Poland
    Taxonomy
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,420
    Given: 27,512

2 Not allowed!

Default Metelkova

Metelkova is an autonomous social and cultural centre in the city centre of Ljubljana.
    These are old military barracks transformed into autonomous culture center with clubs (Gromka, Gala Hala, Channel Zero etc.), bars (Jalla Jalla), galleries (Mizzart, Alkatraz), libraries, non-government organizations, hostel (Celica), art studios etc. It’s also packed with street art – graffiti, sculptures and all kinds of installations.

It turned into squat gathering artists, activists and some organizations for a few years. Since 1997, when Ljubljana was designated as the European Capital of Culture, Metelkova stopped hosting permanent residents, following an agreement reached with the municipality, whereby the city decided to dedicate the Metelkova buildings to the promotion of culture and art. So today it is mostly touristic spot and place of many concerts and parties at night(some estimates tell even up to 40% of concerts take place in here).

As the place gathers also a bit of LGBT, Antifa and other leftist, anarchist and feminist activists there are people not really happy with the fact such sphere exists, for example organization called Rumeni jopiči. Also in 2018 there was a fire of one of the buildings. I'm not saying that they should be, just I meant place is not always safe.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Zagreb
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 202

1 Not allowed!

I was there a few years ago (how quickly the time passes). It is very interesting with these murals and installations, but there were too many strange people and I didn't feel safe and comfortable. A lot of immigrants, homeless people and squatters, maybe even alcoholics and drug addicts.

Thread Information