Country
    Latvia
    Politics
    Anti-imperialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,628
    Given: 1,115

0 Not allowed!

I thought it happened hundred years ago. Didn't know that it happens in 21st century.
    And Faroese language is closer to Norwegian than Danish.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,540
    Given: 28,978

3 Not allowed!

The Danish connection is because the Faroes are an autonomous territory of the Kingdom of Denmark like Greenland is. While they are self-governing I'm sure Denmark could put pressure on them to be rid of this very brutal and blood thirsty practice. Most feeling people are disgusted by this slaughter of nearly 1,500 dolphins wiped out in a day. As intelligent animals they would be aware of what is happening to them and their pod. We don't live in the 18th and 19th Century and that sort of mass killing of dolphins, who are one of the most intelligent animals, is criminal to me. I just find it so sad and depressing that so many people would do this. If you can be this violent to such a highly intelligent mammal then you don't have normal empathy. Dolphins are acknowledged as one of the most intelligent animals by scientists. This is just barbaric to me.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,331
    Given: 2,699

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    The Danish connection is because the Faroes are an autonomous territory of the Kingdom of Denmark like Greenland is. While they are self-governing I'm sure Denmark could put pressure on them to be rid of this very brutal and blood thirsty practice. Most feeling people are disgusted by this slaughter of nearly 1,500 dolphins wiped out in a day. As intelligent animals they would be aware of what is happening to them and their pod. We don't live in the 18th and 19th Century and that sort of mass killing of dolphins, who are one of the most intelligent animals, is criminal to me. I just find it so sad and depressing that so many people would do this. If you can be this violent to such a highly intelligent mammal then you don't have normal empathy. Dolphins are acknowledged as one of the most intelligent animals by scientists. This is just barbaric to me.
    The dolphins were killed for food as Kominstsavalta showed. Pigs are acknowledged as one of the most intelligent animals as well, why is no one angry about the massacre of 4 million pigs per day? Ah, the Western hypocrisy.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    The dolphins were killed for food as Kominstsavalta showed. Pigs are acknowledged as one of the most intelligent animals as well, why is no one angry about the massacre of 4 million pigs per day? Ah, the Western hypocrisy.
    There are always people with their "whataboutery". I've stated on here before that I don't eat meat and yes I agree all animal slaughter is upsetting. I think people are trying to improve the plight of farm animals and bring in more humane practices. I would rather people don't eat meat but many people would find that very extreme. I also eat dairy and I know how that is produced. Still I think people can voice their disgust at cruelty. Society can always improve. There are many people working to get better conditions for farm animals. No need to slaughter such a huge number of wild dolphins. They won't eat all that meat. That's just there as an excuse for the large and brutal killing. Faroese have said they won't be able to use all the meat.

Some people will make excuses. I hate the wet markets in Asia also. This deserves condemnation also.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:55 AM
    Country
    Jamaica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,667
    Given: 5,726

4 Not allowed!

So it's ok when you slaughter animals on an industrial scale in the billions but locals hunting dolphins and whales for food is not?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Digital Don Quixote
    Ethnicity
    Forums
    Ancestry
    Hellenic, Balkan, Latin, Anatolian, Druide
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Athens
    Taxonomy
    Anatolian Lappid
    Hero
    Justinian, Constantine, Augustus, Charlemagne, Aurelian, Alexander
    Religion
    Uralische beauties, Viktor Orban
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,627
    Given: 10,176

1 Not allowed!

This is a far more complicated matter than it seems.

1. There are as many dolphins there as there are left in the whole Mediterranean.

2. This is a tradition of people who know these animals, they are not urbanized Europeans/Americans who only see dolphins in sea world. They possibly know what to kill.

3. The species may be endangered but the "smart and cute" argument is stupid. Octopuses and pigs are smarter animals but aesthetically unpleasant. Dolphin meat is also considered to be very nutritious.

4. Faroese make it into bloody "dailymail" articles every bloody month. The following article only shows up on National Geographic:

Ten years later, BP oil spill continues to harm wildlife—especially dolphins

So, do the Faroese actually halt the reproduction of dolphins (which would limit their own resources) and in what extend?

Anyways, as a vaccinated creator of civilization working for American tech, this act shows true snownigger barbarity, we should become vegan. Posted by green Chinese PC.
    Last edited by Faklon; 09-15-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-12-2023 @ 03:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Permic
    Ethnicity
    Peasant
    Ancestry
    コミ
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Karaboğa (euryprosopic, platyrrhine, dolichocephalic)
    Relationship Status
    Virgin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,863
    Given: 2,946

0 Not allowed!

Most feeling people are disgusted by this slaughter of nearly 1,500 dolphins wiped out in a day.
    The article said that about 500 dolphins were killed in a year, not in a day:

They documented a series of so-called whale drives, in which the Faroese government says around 1,200 whales and 500 dolphins were killed. ...

The Faroese also hunt a large number of white-sided dolphins, like these. 488 were killed in 2017.

Faroese have said they won't be able to use all the meat.
    Where? And if they weren't able to eat all of the meat themselves, they could probably sell it to Mongoloids.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    So it's ok when you slaughter animals on an industrial scale in the billions but locals hunting dolphins and whales for food is not?
    So people can't say how disgusting it is? I don't agree with killing any animals but even if people eat meat it still isn't okay to butcher animals in such a barbaric fashion when they are herded up where they can't escape and then stabbed to death and all their pod around them are dying. You might not find it disturbing but many people do. By condemning this it doesn't mean that one agrees to the industrial scale killing of other animals. You have to start somewhere and I think these primitive customs should be shown up for what they are. If you read about this even some Faroese have called it excessive. Another practice here in Australia which I want stopped is the live export trade. I've been signing petitions for years about it and some politicians are starting to listen. I hope eventually it is stopped.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Komintasavalta View Post

They documented a series of so-called whale drives, in which the Faroese government says around 1,200 whales and 500 dolphins were killed. ...

The Faroese also hunt a large number of white-sided dolphins, like these. 488 were killed in 2017.

Where? And if they weren't able to eat all of the meat themselves, they could probably sell it to Mongoloids.
    This is from The Times so are they wrong?

Almost 1,500 dolphins were killed on Sunday in what a marine conservation group has said was the largest single hunt on record in the Faroe Islands.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...-day-h8wdjbm7t

Anyway if some people think this is okay I'm not going to convince them otherwise but don't make excuses for it and say people can't be outraged because of farming. It's good that people are disgusted and it might make them more aware of animal treatment across the board. You can do what you can.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Komintasavalta View Post

Read about it here.

Even the staunchest defenders of traditional whaling in the Faroe Islands have condemned the “cruel and unnecessary” massacre on Sunday of a superpod of nearly 1,500 dolphins, which were driven into shallow waters of the Skálabotnur beach on the island of Eysturoy and left writhing for hours before being killed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-faroe-islands
    Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 09-15-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information