Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you solve the problem of Evil ?

Banned
    Last Online
    05-30-2022 @ 10:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    արաբ
    Country
    Morocco
    Region
    Brussels
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,065
    Given: 3,120

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Radimir View Post
    Ecclesiastes 3:11 says
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Now you can interpret this passage in many ways but I think what the author is suggesting is that God has put it in our minds to ask these sort of questions. So whether it be theologians and philosophers or even presently yourself and I and anyone who replies discussing this. It's God's will for us to want to figure out the purpose of everything. Now is God going to answer those questions? Who knows.

The author who wrote Ecclesiastes ends by saying no man can fathom it, God Himself says some things just belongs to Him only and His ways and thoughts are above ours, that is not necessarily a yes or no. I think it's God's way of saying Next question without giving an answer.
    Maybe it's mysteries like these that makes us want to seek God out or want to figure out what is our purpose? It certainly seems so.
    Alright that would be valid I suppose thanks for your answer mate now let's see what other minds have to say about it

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilcar View Post
    in which way ? Because like I said Evil can exist outside any human will
    Disease etc is a part of original sin, it doesn't just concern evil committed by humans but relates to all death.

I honestly don't see the problem of evil as much of a problem, it seems more of a subjective problem, than something which proves or disproves gods existence. I see it brought up as an objection much less by Atheist these days, seemed more of a new Atheist objection.

Last Online
    04-15-2024 @ 09:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North africa
    Ethnicity
    Amazigh
    Country
    Chad
    Y-DNA
    G-L1259
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 267

2 Not allowed!

There is no evil or good. There is only nature's way of things. We add morality and philosophy into the equation. We dont choose what is good and evil,because we are subjective in our morality.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    արաբ
    Country
    Morocco
    Region
    Brussels
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rædwald View Post
    Nature in itself isn't evil.
    here Evil can be understood in a broader sense : things like malformations, child being killed by predators, pandemic/viruses, etc

Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    half Persian, half Siamese
    Country
    Slovakia
    Taxonomy
    meow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,516
    Given: 4,502

2 Not allowed!

If God is love and light, then it's His very existence that defines the opposite stuff as evil.
    If there was no miracles and happiness, then what we consider misfortune and suffering would not be considered bad, it would simply be.
    Because we wouldn't know any other way.
    But thanks to Him we know better.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austrian
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21/U106/M405
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,507
    Given: 8,746

1 Not allowed!

There is no objective value (no moralic at least)- just will to power or so. the master creates that value

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    արաբ
    Country
    Morocco
    Region
    Brussels
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    Disease etc is a part of original sin, it doesn't just concern evil committed by humans but relates to all death.

I honestly don't see the problem of evil as much of a problem, it seems more of a subjective problem, than something which proves or disproves gods existence. I see it brought up as an objection much less by Atheist these days, seemed more of a new Atheist objection.
    Then how do you reconciliate the idea of an omnipotent and loving God with it ? Original sin isn't resolving it, it would mean God purposely let it happen with all the evil consequences it implies...

I also think in first-world countries people tend to really underestimate how evil our world can be sometimes because of their secured daily life where death and suffering are quite exceptionnals which would explain why it doesn't appear to be such a great problem. You can maybe excuse crimes like rape, robberies, killings, etc with original sin or Free will but it losts all its meaning when you're confronted with people who have been kept and tortured in caves for decades, children being savagely raped and killed, pandemy killing most of your children, etc

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    արաբ
    Country
    Morocco
    Region
    Brussels
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jfgh676 View Post
    There is no evil or good. There is only nature's way of things. We add morality and philosophy into the equation. We dont choose what is good and evil,because we are subjective in our morality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immanenz View Post
    There is no objective value (no moralic at least)- just will to power or so. the master creates that value

this relativist argument doesn't match reality : Evil in that case would be linked to physical/mental suffering. Would you say paedophilia isn't ultimately evil ? Would you say that torturing a child for the sake of pleasure isn't by essence evil ?

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilcar View Post
    Then how do you reconciliate the idea of an omnipotent and loving God with it ? Original sin isn't resolving it, it would mean God purposely let it happen with all the evil consequences it implies...

I also think in first-world countries people tend to really underestimate how evil our world can be sometimes because of their secured daily life where death and suffering are quite exceptionnals which would explain why it doesn't appear to be such a great problem. You can maybe excuse crimes like rape, robberies, killings, etc with original sin or Free will but it losts all its meaning when you're confronted with people who have been kept and tortured in caves for decades, children being savagely raped and killed, pandemy killing most of your children, etc
    I think this here gives a good answer to your question.https://www.catholic.com/magazine/on...roblem-of-evil

Latter part of your post is probably true, but inversely third world people are also the most religious and 1st world the most Atheist.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    արաբ
    Country
    Morocco
    Region
    Brussels
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
    If God is love and light, then it's His very existence that defines the opposite stuff as evil.
    If there was no miracles and happiness, then what we consider misfortune and suffering would not be considered bad, it would simply be.
    Because we wouldn't know any other way.
    But thanks to Him we know better.
    but isn't Heaven supposed to be a place bereft of Evil ? If yes then it would mean an existence with God without evil is totally possible. No need for the necessary existence of evil to underline the existence of Good in that case.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information