View Poll Results: Which theory is true about the origin of Slovaks?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Moravian Theory

8 42.11%
  • Czecho-Polish Theory

3 15.79%
  • Slavicized Magyar Theory

5 26.32%
  • Great Moravians, but they are mixed with Hungarians

2 10.53%
  • Czecho-Polish, but they are mixed with Hungarians

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Slovaks?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Slovaks should be more often in "who is the most Slavic discussion". People often overlook that. Overall Slovaks are among groups with highest amount of Early Slavic ancestry, they are Slavic as fuck with minor non Slavic admix.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

0 Not allowed!

In my opinion Great Moravian Theory + some later influx from Poland, but it was not decisive.

I wonder if "Polak Węgier dwa bratanki" saying refers also to "Northern Hungary" (Slovakia).

=====

Slavicized Magyar Theory is ridiculous. Hungarians are for the most part Magyarized Slavs, not the other way around.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Piotraschke View Post
    In my opinion Great Moravian Theory + some later influx from Poland, but it was not decisive.

Slavicized Magyar Theory is ridiculous. Hungarians are for the most part Magyarized Slavs, not the other way around.
    there is Hungarian admixture among Slovaks though, just looking at the most popular surnames it's visible.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

hmm according to this model than are less Slavic than I tought (I expected them being close to 80%) but who knows. Slovak average anyhow isn't made out of large sample size iirc.

Target: Slovak
    Distance: 1.2941% / 1.29414938

63.4 Slavic
    26.3 Celtic
    10.3 Germanic

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,139
    Given: 9,067

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Why? No need at all, both countries are doing great and Slovaks are finally bosses in their own house.

Are Slovaks emotional tho? Probably yes compared to Czechs, but hardly to south Slavs(and maybe even Ukrainians for eg). My friend has been living in Bratislava for years. She say Slovaks are cold and "gray".
    Her best friends in there are Slovak Hungarians, she says they're different and quite more warm/friendly.

And yeah, I agree they seem pretty racist. Her husband is East Asian and has been attacked twice by skineheads so far, that would never happen here (lived in Cro for years, never any issues, people were super friendly and curious towards him)
    Compared to Czechs yes, the thing is what I'm trying to say, Slovaks have this stigma that when something gets in their head they immediately do it without thinking. It's like they all turn into attacking mode suddenly. In other cases Slovaks are very cold people more on the introverted side, but this is mostly known about western Slovaks. Eastern Slovaks are much more sociable because they also drink more and are much less fortunate than those from the western Slovakia. I have many friends from the east and they are realy good people.

Czechs also seem more easy going than Slovaks, where Slovak rages and keeps raging a Czech would rage for 5 seconds and then he would just let it be, because he doesn't care anymore.

You see, in Slovakia there used to be huge propaganda from Serbs about Kosovo. Almost every Slovak will know to say you that Kosovo is Serbia, but when you ask any single fact or argument he can't come up with one. I understand Slovaks siding with their Slavic counterpart, but this is the thing with Slovaks, something gets into their head and forget you change their opinion.

Both those countries are racist as hell, believe me. Slovaks imo though twice more. Many jokes actually are related to race, they also shittalk Hungarians alot, I feel like there is no nation Slovaks acutally like, they shit on everyone. Don't know why but that's how it is. Although you see they like to talk like this alot, but I don't think there is a deep meaning in their words(I don't think they would just deliberately just hate the ethnic but shit talking is "okay". Maybe DNA frustration? Who knows.

And also I agree with Hungarians beeing much much more warmer. You can feel it imediately when you enter any Hungarian village in Slovakia. People even might talk to you without knowing you, a Slovak would just stare at you and mind of bussiness. Hungarians are definitely warmer people and much more nicer. Although some people might say otherwise. I think Hungarians were always surrounded by Slavic speaking countries, so basically enemies in older times, but you can't imagine how their face changes when you talk to them in Hungarian. They smile back and help.

Last time I went from Kosovo back to Slovakia, I had 25-30kg of yellow paprika in my trunk. The allowance is like 4-6kg ? I think. The police was controlling me, I mostly talk in English when dealing with them. I switched to Hungarian and suddenly they didn't care about the paprika in my trunk XDD He opened the trunk and was like damn son thats alot and I started to laugh. He said atleast just dump one case so the captain wont care XD I bet if I didnt speak in Hungarian I would have to dump everything or atleast 25kg XD

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,828
    Given: 828

1 Not allowed!

Why?
    I just like the name

It's up to them, of course.

Apparently Slovaks see it as Czech imperialism, if this article is to be believed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakism

Quote Originally Posted by Czechoslovakism
    Czechoslovakism went into almost total oblivion, and if mentioned it was referred to by Slovaks as disguised Czech expansionism.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

0 Not allowed!

hmm according to this model than are less Slavic than I tought (I expected them being close to 80%) but who knows. Slovak average anyhow isn't made out of large sample size iirc.

Target: Slovak
    Distance: 1.2941% / 1.29414938

63.4 Slavic
    26.3 Celtic
    10.3 Germanic
    Can you post the source coordinates for this model?

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,011
    Given: 12,243

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crn Volk View Post
    No mention of ethnic Slovaks in those states.
    But those people were ancestors of Slovaks. Using this logic, modern East Slavic nations can't claim Kievan Rus because Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusians didn't exist at the time.

Slovak = Slav. Slovak come from Slovene / Slav, the word just evolved in the medieval and changed from Slovene to slovak. Slovaks in their own language they still call themselves Slavs (eg. Slovenka - a female Slovak person, slovensky - slovak (adjactive). Slovene is old name for Slavs. Slovenians are another slavic nation that refer to themselves as Slavs.
    Wikipedia:
    The name Slovak is derived from *Slověninъ, plural *Slověně, the old name of the Slavs (Proglas, around 863).[a] The original stem has been preserved in all Slovak words except the masculine noun; the feminine noun is Slovenka, the adjective is slovenský, the language is slovenčina and the country is Slovensko. The first written mention of adjective slovenský (Slovak) is in 1294 (ad parvam arborem nystra slowenski breza ubi est meta).[17]

The original name of Slovaks Slovenin/Slovene was still recorded in Pressburg Latin-Czech Dictionary (the 14th century),[18] but it changed to Slovák under the influence of Czech and Polish (around 1400). The first written mention of new form in the territory of present-day Slovakia is from Bardejov (1444, "Nicoulaus Cossibor hauptman, Nicolaus Czech et Slowak, stipendiarii supremi"). The mentions in Czech sources are older (1375 and 1385).[19] The change is not related to the ethnogenesis of Slovaks, but exclusively to linguistic changes in the West Slavic languages. The word Slovak was used also later as a common name for all Slavs in Czech, Polish, and also Slovak together with other forms

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I wonder if "Polak Węgier dwa bratanki" saying refers also to "Northern Hungary" (Slovakia).
    Yes, but only included. In the times, Slovakia used to be part of Hungary, but this quote was meant to mean as a whole, Budapest was the main city. Although Bratislava - Pozsony
    was also a monarch city.

I agree, old magyars died, Hungary "preserved" their nation by their language and traditions, not genetically.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    I just like the name

It's up to them, of course.

Apparently Slovaks see it as Czech imperialism, if this article is to be believed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakism
    Were decent in sports XD And decent factory brands. Skoda used to be incredibly reliable car, after it got bought under VW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information