H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,437
    Given: 1,436

1 Not allowed!

Default Usyk - Joshua

I watched the bout and surprisingly Joshua was as sleeping. Usyk, despite being smaller and older, dominated the bout. I have read bad news about Joshua and estimates that he was not any more a real champion, but still I surprised how easily a smaller and older white man beat him. Joshua was simply so exhausted that a couple rounds more and he would have been knocked out. Too much ease life during the last years?

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,530
    Given: 24,991

2 Not allowed!

Speed, experience, and skill won the day. Both guys have big heart and determination.

Also Joshua brought the wrong game plan and strategy. He needs to make some major adjustments for the rematch. It will be interesting to see if he can bring a better plan and implement it, and interesting to see how Usyk adjusts if that does indeed happen.

I really like both guys, great sportsmanship, good roll models as how to conduct yourself as a professional. Good for the youth of today to see that.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Speed, experience, and skill won the day. Both guys have big heart and determination.

Also Joshua brought the wrong game plan and strategy. He needs to make some major adjustments for the rematch. It will be interesting to see if he can bring a better plan and implement it, and interesting to see how Usyk adjusts if that does indeed happen.

I really like both guys, great sportsmanship, good roll models as how to conduct yourself as a professional. Good for the youth of today to see that.
    Maybe Usyk was chosen to be an easy bit, because his previous bout was against Chicora. Chicora has been years far below title matches and his opponents have not usually gone to title matches. . I agree, good roll models both.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

2 Not allowed!

Usyk is a former unified Criuisreweight World Champion and Olympic gold medalist (as well as amateur world champion - both at HW!) who dominated division for years, he's simply a fantastic boxer and not a nobody.
    He's a better boxer than Joshua is, extremely fast, with a great motor, technically excellent and brave.

This was very tough match for Joshua and his win is far from an upset.

Don't get me wrong, I also expected Joshua to win simply because of his superior size, power and due to his decent skill, but it's kind of lame to call Usyk old (he's still in good age for a boxer) and easy opponent.
    Joshua tied to outbox him which was destined to fail from the start as Usyk is simply better in that.

I don't get Joshua hate though, I like him a lot, he is overhyped by Eddie and his big money sponsors behind him, fought at home turf and all that, but's he's a decent guy and fun to watch.

Or at least he was until Ruiz bout. Since that loss he seems to have lost balls and fears to get hurt thus tries to box safely without too much risk which doesn't work for him because his main advantage is his power he seldomly uses now.
    Joshua is a good sportsman but lacks that killer instinct of a true Champion. Usyk is fearless and better than him. Joshua has glass chin.

If AJ wants to have any chance to win a rematch he should change his trainers IMO, as fight was coming to the end they kept advising him to keep the distance and win points while he was clearly losing.
    He should have taken a complete risk and entered open exchange with Usyk. Almost as if they believed if he makes it to the end of round 12, referees will gift him the victory.

He was practically KO'ed by Usyk in last seconds so even judges couldn't save his ass from a defeat. He should box with Wilder next, that would be super fun match.
    These automatic rematch clauses are absolute rubbish which destroy the sport, AJ lost 2 out of his last 4 matches and does not deserve immediate rematch in winter.

He should build back and get a couple of good wins before getting another title shot.
    Last edited by Jana; 09-29-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Usyk is not too old, but going over 35 (he is 34?) means reduced speed and more training to achieve same level as younger boxers. I was surprised how fast and tough he was, because I didn't know him.

Det Nordiske Råd™approved Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of SNPA"

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    nordish
    Ethnicity
    american
    Taxonomy
    homo sapiens nordensis
    Politics
    reality>reason>rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,648
    Given: 6,681

2 Not allowed!

Lightbulb for those of us that did not have an opportunity to watch this match live

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,530
    Given: 24,991

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Usyk is a former unified Criuisreweight World Champion and Olympic gold medalist (as well as amateur world champion - both at HW!) who dominated division for years, he's simply a fantastic boxer and not a nobody.
    He's a better boxer than Joshua is, extremely fast, with a great motor, technically excellent and brave.

This was very tough match for Joshua and his win is far from an upset.

Don't get me wrong, I also expected Joshua to win simply because of his superior size, power and due to his decent skill, but it's kind of lame to call Usyk old (he's still in good age for a boxer) and easy opponent.
    Joshua tied to outbox him which was destined to fail from the start as Usyk is simply better in that.

I don't get Joshua hate though, I like him a lot, he is overhyped by Eddie and his big money sponsors behind him, fought at home turf and all that, but's he's a decent guy and fun to watch.

Or at least he was until Ruiz bout. Since that loss he seems to have lost balls and fears to get hurt thus tries to box safely without too much risk which doesn't work for him because his main advantage is his power he seldomly uses now.
    Joshua is a good sportsman but lacks that killer instinct of a true Champion. Usyk is fearless and better than him. Joshua has glass chin.

