Thread: 150 Oxford Lecturers set to boycott teaching following a decision to keep a statue of Cecil Rhodes

Last Online
    12-07-2023 @ 12:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ulster & North Leinster Irish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 77

0 Not allowed!

Default 150 Oxford Lecturers set to boycott teaching following a decision to keep a statue of Cecil Rhodes

There has been long campaign to try and get Cecil Rhodes statue removed from Oxford University, however a decision has been to keep it and there has been a huge backlash among academics and students. This follows students yesterday students voting to remove a portrait of the queen.

About 150 Oxford University academics are refusing to teach at one of its colleges after it decided to keep its controversial statue of Cecil Rhodes.

For years campaigners have been calling for the statue at Oriel College to go, saying Rhodes stood for white supremacy and racism.

But last month the college decided not to take it down for practical reasons.

Now, some academics are boycotting Oriel and have signed a petition saying the statue "glorifies colonialism".

They are refusing to give tutorials to undergraduates from Oriel or attend talks there, as first reported by the Daily Telegraph.

The college declined to comment on the matter when contacted by the BBC.

A No 10 spokesman said the government would expect "appropriate action" to be taken if the teaching of students was disrupted by the dispute, such as providing compensation.

Rhodes was a businessman and politician who played a big role in southern Africa in the 19th Century.

He thought of the English as a master race, and his critics see him as the ultimate representation of colonialism and one of the people who helped pave the way for apartheid.

He had been a student at Oriel, and his statue is now above a doorway of a building named after him.

Oriel's governing body said last year that the majority of its members wished the statue to be removed.

But after an inquiry, the college decided not to remove it due to the cost and complex planning processes.

The Oxford lecturers say the college's decision not to remove the statue "undermines us all", and that the whole university can only work to eradicate racism if all its colleges do so.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57422751

Its weird this because I'm from an immigrant background with my parents both Irish and no doubt some of these controversial figures like Rhodes, Churchill, Cromwell etc weren't great for Ireland (Cromwell certainly wasn't) but I've never had this urge to see statues taken down or felt 'offended' by them. Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire has a big statue of Cromwell (since it was his hometown), but I recognise he had a significant role in shaping British history. Obviously I want people to be aware of his legacy in Ireland but after that I don't care.

Tbh pretty much nearly all important and historic figures before 1950 held racist and sexist views that wouldn't be acceptable today, even the so called "good" people back then.

Last Online
    07-09-2021 @ 03:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    North-Korea
    Religion
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

This is bound to happen. How come now people have an issue with the statue?

Because the people in question now consists of those who belong to the very demographic which the indivudal the statue is based on had oppressed.

Of course, those people are going to be upset. In this same way, if Russia was to import massive amounts of ethnic Germans to their country, then statues of Stalin would also be questioned by the German miniority. Likewise, if Haiti now was to import French people, they too would have an issue with statues of Jean-Jacques Dessalines (founding father of Haiti) who was also responsible for the massacre of French people on the island when the nation was founded.

Now, you can assimilate some people so they may identify with the host country. It's easy to assimilate Germans into Russians, they look similar plus Germans and Russians share similar culture (I believe the great Queen Catherine of Russia, admired by the nation, was an ethnic German herself). But you can't assimilate French people to Haitian life and culture because...well...they look different. So while eventually, the children and grandchildren of the Germans will 'become Russians' despite being ethnic Germans, the French cannot become Haitians without their children marrying outside their ethnic groups.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,119
    Given: 10,159

1 Not allowed!

The statue should stay. He’s part of the history of the college regardless of acts he committed.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    There has been long campaign to try and get Cecil Rhodes statue removed from Oxford University, however a decision has been to keep it and there has been a huge backlash among academics and students. This follows students yesterday students voting to remove a portrait of the queen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57422751

Its weird this because I'm from an immigrant background with my parents both Irish and no doubt some of these controversial figures like Rhodes, Churchill, Cromwell etc weren't great for Ireland (Cromwell certainly wasn't) but I've never had this urge to see statues taken down or felt 'offended' by them. Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire has a big statue of Cromwell (since it was his hometown), but I recognise he had a significant role in shaping British history. Obviously I want people to be aware of his legacy in Ireland but after that I don't care.

Tbh pretty much nearly all important and historic figures before 1950 held racist and sexist views that wouldn't be acceptable today, even the so called "good" people back then.
    My parents like to larp as plastic paddies too but my fathers' name is Gordon (his mother was English as well) and my mother is half German.

My name is 'Irish' but I could easily change my name to Charles Devonshire or Richard Cornish because I don't look Irish. I don't think Scots have anything to do with Germans either :

Seems to me a lot of Irish people are part Scots, English, and Norman but not German. The German is just too much so I am not Irish lulz.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,410
    Given: 7,868

0 Not allowed!

First of all, it's part of Oxford's history, it's going nowhere.

Secondly, it's quite ironic they want to cancel a man after whom the greatest scholarship in the world is named. And under which hundreds of non-whites have been awarded with, especially from South Africa.

Thirdly, if Oxford doesn't cut the crap immediately, I, along with many others, will boycott it.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Thread Information