mtDNA
    H3*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,240
    Given: 2,623

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aruncaz View Post
    The map below shows Romani settlements.

My question is, did Romani people had left genetic impact (little or more) in the areas they settled? Some Turkish people get small amount of South Asian on MyHeritage in the videos I watched on YouTube. Maybe it is a distant Romani root? But I really don’t know, mine is just a guess, it might be anything else also.
    Angola?????

Banned
    Last Online
    11-07-2022 @ 08:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,983
    Given: 2,435

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigby View Post
    That's a whole different story, no it doesnt mean that they're gipsies, but it means that they share some common blood with gypsies, it's part of their ethnogenesis and they all have it, but if some random european scores 3-4-5-6%+ south asian routinely on tests he has foreign ancestry, and let's be honest if he's from balkans or any gipsy infested shithole the chances are 100x that it's gipsy and not MENA.
    That's incorrect. A lot of Balkanites, including Romanians have genuine Middle Eastern ancestry not connected to Gypsies in any way.

For instance, not many Romanians know (because of the current shitty education system that does not want to discuss history anymore) that the Romanian cities on the Danube have been literally occupied by the Ottomans for about 300 years (unlike the rest of the Principalities, which were never occupied). Half of the population of those cities used to be Middle Eastern. Some of those people left during the Balkan wars, but most remained and converted. You can bet their present day descendants score above 2% South Asian, yet they have no Gypsy ancestry. Many of them even overlap in looks with Gypsies, but socially they're fully integrated, and always have been.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-24-2021 @ 01:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 27

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    That's incorrect. A lot of Balkanites, including Romanians have genuine Middle Eastern ancestry not connected to Gypsies in any way.

For instance, not many Romanians know (because of the current shitty education system that does not want to discuss history anymore) that the Romanian cities on the Danube have been literally occupied by the Ottomans for about 300 years (unlike the rest of the Principalities, which were never occupied). Half of the population of those cities used to be Middle Eastern. Some of those people left during the Balkan wars, but most remained and converted. You can bet their present day descendants score above 2% South Asian, yet they have no Gypsy ancestry. Many of them even overlap in looks with Gypsies, but socially they're fully integrated.
    That's nice but if I pick randomly 100 Romanians most of those, if not all, who score south asian will have it from gipsies and it will be in the 5-25% range on average(4th-5th generation gippo mixes are probably very rare)...and in numbers, it will be around 10% of romanians and the fact that it occurs in MOST cities in very similar percentage it means that it's not from some turkish/-insert mena minority- that used to inhabit some small cities or settlements.

By the way, 2% can be noise for sure, but 5% is not, you'd have to be half or similar to that some MENA to score so much.

Last Online
    12-04-2022 @ 10:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Czech
    Ancestry
    Moravia+Silesia+Bohemia=Czechia
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Moravia-Silesia
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a (R-M512)
    mtDNA
    V (V7a)
    Taxonomy
    Europithecus
    Politics
    of the all azimuths
    Hero
    Viktor Mihály Orbán
    Religion
    ČCE
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,808
    Given: 4,545

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    That map is not about the percentage of them in each country. It's about Romani subgroups. Perhaps in CZ there are no native Gypsies or something.
    I see. Wiki says about Roma in the Czech Republic:
    90% of native Romani were killed during the war; the Romani in modern-day Czech Republic are mostly post-war immigrants from Slovakia or Hungary and their descendants.
    1984 was A Warning Not A Manual

Not even a member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,584
    Given: 8,906

1 Not allowed!

That's nice but if I pick randomly 100 Romanians most of those, if not all, who score south asian will have it from gipsies and it will be in the 5-25% range on average(4th-5th generation gippo mixes are probably very rare)...and in numbers, it will be around 10% of romanians and the fact that it occurs in MOST cities in very similar percentage it means that it's not from some turkish/-insert mena minority- that used to inhabit some small cities or settlements.

By the way, 2% can be noise for sure, but 5% is not, you'd have to be half or similar to that some MENA to score so much.
    6-7% South Asia on Eurogenes can be translated to abt 25% Romani.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-07-2022 @ 08:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,983
    Given: 2,435

1 Not allowed!

All Romanians have some amount of steppe ancestry, mostly from Turkic (Cuman) and Avar/Iazyges populations that lived for quite a long time (we're talking centuries here) in the Eastern part of Romania. This influence is widespread and started very early, literally during the formation of Romanians as a people. This brings it's own South Asian genetics - on average around 1%, but this is normally distributed, so in rarer individuals will get over 5% without it being connected to Gypsies.

