaians.

My script also uses matrix multiplication to calculate the coordinates inside the polygon. For example these are the corners of an equilateral triangle centered in the origin with radius 1:

Code:
    > triangle=sapply(c(sin,cos),function(x)head(x(seq(0,2,length.out=3+1)*pi),-1))
    > triangle
               [,1] [,2]
    [1,]  0.0000000  1.0
    [2,]  0.8660254 -0.5
    [3,] -0.8660254 -0.5
    These were admixture proportions in one K=3 run:

Code:
    > admix=read.table(text="Saami.DG 0.238969 0.761021 0.000010\nMansi.DG 0.534995 0.464994 0.000010",row.names=1)
    Then the x and y coordinates inside the triangle would be these:

Code:
    > as.matrix(admix)%*%triangle
                  [,1]       [,2]
    Saami.DG 0.6590549 -0.1415465
    Mansi.DG 0.4026880  0.3024930
    aaah so that's what you're doing.

it's also how the "location predictors" like these work:

https://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/Europe.htm
    https://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/K15.htm

here i scaled k36 averages into real-life geographic coordinates:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...uot-PCA-quot-)

(north atlantic is scaled to London, Italian to Rome etc.)

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Permic
    Ethnicity
    Peasant
    Ancestry
    コミ
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Relationship Status
    Virgin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterski View Post
    Very neat-looking! What software did you use to create these diagrams? R ???
    Yeah.

On macOS, you can run my scripts like this:

Code:
    brew install R
    brew install udunits # needed by ggforce
    R -e 'install.packages(c("tidyverse","ggforce","ggrepel"),repos="https://cloud.r-project.org")'
    R -e path/to/script.R
    I think a lot of Windows users just use the RStudio IDE: https://www.rstudio.com. But I hate GUIs and I use R from Emacs:

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,627
    Given: 21,630

0 Not allowed!

This could be a good thread to post this link without being a complete Off Topic and being reunited several people with some interest in this type of "things":

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Permic
    Ethnicity
    Peasant
    Ancestry
    コミ
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Relationship Status
    Virgin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Here's Dodecad K7b.

When I calculated the clusters and the nearest neighbors, I now multiplied the matrix of admixture percentages with a square root of the matrix of FST distances between the admixture components. When I didn't take the square root of the FST distances, it seemed to have a too radical effect, and even Saudis were part of the same cluster with Finns.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Yeah.
    did you ever try calculating FST distances between populations with smartpca?

i tried now and i get this in the logfile:

"population: 0 Case 3450"

it recognizes 0 populations for some reason

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Permic
    Ethnicity
    Peasant
    Ancestry
    コミ
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Relationship Status
    Virgin
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vbnetkhio View Post
    did you ever try calculating FST distances between populations with smartpca?

i tried now and i get this in the logfile:

"population: 0 Case 3450"

it recognizes 0 populations for some reason
    You need to add population numbers to the sixth field of the fam file: https://www.biostars.org/p/266511/. The commands below use integers starting from 10 as group identifiers, because the numbers 1, 2, and 9 have a special meaning (1 assigns the line as a case, 2 assigns it as a control, and 9 ignores it).

`phylipoutname: fstfilename` saves an FST matrix to a file, but in the file the FST values only have three digits after the decimal point. There's also the undocumented parameter `fsthiprecision: YES` which causes the FST values that are printed to STDOUT to be multiplied by million instead of thousand, but it doesn't affect the contents of the `phylipoutname` file.

If an FST run includes more than 100 populations, SmartPCA exits with an error unless you include a parameter like `maxpops: 1000`.

