"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Anglo, Baltic
    Ethnicity
    English, French, Irish, Scottish, German, Distant American Indian
    Ancestry
    Mother's Side: Colonial Virginia. Fathers Side: German/Lithuania early 1900s.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Atlantid-CM
    Politics
    Paleo Conservative
    Hero
    General Lee
    Religion
    Christian Protestant
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,056
    Given: 10,319

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    Get your hearing checked. If your vision's better, you'll see that Adele is hot now, and she looks a bit like Kiera Knightley in certain angles and lighting (from what I saw).
    Adeles caterwauling can be used to keep pests away, so she is useful for something.

Sent from my F91 5G using Tapatalk

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,599
    Given: 6,547

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Richmondbread View Post
    Someone born in 1969 would be core Gen X. 1980s teens , MTV generation. I was born in 1979 and considered the very end of Gen X. I was a small child in the 1980s and was using a computer in 1st grade.

Sent from my F91 5G using Tapatalk
    We'll just call you a Millennial. Generation X doesn't want you.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,263
    Given: 16,013

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    Here's one for you. It fits the '70s singer-songwriter vibe.

Bob Dylan or Simon & Garfunkle?
    Carole King or James Taylor?
    Jim Croce or Gordon Lightfoot?
    Cat Stevens or Al Stewart?
    Harry Chapin or Don McClean?
    John Denver or William Shatner?
    Haha I’ll be straight up. This isn’t really my genre so I haven’t heard much from these guys.

Simon & Garfunkel
    James Taylor
    Gordon Lightfoot
    The rest I’ve only heard maybe one song from them.
    What’s done in darkness will come to light

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Occipitalian
    Ethnicity
    polenta
    Ancestry
    Triveneto and Lombardia
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Hero
    JamesBond007, Roberto Baggio
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,002
    Given: 1,851

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Incal View Post
    Same. I only like to listen Wu-Tang Clan the rest is meh to me. An entirely "gringo" genre if you ask me. But due to general culture I know the basics. But then again, I think your use of "Black music" is a little too limited in this case, maybe you mean contemporary black music. Marvin Gaye is "black music" too IMO and I really enjoy that.
    I think a white guy from a rural immigrant colony (or really most non-globalized "white" latin american) is spiritually detached from anything composed in a Black American neighborhood, that's what I mean, contemporary black music especially.
    I like some songs from Gaye and am a big fan of the Brazilian Soul singer Tim Maia. But it's as if a Black guy listened to those gaucho songs talking about horses and cattle farming.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007
    I got the spaghetti nigger blues I got the spaghetti nigger blues from the top of my hat to the bottom of my cowboy shoes. What kind of Catholic barbaric black art voodoo pills do you prescribe mister Dago ?

Veteran Member BakersfieldChimp's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic Prussian
    Ethnicity
    Eastern European
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Fritz Lang
    Religion
    wouldn't be the first time
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,938
    Given: 2,411

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I’m impressed that you knew the ones that you mentioned

When you have a chance listen to this and let me know what you think.

I haven’t heard much from Townes van Zandt, any you’d recommend?
    I have a deep love for both Gordon Lightfoot and Townes van Zandt so I'm jumping in.
    The two qualities that Lightfoot and Zandt share are rare. They both can paint vivid landscapes with their words. Their melodies have the "inevitable" quality. When a song is heard for the first time but the melody just sounds familiar even though it is obviously not.

Zandt was influential to that Austin sound of the eighties

When Zandt's songs get radio play at all, it is on country radio and always sung by someone else.

His most famous.

His most heartbreaking story song.
    \ ]

My personal favorite of his shorter songs.

If one wants to get an hour overview of his songwriting, this tribute shows the respect and influence he had. Perhaps only a hardcore folkie will know the amazing talent that was packed up on that stage,

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BakersfieldChimp View Post
    I have a deep love for both Gordon Lightfoot and Townes van Zandt so I'm jumping in.
    The two qualities that Lightfoot and Zandt share are rare. They both can paint vivid landscapes with their words. Their melodies have the "inevitable" quality. When a song is heard for the first time but the melody just sounds familiar even though it is obviously not.

Zandt was influential to that Austin sound of the eighties

When Zandt's songs get radio play at all, it is on country radio and always sung by someone else.

His most famous.

His most heartbreaking story song.
    \ ]

My personal favorite of his shorter songs.

If one wants to get an hour overview of his songwriting, this tribute shows the respect and influence he had. Perhaps only a hardcore folkie will know the amazing talent that was packed up on that stage,

I am more familiar with Gordon Lightfoot but I have listened to the suggestions that you and rossa-slongo shared of Townes van Zandt. It’s clear they are both talented in their story-telling. Quality lyrics as they paint the pictures beautifully.
    Townes Van Zandt has a softer and calming tone, I’d listen to him while on a long road-trip but I’d definitely have to be in the mood.