In other words, a 5% SA score is no guarantee of Gypsy ancestry - there are other important sources of SA genetics in the Balkans, that are very hard to untangle from the genuine Gypsy ones.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-24-2021 @ 01:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 27

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    6-7% South Asia on Eurogenes can be translated to abt 25% Romani.
    They're called gipsies.

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    All Romanians have some amount of steppe ancestry, mostly from Turkic (Cuman) and Avar/Iazyges populations that lived for quite a long time (we're talking centuries here) in the Eastern part of Romania. This influence is widespread and started very early, literally during the formation of Romanians as a people. This brings it's own South Asian genetics - on average around 1%, but this is normally distributed, so in rarer individuals will get over 5% without it being connected to Gypsies.

In other words, a 5% SA score is no guarantee of Gypsy ancestry - there are other important sources of SA genetics in the Balkans, that are very hard to untangle from the genuine Gypsy ones.

We've all seen average Romanian results, 0% south asian, even 2% is uncommon and pushing it...yes, we had turkic people here, but when most romanians dont score south asian then you can't use this as an argument not to mention that those turkic tribes wherent indian, so :
    -if we would have any signifiant south asian from them it would mean that we'd share probably majority of our blood with them.
    -this 5%+ south asian on dna tests individuals occur in all Romania in equal proportions and is directly proportional on average to the number of gippos you see on the streets in that respective city.
    - romanians who have 5%+ south asian on 23andme also share many gippo relatives.

Put 2 and 2 together and realize that in a country where 10% of people are gipsy mixed the mathematical chance for the 5% south asian to be some unlucky recombination(can't even occur when in great majority romanians score 0%) is greatly outnumbered by the chance for it to come from gipsies.

Last Online
    10-05-2022 @ 05:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    OTHERS_D
    Ethnicity
    Polish/Slovak/Hungarian Romani/Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Essentially Austro-Hungary
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Joseph Conrad
    Religion
    Down-votes from Loki
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,057
    Given: 3,213

1 Not allowed!

Whatever happened to Impaler? The Romanian dude who consistently scored around 6% South Asian/Indian, but had no Romani/Roma/"Gypsy" blood... I don't think his parents even showed South Asian or Indian...
    PuntDNAl k15
    Mother: Polish + Norwegian + Austrian + French @ 0.923102
    Father: Karelian + Polish + Romani + Mozabite_Berber @ 5.277415
    Me: Lithuanian + Mordovian + Bosnian + Spaniard @ 2.190271
    MDLP World
    Mother: 85.80% German_V + 14.20% Russian @ 1
    Father: 73.10% Croatian_V + 26.90% Roma @ 4.65
    Me: 94.70% Croatian_V + 5.30% Roma @ 1.61

Last Online
    02-24-2024 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Ancestry
    81.25% Serbian, 12.5% Croatian, 6.25% Romanian
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    G-Y225016
    mtDNA
    H12a*
    Taxonomy
    Pontid + Alpine/Gorid
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,860
    Given: 8,987

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    I was sort-of kidding. My point is that South Asian and/or South Central Asian (and anything else, MENA, etc) may show up or not show up in small percentages in plenty of people . Genetic assortment is random and not everybody inherits precisely 50% of each parent's DNA of any kind; if you look around this forum, you'll see lots of Eastern European Slavs and Northwest Europeans and whoever who may show small percentages of South Asian (etc). It doesn't mean that they're actually part Roma or Indian. Eurogenes does not really pick up any South Asian in me even though I know I have partial Roma ancestors (in fact, it sees more SA in my mother who's half Anglo and half Slovak). If you want to see if someone is part Roma, try looking for Roma DNA matches. If you're a small part Roma, you should find a bunch of "3-5th cousins" even though they're not really your cousins.
    Yeah, my mom scores 2.8% South Asian on K13, but 0% on MyHeritage and she has no close Romani matches and very few matches who have any South Asian ancestry at all.

Last Online
    02-24-2024 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Ancestry
    81.25% Serbian, 12.5% Croatian, 6.25% Romanian
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    G-Y225016
    mtDNA
    H12a*
    Taxonomy
    Pontid + Alpine/Gorid
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,860
    Given: 8,987

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    Whatever happened to Impaler? The Romanian dude who consistently scored around 6% South Asian/Indian, but had no Romani/Roma/"Gypsy" blood... I don't think his parents even showed South Asian or Indian...
    According to Carpatz, he claimed to match with many Gypsies from all over.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information