Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,952
    Given: 12,168

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    The only thing the Chinese are good at is copy Western technology and make it cheaper through economies of scale and cheap labor.
    That used to be the case but that is changing nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    Dude, do not insist with this. You gave an irrelevant example because you're not familiar with the tech field.
    Final assembly is what happens in China. China is a midget when it comes to new tech (developed from scratch in China).
    South Korea, Taiwan and Japan are different. They have shown in the past that they can develop new tech, but they are highly dependent on access to Western markets. In fact, this access is what allowed them to grow in the first place (the model that China tries to emulate somewhat). They are a genuine competitor to the US but not a danger, mostly because they play by the rules and don't blatantly steal like China. There was a time (30-40 years ago) when most people thought that Japan was going to kill all high tech US companies (esp in consumer electronics). Well, the opposite happened - all those Japanese companies/brands disappeared, got bought or changed their profile. Most consumer electronics progress in the past 20 years came from the US: smart phones, tablets, cheap laptops, new OSes, electric cars and auto rated batteries etc.
    I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, but I think you're exeggerating.

Chinese tech products can be competitive with western products. Xiaomi is really successful. Xiaomi sells the 2nd most mobile phones in Europe (1st is Korean samsung). In fact it is overtaking Samsung, as I'm writing this Xiaomi may be number one phone seller in Europe. https://www.gsmarena.com/strategy_an...news-50358.php
    I use a Redmi phone myself (sub-brand of Xiaomi). To be honest I don't understand why Iphone is so successful and why Xiaomi is so unsuccessful in USA. Iphone is overpriced.

Then there's Lenovo, Huawei, Haier, Oneplus etc. Android may have been withdrawn from Huawei but that doesn't mean Huawei is incapable of recovering from it in the long term. Instead of android now they're using harmony-os which is developed by them.

Asus, Gigabyte, Acer and BenQ are Taiwanase (and the Taiwanese are a bunch of ethnic Chinese who fled mainland China).

Let's not forget USA's success in tech is partially down to Asian immigrants. 39% of workers at Intel are Asian-Americans according to a 2018 article.
    Last edited by Universe; 10-12-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,252
    Given: 13,609

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    ARM is British, isn't it? But yes, you're right... Apple and other "American" companies even themselves say that their products are "designed and engineered" in the USA (=manufactured elsewhere).
    Yes, it is British. Also, machines and equipment used to produce chips are not necessarily made by manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    I already established you are dumb in this thread : since when does China respect intellectual property ? It hacks it (steal schematics or blueprints electronically), reverse engineers it, social engineers etc....

Arm is widely regarded as the most important semiconductor IP firm. Their IP ships in billions of new chips every year from phones, cars, microcontrollers, Amazon servers, and even Intel’s latest IPU. Originally it was a British owned and headquartered company, but SoftBank acquired the firm in 2016. They proceeded to plow money into Arm Holdings to develop deep pushes into the internet of things, automotive, and server. Part of their push was also to go hard into China and become the dominant CPU supplier in all segments of the market.

As part of the emphasis on the Chinese market, SoftBank succumbed to pressure and formed a joint venture. In the new joint venture, Arm Holdings, the SoftBank subsidiary sold a 51% stake of the company to a consortium of Chinese investors for paltry $775M. This venture has the exclusive right to license Arm’s IP within China. Within 2 years, the venture went rogue. Recently, they gave a presentation to the industry about rebranding, developing their own IP, and striking their own independently operated path.

https://www.osnews.com/story/133868/...pletely-rogue/
    Dumbo, I like most people am aware that China doesn't respect intellectual property, but you are a fool if you think they steal everything. Like it has been said by Universe Taiwanese are Chinese too.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

3 Not allowed!

Well look at bright spots -- I'm sure USA still leads cited papers for gender studies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information