Rossa-slongo, could you share some of these “gaucho” songs? That’s a genre I’ve never listened to and I’m intrigued haha

ⰍⰁⰑⰃⰀⰜⰇⰁ Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 299

1 Not allowed!

Ice-cream, Summer, most of today’s top hits. Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran lol
    Lol, same! Don't like the Beatles, can't stand today's popular music and I'm not a summer child :-)

Have you ever tried bungee jumping or skydiving? Or is there there any adventurous experience you'd like to share?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marsa View Post
    Lol, same! Don't like the Beatles, can't stand today's popular music and I'm not a summer child :-)

Have you ever tried bungee jumping or skydiving? Or is there there any adventurous experience you'd like to share?
    I’ve always wanted to skydive, I tried to do it for my 21st birthday but none of my friends were up for it
    Now that I’m older and a mother it isn’t as appealing to me.

I would get my adrenaline rush by hiking up to mountain summits when I lived in Colorado I encountered a lot of wild animals; Buffalos, Big Horn Sheep, Foxes, Bobcats and smaller rodents. It definitely fulfilled my adventurous side.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Occipitalian
    Ethnicity
    polenta
    Ancestry
    Triveneto and Lombardia
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Hero
    JamesBond007, Roberto Baggio
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,002
    Given: 1,851

1 Not allowed!

I am more familiar with Gordon Lightfoot but I have listened to the suggestions that you and rossa-slongo shared of Townes van Zandt. It’s clear they are both talented in their story-telling. Quality lyrics as they paint the pictures beautifully.
    Townes can Zandt has a softer and calming tone, I’d listen to him while on a long road-trip but I’d definitely have to be in the mood.

Rossa-slongo, could you share some of these “gaucho” songs? That’s a genre I’ve never listened to and I’m intrigued haha
    In Argentina people call it "folklore" and in Brazil "musica gaucha". It's a good mix of different genres that have in common the use of classic guitars "the spanish way", sometimes violins and nowadays more important than all, the accordion or bandoneón. It can be similar to Tango, as it is a big influence to this genre of Buenos Aires. The biggest divide to me, be it in Portuguese or Spanish, is between the more playful, rural songs and later some serious, often instrumental pieces.

Most Italian immigrants have this genre as their own too, as everyone from the South arrived in Rio Grande do Sul. My paternal greatgrandfather Luigi (the man on the signature photo) lived there until he killed a man (long story) and fled to the bordering state of Santa Catarina. Grandpa says he asked his mother to leave the state on his mom's womb because he did not want to be called a Gaucho . He does not like the genre and prefers the old "Sertanejo" from the rural Southeast and Midwest, while my maternal grandfather really likes it.

I will show you some samples, I hope I've chosen the right ones, I am pretty anxious when I introduce people to a genre or an artist because a bad choice can paint a wrong image of the music to the listener.

Brazilian songs:
    Spoiler!

Argentinian songs:
    Spoiler!

Modern rock songs influenced (even if slightly) by folklore.
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by capocannoniere; 11-05-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007
    I got the spaghetti nigger blues I got the spaghetti nigger blues from the top of my hat to the bottom of my cowboy shoes. What kind of Catholic barbaric black art voodoo pills do you prescribe mister Dago ?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    Anglo Cajun
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rossa-slongo View Post
    In Argentina people call it "folklore" and in Brazil "musica gaucha". It's a good mix of different genres that have in common the use of classic guitars "the spanish way", sometimes violins and nowadays more important than all, the accordion or bandoneón. It can be similar to Tango, as it is a big influence to this genre of Buenos Aires. The biggest divide to me, be it in Portuguese or Spanish, is between the more playful, rural songs and later some serious, often instrumental pieces.

Most Italian immigrants have this genre as their own too, as everyone from the South arrived in Rio Grande do Sul. My paternal greatgrandfather Luigi (the man on the signature photo) lived there until he killed a man (long story) and fled to the bordering state of Santa Catarina. Grandpa says he asked his mother to leave the state on his mom's womb because he did not want to be called a Gaucho . He does not like the genre and prefers the old "Sertanejo" from the rural Southeast and Midwest, while my maternal grandfather really likes it.

I will show you some samples, I hope I've chosen the right ones, I am pretty anxious when I introduce people to a genre or an artist because a bad choice can paint a wrong image of the music to the listener.

Brazilian songs:
    [spoiler]

Argentinian songs:
    Spoiler!

Modern rock songs influenced (even if slightly) by folklore.
    Spoiler!
    Thanks so much for sharing, I loved them!
    It was interesting to me because I felt a sense of familiarity. Zydeco (Cajun music) is heavy on the accordion as well, the only difference is the tempo. Zydeco is more upbeat, light and fun. The genre you shared with me seems a bit more dramatic and deep. (Which is why I enjoyed it) Ofc I can’t understand the lyrics so maybe it’s more light-hearted than I’m assuming.

Your family background was perfect because it helped add that dramatic flare to the music and it was more rich in context. (My relatives weren’t angels either…which is okay because they make for great stories :-p)

No need to feel anxious! I get like that too, I don’t want to ruin someone’s idea of a genre because I suggested the wrong ones
    But I can appreciate the cultural value traditional music holds, it helps me familiarize myself with the culture.

Here’s an example of Zydeco music:

Last edited by Celestia; 11-05-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Page 67 of 115 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread Information