German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 120

8 Not allowed!

Default Underrated/Overrated regions of your country

After a conversation yesterday with an American who tried to convince me that Americans associate Germany only with Berlin and Bavaria (the famous "Lederhosen"-Stereotype), I told him there were other regions worth visiting (like where I'm from) but he wouldn't really listen. I was probably just struck with another example of American ignorance.

My region in the north-east (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) is definitely underrated compared to South Germany and Berlin. It is the least densely populated area and we have tourists mostly at some better known vacation sites at the Baltic Sea, but very few in the beautiful lake districts and elsewhere.

But it made me wonder which regions/parts of your country are overrated and which underrated in terms of how well they are known and visited by people (both foreigners and countrymen) in relation to what they have to offer for example nature -and culturewise?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

4 Not allowed!

Underrated:

Slavonia - it has lot of interesting spots, preserved old villages, nice architecture, palaces, 3 large rivers, huge wetlands filled with wildlife, and best preserved folk culture (dance, music, costumes) in entire Croatia. Also centuries old oak forests. But most important thing is that is has nicest people in entire Croatia who are very welcoming and friendly. They also eat very well. Whoever is interested in relatively unspoiled Slavic village culture should go there.

Lika - this region is upcoming (unlike Slavonia unfortunately), but it's still lesser known. Fresh air, beautiful mountanious landscapes, eco food and maybe most beautiful national park in entire Croatia.Whoever likes all sorts of wild and domesticated animals should go there. Interesting history of military frontier for those who are into past.

Gorski kotar - similar like Lika, it's gaining popularity but mostly among local people. Endless forests and alpine like setting.

Zagreb - not a region but I find Zagreb severely underrated compared to other spots in Croatia. It's a very beautiful city with lots to see and do. It was ravaged by earthquaqe but still worth to visit.

Overrated

Istria - I never got popularity of Istria. It looks good, is clean, people are polite, and it's touristicaly most developed region in Croatia. But I don't see much magic into it. It's somewhat dull to me personally. It lacks pure mediterranean wildness of Dalmatia, has flat coast, basically no islands, simply nature there lacks rawness and charisma of Dalmatia. Maybe it feels too ordinary European. Culture of Istria also doesn't feel very Croatian. It's "nice" but not stunning and too touristy.

Dalmatia - Dalmatia is not overrated if we speak about beauty, but it is if we speak about large coastal cities that became soulless spots looking to take your money and not offering much in exchange. Partly ruined by apartmanisation and greed for profit. Still, Dalmatia remains surely one of most beautiful part of Europe (imo) and culture there is also very appealing. In Dalmatia I recommend to visit smaller islands and hinterland and avoid bigger cities and large islands.

Big downside of Dalmatia is often arrogant and rude population which can ruin your vacation.

Croatian Littoral - similar like Istria, lacks power of nature and magic of Dalmatia. If somebody wants to go to Adriatic, than I don't see why should they chose northern Adriatic over more attractive south.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

2 Not allowed!

Tourists almost all visit London here. Honestly it isn't underrated and worth a visit, lots of things to do there, but there's plenty of other nice places to see. In terms of internal tourism, the most overrated place is Blackpool, it is gray and shit.

El_Jibaro

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    Tourists almost all visit London here. Honestly it isn't underrated and worth a visit, lots of things to do there, but there's plenty of other nice places to see. In terms of internal tourism, the most overrated place is Blackpool, it is gray and shit.
    I liked Cornwall. Beautiful villages, nice walks, and the beaches are decent. Boscastle and Tintagel area is cool.

London didn't interest me that much aside from the obvious attractions. I spent like three days there before I moved on. For a city I preferred Newcastle and Bristol.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-26-2022 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unique
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    R-M222
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,345
    Given: 9,352

0 Not allowed!

^^ is Castilla overrated?

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jibaro View Post
    I liked Cornwall. Beautiful villages, nice walks, and the beaches are decent. Boscastle and Tintagel area is cool.

London didn't interest me that much aside from the obvious attractions. I spent like three days there before I moved on. For a city I preferred Newcastle and Bristol.
    Never been to Newcastle but Bristol/Cornwall and SW England in general is great. Bath is also worth a visit down there.

El_Jibaro

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Veljo View Post
    ^^ is Castilla overrated?
    If we consider Madrid part of Castilla (since it historically was) then yes because its a shithole, but I highly recommend visiting Valladolid and Toledo province, Guadalajara province and Zamora and the Sanabria lake area etc.

El_Jibaro

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    Never been to Newcastle but Bristol/Cornwall and SW England in general is great. Bath is also worth a visit down there.
    Yes yes, how could I forget. The roman bath in that city is so cool!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,647
    Given: 10,370

4 Not allowed!

The whole of NZ is both underrated and overrated. Sold to the masses for scenery and Maori when it is the underlying Anglo culture that is the real gem.
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

4 Not allowed!

Overrated - Black, Baltic seas.
    Underrated - White, Okhotsk, Japanese seas.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information