Oblomov
    Religion
    oblomovchtchina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,039
    Given: 4,960

2 Not allowed!

Default Children’s literature

What should be in the ideal children’s library? What books do you give to (your) children? How do you choose them? Have you been disappointed by some books?

Please propose books, precise the age from which a child should appreciate them, make assessments of books, be them positive or negative.

As for me, these are the main selection criteria:

- The respect of the language, of its vocabulary, of its syntax, of its musicality/poetry.
    - The aesthetic quality of the book, especially of the albums, suitable for awakening to art.
    - The coherence with moral values and traditional markers founding our societies, not by conformity, but to enable the child reader to develop in a healthy and balanced way.
    - A positive and optimistic outlook on the characters and situations, real or imaginary.

Since I have a daughter, I have bought a lot of books for her. But I admit the last book I bought for her was a mistake, I bought it too fast. It’s the book Je veux un chien (I want a dog), by the famous Belgian illustrator and author of Swedish and British origin Kitty Crowther:

I bought it because I was seduced by the original aesthetics of the pictures, the colours, and also the topic, because it’s about a little girl who wants a dog and is going to take one from a dog shelter. BUT there’s a problem with the text: the title is already a problem, because saying “je veux” is bad-mannered and capricious, while the little girl achieves her aims with this behaviour… Furthermore, inside the book, the mother tells her daughter she is supid and at another moment, the little girl says something as harsh as “I hate school”…

On the other hand, The Mouse Family, by the Japanese Kazuo Iwamura is a marvelous discovery. It’s about a large energetic and traditional mouse family and values of solidarity and complementarity are highlighted. The soft pictures are full of interesting details. (before 4 yo)

Last edited by Laly; 06-21-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,530
    Given: 24,991

3 Not allowed!

Very admirable of you to consider so carefully and thoughtfully the books for your daughter.

2 great books I recommend:

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

What I would also like to say is that I think it is okay that you bought I Want a Dog, it must have some good qualities for you to have wanted to get it for her. Nothing is perfect, and unfortunately this snotty behavior displayed by the girl in the story is very common nowadays in children's programming like (Disney/Nickelodeon) and many current children's books. Quite often I have to remind my children that it is important not to speak or behave that way in real life. The good news is that I have found that how you as a parent behave and treat others has far more impact on how your own children behave then the influence of either books or TV. So far, anyway

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ᖭི༏ᖫྀ
    Ancestry
    Med
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,610
    Given: 10,184

3 Not allowed!

My children are very young so they enjoy looking at simple books. It's important to have books with real images at this age like farm animals, rather than cartoonish pictures so they can make sense of the world. It also helps to identify objects and animals easier which helps their speech. But they also enjoy plenty of different books as part of their daily bedtime routine, I usually sit them down together and read a book that stimulates interaction between them. The very hungry caterpillar, We're going on a bear hunt, Monkey puzzle and The Gruffalo are their current favourites.

Neighborhood Friendly Nuna <3
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Austronesian
    Ethnicity
    Samoan
    Ancestry
    Samoan
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Longbowman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,533
    Given: 11,712

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Very admirable of you to consider so carefully and thoughtfully the books for your daughter.

What I would also like to say is that I think it is okay that you bought I Want a Dog, it must have some good qualities for you to have wanted to get it for her. Nothing is perfect, and unfortunately this snotty behavior displayed by the girl in the story is very common nowadays in children's programming like (Disney/Nickelodeon) and many current children's books. Quite often I have to remind my children that it is important not to speak or behave that way in real life. The good news is that I have found that how you as a parent behave and treat others has far more impact on how your own children behave then the influence of either books or TV. So far, anyway
    I second these two choices. They’re both books that have shaped my childhood and given me insight on what it means to love deeply.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Quintessential Western Euro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese, Walloon, Flemish, Dutch, German, Luxembourgish, English
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Lazy housewife
    Hero
    Oblomov
    Religion
    oblomovchtchina
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ylla View Post
    My children are very young so they enjoy looking at simple books. It's important to have books with real images at this age like farm animals, rather than cartoonish pictures so they can make sense of the world. It also helps to identify objects and animals easier which helps their speech. But they also enjoy plenty of different books as part of their daily bedtime routine, I usually sit them down together and read a book that stimulates interaction between them. The very hungry caterpillar, We're going on a bear hunt, Monkey puzzle and The Gruffalo are their current favourites.
    Thank you so much my dear friends for your advices!

I didn’t know at all about these books and their authors. I went this afternoon to my favourite bookshop, the Catholic bookshop, and except one title, all were there, available and I bought them!! I ordered the one that wasn’t available.

I totally agree with both of you concerning cartoons. We don’t have a television and we don’t look for modern cartoons, but when I go to other peoples’ place or when we’re in some public places or in waiting rooms, I happen to see cartoons. And I am disgusted by what I see. I see ugly images moving at a frenetic rhythm, with ugly characters, both in their appearance and in their behaviour, shouting out, mainly onomatopoeia, grossly. It’s totally consistent with our decadent societies, which promote ugliness. Of course, there are exceptions among contemporary cartoons. Anyway, the last cartoons I’ve watched with my daughter are that of the amazing German female filmmaker Lotte Reiniger, from the beginning of the last century. In her films, she borrows the technique of the shadow puppets. An example of her work, from 1935:

Last edited by Laly; 06-22-2021 at 06:06 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-26-2022 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unique
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    R-M222
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,345
    Given: 9,352

1 Not allowed!

-itz, -stein, - do we have anything European instead
    Last edited by Arūnas; 06-21-2021 at 06:38 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ᖭི༏ᖫྀ
    Ancestry
    Med
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,610
    Given: 10,184

1 Not allowed!

No worries, Laly. I hope your little ones enjoy them as much as mine do.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Quintessential Western Euro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese, Walloon, Flemish, Dutch, German, Luxembourgish, English
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Lazy housewife
    Hero
    Oblomov
    Religion
    oblomovchtchina
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Veljo View Post
    -itz, -stein, - do we have anything European instead
    This is for you: The Birthday of the King (original title: Urodziny króla), by Przemysław Wechterowicz and Kasia Walentynowicz. The text, written in verse, is rich and melodious, and the illustrations are as lovely as the text. So it’s a very poetic book, tinged with humour and very gourmand.

Last edited by Laly; 06-22-2021 at 09:17 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:55 AM
    Country
    Jamaica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,667
    Given: 5,726

2 Not allowed!

Le Petit Prince is a classic

I would also recommend anything by Astrid Lindgren.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,969
    Given: 6,598

3 Not allowed!

Beatrix Potter, Enid Blyton, C.S. Lewis, Paul Jennings, Roald Dahl, R.L. Stine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information