13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with independence

7 53.85%
  • I am against independence

5 38.46%
  • None

1 7.69%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Scottish independence for or against?

Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 02:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,166
    Given: 4,758

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Davystayn View Post
    I understand a lot of fans of the smaller Scottish clubs like Kilmarnock, St Mirren etc, make up a lot of the Tartan army, Rangers probably least so.

Rangers and Celtic loom over everything in terms of support club wise though, and some of the Snp leadership openly support Celtic, so it has got more entrenched.
    The majority of the Celtic fan is in favor of independence while the majority of the Rangers fan is against it.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-14-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland and Wales.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,643
    Given: 2,009

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    The majority of the Celtic fan is in favor of independence while the majority of the Rangers fan is against it.
    Yes that seems to be the case. Also Scottish national team football fans mainly for it, Scottish Rugby fans mainly against

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,290
    Given: 5,519

0 Not allowed!

The South East of England is very different from the rest of England though, never mind Scotland. That is the real problem, dominance of London, unless you are well off there it is like Mordor
    True, the dominance of finance does lead to a certain type of person often inhabiting areas in the SE, London is extremely posh, it is where a lot of home counties kids go to live it up after university i would argue for a separate SE state personally and it would mean that all the resentment in regions 150+ miles away about the funding of London and the SE would dissapear, can't say that people here are in favour of it but seeing how Brexit develops they might become in favour of it, especially as the SE was always more closely tied with the EU, perhaps we should rejoin the EU as the greater south east.

Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 02:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,166
    Given: 4,758

0 Not allowed!

Yes that seems to be the case. Also Scottish national team football fans mainly for it, Scottish Rugby fans mainly against
    And what is your opinion on this? in the event of Scottish independence becoming a reality, how much will it affect the rest of the UK?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    And what is your opinion on this? in the event of Scottish independence becoming a reality, how much will it affect the rest of the UK?
    There was a vote in 2014, 45% voted to leave the UK, 55% didn't. The EU result 67% or Scots voted to stay in EU, though turnout was much lower than in 2014, but this has been used as a reason for another referendum.

The opposition to independence are divided into 3 political parties, so the Snp usually win enough seats for a majority in the Scottish Parliament.

If Scots want to leave then that is up to them, but the 2014 voted they decided not to, if there is another referendum and it is another no vote then Snp supporters woud probably want another one.

The campaign for Scottish independence is based on a very strong pro EU stance, so joining another Union straight away. It is also portrayed as progressive, liberal, pro blm etc, to attract student votes, combined with an obsession with Bannockburn, a great victory 700 years ago, an odd combination, but heyho.

My issue with it is that a great many people now are part Scots, part Irish etc, all that history is tied up in everybody. It creates division when it doesn't really exist.

Went through all this before in the years up to 2014 so it is nothing new. Polls show it does fluctuate but hovers around 45-52%. I'm sure a Scots Snp supporter will be on to correct me

Banned
    Last Online
    02-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Magyar
    Ancestry
    Historic Hungary/Holy Roman Empire
    Country
    Hungary
    Y-DNA
    R-M417 (8700 ybp)
    mtDNA
    H10-a T16093C (9000 ybp)
    Politics
    Green Left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,864
    Given: 444

0 Not allowed!

I agree in the democratic process of national self-determination of people, so as an outsider I can only feel empathy for those Scots who would finally want their own independent country. However it has to be based on the democratic will of the majority of Scotland's population. For example I am aware that the large majority people of Wales wouldn't want to secede from the UK, thus in their case the opinion of the majority has to be respected. I always found it rather odd that most English don't want their own separate country, how come UK allegiance is much stronger with them than English allegiance?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Welsh independence hs always been there too but hasn't had its Hollywood treatment, but has been gaining recently, though not as much as Scotland. Wales and Scotland have their own parliaments and manage health services for example themselves.

English identity is very much tied in with UK stuff, the Normans subjugated Eng first then Wales and Scotland soonish after. There is no narrative of being oppressed, real or imagined, as you get in Wales and Scotland.

The UK govt granted a referendum for Scotland, in the year 700 years after Bannockburn, no riot police beating up protestors like in Catalonia for example.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,432
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

One reason of mine to support the Scottish independence is that their situation reminds me of the Finnish Great Duchy during the Russian era. England is pretty much like Russia. Another reason is my hot Scottish blood of several Scottish clans from the 17th century. In a way I still fight for them ��

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information