Thread: Am I wrong for preferring the terms “negro” & “colored” over “black”?

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Default Am I wrong for preferring the terms “negro” & “colored” over “black”?

The words “negro” and “colored” were the proper and formal terms for people of African, and possibly Melanesian, background during the time of the words’ usage, for “negro” that would have been from around the mid-16th century right up to the 1980’s, and the word “colored” seems to have been in formal use from the mid to late 18th century right up to the 1980’s. By the 1980’s those words had become uncouth.

The word “Negro” has equivalents in other European languages, Italian also used “negro” (the Italian word for black is “nero” (masculine) or “nera” (feminine)) French used “nčgre” & Germanic languages used “neger”, & it probably became uncouth in those languages around the same time as in English.

Like many words, their origins are probably unclear, but the term “negro” certainly has its origins in the Spanish and Portuguese word for the color black, the Iberians being the first Europeans to have extensive contact with Africans, and the term “colored” probably has its origins in how people of non-European descent can have various shades of skin tones.

I’ve always felt that the term “negro” & “colored” were more accurate to describe people of African descent, & possibly Melanesian & South Asian descent as well. First of all, there are other dark skinned peoples in the world who are not of African descent, most notably Melanesians & South Asians like Indians and Sri-Lankans, and they can be very dark-skinned indeed, but they, or at least not South Asians, are not called “black”. Second of all, those people usually aren’t literally black, they’re usually shades of brown. Similarly, I’d personally prefer the term “Caucasian” over “white” because people people of European descent aren’t literally white, but are shades of khaki, and most people of East Asian and European descent share the same skin tones. I like the term “coloured” because its an umbrella term for all non-white people generally, particularly those of darker skin. Why have the terms “negro” and “colored” become uncouth and even offensive?

A quick google search for “why while people are called Caucasian” & the Wikipedia article on Caucasian race should reveal why, basically “The term “Caucasian” originated from a growing 18th-century European science of racial classification. German anatomist Johann Blumenbach visited the Caucasus Mountains, located between the Caspian and Black seas, and he must have been enchanted because he labeled the people there “Caucasians” and proposed that they were created in God’s image as an ideal form of humanity. And the label has stuck to this day.”

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baldic
    Ethnicity
    Bald
    Ancestry
    Bald individuals
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Baldid
    Politics
    Pro-Baldness, Hair Loss
    Hero
    Charles the Bald
    Religion
    Ironically Calvinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,039
    Given: 996

0 Not allowed!

here negros are just called negros, i didn't know it was seen as racism in unites states.

Last Online
    01-31-2024 @ 09:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Cretan Greek
    Ancestry
    Kallikratis and Monemvasia
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    J2a M-241 (Cretan subclade)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 295

0 Not allowed!

Yes definetly

I have mastered chakra and can also do romjutsu
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,174
    Given: 58,944

0 Not allowed!

I think colored is still politically correct as in commanly used term POC [people of color] but negroe is politically incorrect now. I prefer Sub Saharan African or African American
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum User Cobra about Mortimer

I was blind but now I see
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-10-2024 @ 03:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,666
    Given: 5,623

0 Not allowed!

This PC discussion is idiotic, negro is literally a synonym of black, so why is not "black" also considered racist?

Alexandro

0 Not allowed!

Not wrong. I'm not one who believes words should be stigmatized or censored, however, it is rather antiquated and comes off a little strange.

Thread Information