Code:
    x=uralic
    sed 1d v44.3_HO_public.anno|sort -t$'\t' -rnk15|awk -F\\t '!a[$3]++{print$2,$8}'|awk 'NR==FNR{a[$0];next}$2 in a' <(printf %s\\n Besermyan Enets Estonian Finnish Hungarian Karelian Mansi Mordovian Nganasan Saami.DG Selkup Udmurt Veps) ->$x.pick
    plink --allow-no-sex --bfile g/p/ho --keep <(awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1];next}$2 in a' $x.pick v44.3_HO_public.fam) --make-bed --out $x
    awk '!a[$2]++{i++}{print$1,i}' <(sort -k2 $x.pick)|awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$2;next}{$6=a[$2]+9}1' - $x.fam>$x.famtemp;mv $x.fam{temp,}
    smartpca -p <(printf %s\\n genotypename:\ $x.bed snpname:\ $x.bim indivname:\ $x.fam fstonly:\ YES fsthiprecision:\ YES)|tee $x.smartpca
    p=$(awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$2;next}{print a[$2]}' $x.{pick,fam}|awk '!a[$0]++')
    sed -n '/fst \*1000000/,/^$/p' $x.smartpca|sed 1,2d|sed \$d|tr -s ' ' ,|cut -d, -f3-|paste -d, <(printf %s\\n "$p") -|cat <(printf %s\\n '' "$p"|paste -sd,) ->$x.fst
    Maybe you're supposed to do LD pruning before calculating FST, because Kerminen et al. 2021 said this: "We calculated pairwise-FST between the reference groups (Fig 2) and the ancestor candidate groups (S9 Fig) using SmartPCA of EIGENSOFT package[7] (fstonly: YES, fsthiprecision: YES) and 56,661 LD-independent variants."
    Last edited by Komintasavalta; 05-09-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Fixed code so population names are printed in right order

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

You need to add population numbers to the sixth field of the fam file: https://www.biostars.org/p/266511/. The commands below use integers starting from 10 as group identifiers, because the numbers 1, 2, and 9 have a special meaning (1 assigns the line as a case, 2 assigns it as a control, and 9 ignores it).

`phylipoutname: fstfilename` saves an FST matrix to a file, but in the file the FST values only have three digits after the decimal point. There's also the undocumented parameter `fsthiprecision: YES` which causes the FST values that are printed to STDOUT to be multiplied by million instead of thousand, but it doesn't affect the contents of the `phylipoutname` file.

If an FST run includes more than 100 populations, SmartPCA exits with an error unless you include a parameter like `maxpops: 1000`.

So I ended up with code like this:

Code:
    x=uralic
    printf %s\\n Besermyan Enets Estonian Finnish Hungarian Karelian Mansi Mordovian Nganasan Saami.DG Selkup Udmurt Veps>$x.pop
    sed 1d v44.3_HO_public.anno|sort -t$'\t' -rnk15|awk -F\\t '!a[$3]++{print$2,$8}'|awk 'NR==FNR{a[$0];next}$2 in a' $x.pop ->$x.pick
    plink --allow-no-sex --bfile v44.3_HO_public --keep <(awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1];next}$2 in a' $x.pick v44.3_HO_public.fam) --make-bed --out $x
    awk '!a[$2]++{i++}{print$1,i}' $x.pick|awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$2;next}{$6=a[$2]+9}1' - $x.fam>$x.famtemp;mv $x.fam{temp,}
    smartpca -p <(printf %s\\n genotypename:\ $x.bed snpname:\ $x.bim indivname:\ $x.fam fstonly:\ YES fsthiprecision:\ YES)|tee $x.smartpca
    p=$(cut -d' ' -f2 $x.pick|awk '!a[$0]++');sed -n '/fst \*1000000/,/^$/p' $x.smartpca|sed 1,2d|sed \$d|tr -s ' ' ,|cut -d, -f3-|paste -d, <(echo "$p") -|cat <(printf %s\\n '' "$p"|paste -sd,) ->$x.fst
    Maybe you're supposed to do LD pruning before calculating FST, because Kerminen et al. 2021 said this: "We calculated pairwise-FST between the reference groups (Fig 2) and the ancestor candidate groups (S9 Fig) using SmartPCA of EIGENSOFT package[7] (fstonly: YES, fsthiprecision: YES) and 56,661 LD-independent variants."
    would there be any problems with calculating fst this way:

run supervised admixture, assign each sample to it's population, and run with as many K as there is populations, and fst gets written to the output.

http://dalexander.github.io/admixtur...ure-manual.pdf

smartpca's version takes forever, this could actually be faster? because there are no unassigned samples, just the allele frequencies and fst will be calculated

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information