Thread: Why is there such talk about "southern European obsessions" when there's practically none?

Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 09:17 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,451
    Given: 7,900

2 Not allowed!

Default Why is there such talk about "southern European obsessions" when there's practically none?

All the time here, I hear about the existence of a supposed obsession on behalf of southern Europeans wanting to... "be more like northern or central Europeans". But, I don't see it anywhere, from almost no southern European commentator here, on this forum. In fact, what I see most of the time are posters of northern or western European descent indicating this "obsession"... Without this existing to begin with. What are they pointing at? At things most southern European posters don't even say to begin with? And, I will admit, there's CV, who's kind of obsessed. No one's denying that. But I've seen a lot more people and a lot more posts, especially from the French poster Centurion, saying that ALL southern Europeans are obsessed and then going into rants with walls of text. This thread is a perfect indication of what I mean:

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...hern-Europeans

The top poster there is Centurion, a Frenchman from Breton. And many of the top posters are either North or Western Europeans, with CV usually the top for southern Europe's behalf. The posts wanted to indicate that we are obsessed, but it instead showed that the madness overran northern/western Europeans more. Especially Centurion. Just look at his posts. In one liners he responds with walls of text. Unironically.

That's it from me, see you all in probably the next 1 or 2 months
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,234
    Given: 43,774

0 Not allowed!

It's not so much that Southern Europeans are Northern/Central European wannabes as such. Rather, it is that too many Southern Euros don't accept their countries have a large minority of native phenotypes (15-20% maybe?) that are absolutely unpassable elsewhere in Europe, either because the skin is too dark or the features are too Semitic/Anatolian/Berber-like.

El_Jibaro

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    It's not so much that Southern Europeans are Northern/Central European wannabes as such. Rather, it is that too many Southern Euros don't accept their countries have a large minority of native phenotypes (15-20% maybe?) that are absolutely unpassable elsewhere in Europe, either because the skin is too dark or the features are too Semitic/Anatolian/Berber-like.
    And yet if that atypical person has parents of that ethnicity, grandparents, ancestors, etc, they will cluster with other people from their land and that phenotype is a byproduct of their [insert nationality] ancestry. I personally think people put too much emphasis into phenotype anyway. For me genetics is a more interesting and worthwhile pursuit when it comes to these sorts of things...

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,234
    Given: 43,774

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jibaro View Post
    And yet if that atypical person has parents of that ethnicity, grandparents, ancestors, etc, they will cluster with other people from their land and that phenotype is a byproduct of their [insert nationality] ancestry. I personally think people put too much emphasis into phenotype anyway. For me genetics is a more interesting and worthwhile pursuit when it comes to these sorts of things...
    That's the point though - the very dark types aren't that atypical, they are a large minority.

El_Jibaro

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    That's the point though - the very dark types aren't that atypical, they are a large minority.
    Sure, there is diversity in every population. I just do not understand the obsession some have regarding this. Maybe it stems from an insecurity complex of some kind. "OWD".

People have told me I could pass in numerous places, but I'm still plotting with other Iberians at the end of the day...and that is what matters.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian Italian, with distant Lebanese, Syrian and French ancestry
    Ancestry
    Mediterranean Basin
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Sicily
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Anatolid/Dinarid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,645
    Given: 1,565

0 Not allowed!

They're more obsessed with being Nordic or Northern European here and having a Cinderella/Snow White skin tone. It's pretty sickening actually and so gay!

Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,186
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    All the time here, I hear about the existence of a supposed obsession on behalf of southern Europeans wanting to... "be more like northern or central Europeans". But, I don't see it anywhere, from almost no southern European commentator here, on this forum. In fact, what I see most of the time are posters of northern or western European descent indicating this "obsession"... Without this existing to begin with. What are they pointing at? At things most southern European posters don't even say to begin with? And, I will admit, there's CV, who's kind of obsessed. No one's denying that. But I've seen a lot more people and a lot more posts, especially from the French poster Centurion, saying that ALL southern Europeans are obsessed and then going into rants with walls of text. This thread is a perfect indication of what I mean:

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...hern-Europeans

The top poster there is Centurion, a Frenchman from Breton. And many of the top posters are either North or Western Europeans, with CV usually the top for southern Europe's behalf. The posts wanted to indicate that we are obsessed, but it instead showed that the madness overran northern/western Europeans more. Especially Centurion. Just look at his posts. In one liners he responds with walls of text. Unironically.

That's it from me, see you all in probably the next 1 or 2 months
    I guess it should be expected. As many Southern Europeans aspire to be Northern European - looking, there are also many Northern Europeans who fake tan to look Southern European. Thus it is a vice - versa. Italian men go crazy for truly blonde-haired women! Therefore it is normal for them to desire what they do not have.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,245
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Odelia View Post
    They're more obsessed with being Nordic or Northern European here and having a Cinderella/Snow White skin tone. It's pretty sickening actually and so gay!
    I'm a magical shit for brains blockheaded nordick. You aren't aware that being a nordick albino-like being grants one superhuman powers and a 190 IQ ?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin, Han
    Ethnicity
    Italian, 1/4 Chinese
    Ancestry
    Italian, an 1/8th Swiss German, a bit of Croatian, a bit of English, a bit of Spanish and a 1/4 Han
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    J L25
    mtDNA
    H20a
    Taxonomy
    Alpine Med
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Giuseppe Garibaldi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,839
    Given: 3,084

0 Not allowed!

I don't know where that idea comes from, apart from the fact that it's completely incorrect. Darker features are nothing to be ashamed of. I have never wanted to nordic, and I don't see why any South Euro would want to be. Wog pride!
    Last edited by Italicus; 10-07-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Thread Information