Thread: Is South Asia/Indian subcontinent the most genetically diverse/varied region after Africa?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-12-2024 @ 05:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,309

2 Not allowed!

Default Is South Asia/Indian subcontinent the most genetically diverse/varied region after Africa?

Considering how much genetic variations there are in South Asia from AASI cline to two types of Western lineages: Iran_N and Steppe clines. There are even two types of Mongoloid inputs: Austroasiatic-related (mainly found among the Munda tribals) and Tibeto-Burman/Chokhopani-like facade which is most prominent among NE Indians, Sikkimese, Baltis and some mainstream South Asians such as Bengalis. Moreover, there are also the Andamanese tribes who live in isolated islands of the Andaman Sea, who are also very genetically distant from AASI and much more closer to Hoabinhian Hunter Gatherers from SE Asia.

So is South Asia the second most genetically heterogenous and diverse region after Africa?
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 09-25-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 10:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Indo-Brachid + Gracile Indid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,455
    Given: 11,125

2 Not allowed!

In the old world, yes India seems to be the most diverse country given the population size, the caste and geography variation in terms of genetic admixture, etc. Africa is a continent so its not a good comparison I guess but as a country I assume India is the most diverse, excluding the new world countries obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dna8 View Post
    If God is an artist, the female form is his masterpiece.

Last Online
    01-09-2024 @ 07:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Country
    Denmark
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 710

0 Not allowed!

Yes. It is a result of some geographical variation and social barriers. By social barriers, I mean the castes and religious beliefs. By the way, Africa is more diverse because Africa is larger and therefore ethnic groups are relatively more distant from each other.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-12-2024 @ 05:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,309

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thambi View Post
    In the old world, yes India seems to be the most diverse country given the population size, the caste and geography variation in terms of genetic admixture, etc. Africa is a continent so its not a good comparison I guess but as a country I assume India is the most diverse, excluding the new world countries obviously.
    Also there is a BMAC cline and even WSHG (Western Siberian Hunter Gatherer) affinity among most South Asians as well. BMAC is the same/interchangeable with Iran_N right? Also forget to mention that Chokhopani/Tibeto Burman-like East Asian ancestry also affects Nepalese as well. Some Northern South Asians from Himachal, Uttarakhand, Jammu Kashmir also have some Mongoloid admix right?

Anyhow, yes I agree. Tbh, I think India is even more genetically/racially diverse than Brazil and most other new world countries. Brazil possess three main genetic/racial components- West Eurasian (mostly Iberian) , Negroid, Amerindian with some minor East Asian (Japanese) and some MENA (Lebanese) among certain locals. Meanwhile India has AASI, Iran_N, BMAC, Steppe, WSHG, Chokhopani/Tibeto-Burman-related, Austroasiatic (LAO_LN_BA/LAO_BA, etc)-like and Andamanese/Onge-related lineages which makes its even more diverse than Brazil and most other New World countries imo.

True, I guess I should specify SSA/Negroid countries, but in that case I was thinking more of South Asian region as a whole than rather India. Africa also has many lineages and genetic clusters from West Eurasian (Anatolian_Farmers, Levant_Neolithic, Natufian, Iran_N/CHG and even Steppe) which is found mainly among North Africans, Horners and Cushitic admixed East Africans, Afrikaners, ANA (Ancient North African) which is the main African ancestry of Maghrebis who are predominantly West Eurasian, Horners, AEA (Ancient East African) which is the main ancestry of Nilotic/Nilo-Saharan Negroids like Dinkas and the main type of Negrid admixture among Horners, West Africans/Bantus, Hadza (which is related to ancient Mota individual from Ethiopia) Central African HG (Pygmies) and South African HG (Khoi-San Bushmen) and even Mongoloid (Austronesian) among Malagasy and Comorians.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 09-26-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Thread Information