Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside of Scandinavia, is there anywhere else in Europe where 50%+ of people are blonde?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,474
    Given: 28,939

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Yes, she looks very Swedish. I just do not like that tanning ... whatever costs.

A student class. Could this be from UK or Ireland (what comes to average hair colors)? I doubt.
    Could this be anywhere outside of Scandinavia? Again I doubt that (except Finland and perhaps Estonia).
    You never get that level of uniform hair colour in many European populations except possibly some with uniform dark hair. Irish will usually have a variety of hair colours in a group picture. These are University College Dublin students for example. Irish would have more rufosity but also are much darker haired than Scandinavian/Finnish groups.

British groups might be different again. Irish and Scandinavians look different.
    Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 10-17-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

This Forum is so buggy. So DP.

A large group of Dublin GAA fans at Croke Park.

Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 10-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    You never get that level of uniform hair colour in many European populations except possibly some with uniform dark hair. Irish will usually have a variety of hair colours in a group picture. These are University College Dublin students for example. Irish would have more rufosity but also are much darker haired than Scandinavian/Finnish groups.

British groups might be different again. Irish and Scandinavians look different.

Those were Swedes. One of them (mouth open, in middle) has same hair color as me.
    (Hats of Finns students are very similar (again copied from Sweden ?). But Finns have no gold text on black velvet and cockades are different. Plus Finnish Swedes hats will differ slightly from ethnic Finns hats. Our white ''cap part'' of hat is bit bigger/higher).

Honestly, you do not face that often anymore here. Too much all kinds of immigrants. But your comment (uniform hair color) put me thinking about those other Europeans. Why they opposite vary more ...

This Forum is so buggy. So DP.
    I have serious problems to stay signed in.
    Last edited by Finnish Swede; 10-17-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Those were Swedes. One of them (mouth open, in middle) has same hair color as me.

Honestly, you do not face that often anymore here. Too much all kinds of immigrants. But your comment (uniform hair color) put me thinking about those other Europeans. Why they opposite vary so much more ...

I have serious problems to stay signed in.
    It's a interesting question about why populations have certain traits. It's most probably a combination of selection and founder effect. I'm sure there are some posters on here that have some very good theories. Some traits are selected against due to things like climate. I think red hair is an obvious one in that high sunlight areas it would be an obvious disadvantage to have red hair as it usually goes with low melanin production but in areas where there was no selective disadvantage it would be more numerous. That's just one trait as an example. Why Scandinavians and Baltic populations have higher rates of blondism might be due to sexual selection. Anyone else got any theories?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It's a interesting question about why populations have certain traits. It's most probably a combination of selection and founder effect. I'm sure there are some posters on here that have some very good theories. Some traits are selected against due to things like climate. I think red hair is an obvious one in that high sunlight areas it would be an obvious disadvantage to have red hair as it usually goes with low melanin production but in areas where there was no selective disadvantage it would be more numerous. That's just one trait as an example. Why Scandinavians and Baltic populations have higher rates of blondism might be due to sexual selection. Anyone else got any theories?
    I was more like thinking ... maybe central Europeans are more ''mixed''? Between all kinds of groups/tribets which have arrived there and lived on the area? Between every neighbours (they have those much more than we).

Scandinavia has always been sparsely populated area and distances have been long.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I was more like thinking ... maybe central Europeans are more ''mixed''? Between all kinds of groups/tribets which have arrived there and lived on the area? Between every neighbours (they have those much more than we).

Scandinavia has always been sparsely populated area and distances have been long.
    In Europe it is the more south the more surviving farmer genes and the more north the more Steppe. HGs are also in the mix. There is some selection going on as well because Europeans have been getting lighter over a period of a few thousand years. I'm not as proficient in ydna but in Sweden the largest ydna is I1a which is from HGs, Finland is N1c. Someone like Token is knowledgeable about this stuff.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Yes, she looks very Swedish. I just do not like that tanning ... whatever costs.

A student class. Could this be from UK or Ireland (what comes to average hair colors)? I doubt.
    Could this be anywhere outside of Scandinavia? Again I doubt that (except Finland and perhaps Estonia).
    Oh well, the majority of Swedes and Scandinavians can tan well. Although there are a few who can’t, that for sure. In the picture, I don’t know, but they could be anywhere in Northern Europe. I don’t think the UK or Ireland or else they will wear proper uniforms in school. If they are from UK, my guess would be perhaps England. Although the commonest blonde shade in the UK, is a softer, less bright blonde I’d say. They could also from the Netherlands, Northern Germany although still not typically of those populations.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In Europe it is the more south the more surviving farmer genes and the more north the more Steppe. HGs are also in the mix. There is some selection going on as well because Europeans have been getting lighter over a period of a few thousand years. I'm not as proficient in ydna but in Sweden the largest ydna is I1a which is from HGs, Finland is N1c. Someone like Token is knowledgeable about this stuff.
    Haplogroups are so old that I do not know will they describe us (any of us) anymore that well?

I was more thinking possible ''development'' via last 2000 years. After wars, border changes, nations changes and via more peaceful interactions (like sales, trades etc.) ... some mixing has happened.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Haplogroups are so old that I do not know will they describe us (any of us) anymore that well?

I was more thinking possible ''development'' via last 2000 years. After wars, border changes, nations changes and via more peaceful interactions (like sales, trades etc.) ... some mixing has happened.
    Yes they are old and don't always correspond to autosomal but it is interesting that Swedish don't have a Steppe ydna in the majority. It doesn't mean much though because they are higher in Steppe than some populations that have higher Steppe ydna. Autosomal is what makes populations what they are. Ydna can change quite quickly as in the past men that had the most power had more children so their ydna would end up a higher percentage in populations. It would be interesting to know what Genghis Khan's ydna was because he had a lot of progeny. Niall of the Nine Hostages is supposed to be why M222 was so prolific in Northwest Ireland and parts of Scotland but it was a bit more complicated than that.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrion View Post
    Oh well, the majority of Swedes and Scandinavians can tan well. Although there are a few who can’t, that for sure. In the picture, I don’t know, but they could be anywhere in Northern Europe. I don’t think the UK or Ireland or else they will wear proper uniforms in school. If they are from UK, my guess would be perhaps England. Although the commonest blonde shade in the UK, is a softer, less bright blonde I’d say. They could also from the Netherlands, Northern Germany although still not typically of those populations.
    This had nothing to do with skin color. But as you again rose that topic up; then yes that's normal skin color of Swedes (and not that over tanned woman you posted). Calling those now Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, or Type IV? .... seriously I do not care anymore about this ''shit''. So I give up. That is still how Swedes looks like. And so do I. Enough for me. Do not need anybodies approvals here. End of discussion.

Secondly, yes you might find rare similar individuals in those particular places, but not nearly in the same volume/scale.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information