Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voskos View Post
    The difference between a Finn and a Swede: higher IQ, looks slightly more Asian, doesn't wear expensive clothes, less arrogant, more down-to-earth , doesn't bully Sami natives, doesn't colonize , respects both higher and lower cultures, no social hierarchy.
    It is ''funny'' that people who has probably never ever even been in either of these countries will in TA tell me how the things will be. I mean; seriously?

1.) Higher IQ?
    Are you so sure about this? If their intelligences now have any real differences then its vary area by area. One example: No question, Swedes are better marketing about their products (starting from imago of their country) than Finns. Hands down.

2.) Does not wear expensive clothes?
    Some Finns do that (in biggest cities) and opposite not all Swedes will do. Over all none will wear very expensive clothes, more like good and practical clothes (except rare rich people). I have a feeling that poorer Eastern Europeans or poorer Southern Europeans will use more money (higher % of their total incomes) to their clothes that people do here. Between Finns and Swedes; Swedes just care bit more how they'll look vs Finns. This will not only come up via clothes but everything (hair cuttings, fashions etc.)

3.) Less arrogant?
    I'm not totally sure about this either (deep inside). Less silent? Absolutely. Caring less about other people business? Perhaps so too.

4.) More Down to Earth?
    More introvert, do not care about other people as long as those will not have clear negative influences to them.

4.) Bully Samis?
    It is actually Finland which has not officially apologies from Samis people (how nation has threaten them). Norway & Sweden have done that. Of course their ''crimes'' have been heavier than Finns, but still. This process is just beginning in Finland.

5.) Does not colonize?
    Finns have never been in position to do that either. I do not know what to think about Great Finland visons of some (WW II time)?

6.) Respect both higher and lower cultures?
    Which cultures? Different countries and different ethnics? Are you so sure again? Finns are actually more racists.

7.) No social hierarcy?
    LOL, social model of Finland is one kind memory mark of time as Finland was part of Sweden. An the rest is often copied from Sweden. If there are clear social hierarcies in Sweden, then just because uncontrolled immigration policy. Immigrants being low class people. Finland has those much less. Again there are no huge differences between ethnic Swedes in Sweden vs ethnic Finns in Finland. How much those will vary inside of their own groups.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-24-2022 @ 03:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sub-Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Afro-Asiatic
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Russian influence in Finland is negligible compared to other states that bordered the USSR. Despite their immediate proximity Finland has managed to avoid becoming a satellite state and is fully Western politically, economically and culturally (Protestant Christian with Latin script). Firmly allied with the Western Bloc during the Cold War. Given their location, I'd say the Finns lucked out big time.

I'd actually say Finns are much closer to other Nordic countries with the exception of the language. I don't see them as a people that are similar to Eastern Europeans at all.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Hound View Post
    Given their location, I'd say the Finns lucked out big time.
    Luck plays one role here (as always) but just one. Finns have also paid pretty high price for all that. Not only at WWII time but always in history. Saying other words: Being (small) neighbor of Russians is not any easy task.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread Information