If AJ wants to have any chance to win a rematch he should change his trainers IMO, as fight was coming to the end they kept advising him to keep the distance and win points while he was clearly losing.
    He should have taken a complete risk and entered open exchange with Usyk. Almost as if they believed if he makes it to the end of round 12, referees will gift him the victory.

He was practically KO'ed by Usyk in last seconds so even judges couldn't save his ass from a defeat. He should box with Wilder next, that would be super fun match.
    These automatic rematch clauses are absolute rubbish which destroy the sport, AJ lost 2 out of his last 4 matches and does not deserve immediate rematch in winter.

He should build back and get a couple of good wins before getting another title shot.
    Yeah, the Ruiz loss seems to have permanently altered his approach, safety first now which negates his advantages to some extent. I think it more a case of him trying to fight 'smart' and extend his career by not taking excessive punishment, not so much that he is afraid.

I suppose the best thing for him in a rematch with Usyk would be to approach the fight like Lennox Lewis did later in his career, put some hurt on the smaller opponent early, be more threatening with his power and pressure, to reduce Usyk's punch output. Only problem is he's not Lennox or Wlad, who were masters at doing that.

His other alternative is to fight like he used to, bring the power and go after Usyk. I think that plays into Usyk's hands though too. If Joshua comes after him, he may possibly KO Usyk, but I think it is more likely Usyk would catch him in an exchange with his fast hands and knock Joshua out.

Joshua Vs. Wilder is a great match-up, I agree. Too bad we did not get that match a couple of years ago, now it has lost it's luster.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Yeah, the Ruiz loss seems to have permanently altered his approach, safety first now which negates his advantages to some extent. I think it more a case of him trying to fight 'smart' and extend his career by not taking excessive punishment, not so much that he is afraid.

I suppose the best thing for him in a rematch with Usyk would be to approach the fight like Lennox Lewis did later in his career, put some hurt on the smaller opponent early, be more threatening with his power and pressure, to reduce Usyk's punch output. Only problem is he's not Lennox or Wlad, who were masters at doing that.

His other alternative is to fight like he used to, bring the power and go after Usyk. I think that plays into Usyk's hands though too. If Joshua comes after him, he may possibly KO Usyk, but I think it is more likely Usyk would catch him in an exchange with his fast hands and knock Joshua out.

Joshua Vs. Wilder is a great match-up, I agree. Too bad we did not get that match a couple of years ago, now it has lost it's luster.
    Hey Mr.G, it's pleasure to read your comments, very good analysis! up:

It seems AJ has trouble with boxers with fast hands as Ruiz is also that. BTW, what do you think about his rematch vs Andy? I think he did well, he boxed smart and used his size well unlike in this match against Usyk.
    But on the other hand, I think Ruiz got lazy after winning the titles and came too fat and unprepared for the rematch, which eased the job for AJ. Ruiz could be real force is he had more discipline, he hits hard and is fast for suh a fatty.

Usyk does not hit hard on the other hand which is big disadvantage at heavyweight, but than Fury doesn't have much of a heavy hand either and he's probably best in the division. But yeah, Fury is much bigger than Usyk is.

I just think AJ could KO Usyk because he does have great power, in this bout he hit Usyk only a few times and damaged his face pretty bad. So imagine what could be if he throws more bombs.

But you are right Usyk is that good he could easily catach Joshua in exchange and counterattack, so this will always be very risky fight for AJ. Plus Usyk seems to take punches well unlike Joshua.
    Yet I am pretty sure Joshua could KO and punish him heavily if he decides to fight him rather than box with him.

What I think AJ lacks is bit of sleazy approach and dirty game like Fury. Fury would tire Usyk with clinching and using his weight over him. Now I don't think Joshua is such a boxer.

He has devastating uppercut which could seriously hurt Usyk though and he's got nothing more to lose in a rematch - he should go after dirtier and more intense rematch to win IMO.
    And I think people who write off AJ are wrong. He is disciplined guy who loves to train and he can come back if he sets his heart to it.

How much chance you give to Usyk against Fury?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Usyk is not too old, but going over 35 (he is 34?) means reduced speed and more training to achieve same level as younger boxers. I was surprised how fast and tough he was, because I didn't know him.
    Yes, true. Usyk could decline rather fast in next few years since his style requires extremely good conditioning and takes so much energy. Pace he set against AJ from the start was crazy, I don't think any boxer could keep such speed and pressure almost entire match (except mid rounds he seemed to take off) like he does.

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,996
    Given: 10,535

0 Not allowed!

Usyk is a far more skilled boxer than Joshua

Joshua is now unwilling to let his hands go and load up on punches the way he used to

This is because, I think, his footwork and head movement are poor, and he is easy to counter punch...look at how Ruiz slipped and countered him in their 1st fight

Joshua now wants to try and box his way to wins....he's slimmed down to try and become better on his feet and increase stamina

Problem for Joshua is, his boxing skills aren't that good, and when he comes up against an Usyk or Fury who both have far better boxing skills, he gets exposed

The old Joshua at 18 and half stone would have just stood there with Usyk, loaded up on his punches and tried to blast the smaller man out of the ring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information