Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default ID cards 'a step closer'

ID cards 'a step closer'

Plans to introduce ID cards came a step closer today after the government announced it had awarded contracts for the technologies required to process applications and store the data.
    The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) will replace and upgrade its current systems for both enhanced passports and the controversial ID card scheme in deals worth £650 million.

The contracts form part of the wider system which uses facial and fingerprint recognition technology and will cost the taxpayer more than £4.8billion over the next ten years.
    "These contracts bring ID cards and more secure British passports a step closer," said home secretary Jacqui Smith.
    "These improvements will further help protect our borders."
    Foreign nationals are already being issued with ID cards and airside staff at Manchester and London City airports will be issued with cards from the autumn as part of an 18 month evaluation period.

However, as reported by politics.co.uk despite continued investment in the technology required to process and store the information, UK security forces still lack the capability to read data stored on cards.
    National co-ordinator of NO2ID Phil Booth said this was further proof of the "billion pound bonanza" for companies involved in the ID cards scheme.
    He described the move as a "blatant piece of Home Office empire building", adding that in the current financial situation such excessive public spending "flies in the face of both common sense and political reality".
    "Issuing complicated mega-contracts in an attempt to tie future governments to their ID ambitions is a bit of a last gasp effort," he said.
    "Both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems have pledged to scrap the scheme, and the excuse that 'this would all need to be done anyway' has worn so thin you can see holes right through it."

James Hall, IPS chief executive, said: "The British passport is already one of the most secure in the world and it is vital we maintain that strength by moving with the rest of the international community.
    "That is why as we replace expiring contracts we are introducing fingerprint and facial biometric technology to the passport.
    "At the same time we are upgrading our application process to improve the service our customers receive. Both contracts will also help deliver the ID cards programme."

The contract to upgrade the IPS's application and enrolment system was awarded to CSC while the technology required to store the information will be provided by IBM.
    CSC won the contract from a group of 50 prospective bidders back in September 2007 which were reduced to a shortlist of five before hundreds of face-to-face meetings to determine the final choice.
    Mr Hall said: "IBM and CSC have shown they are superbly placed to deliver these large projects and we are delighted they are working with us."
    The Scottish National party (SNP) described the government's commitment to the plans as "absurd".

SNP home affairs spokesperson Pete Wishart said: "Labour’s abysmal record on data protection is reason enough to abandon ID cards but it is even more absurd pushing ahead with this costly project given the dire state of the UK government's finances."
    ID cards will be available to volunteers from later this year before the government begins issuing them to young people in 2010.
    Source

Last Online
    02-11-2013 @ 01:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English, Frisian, Frankish
    Ancestry
    England and the Netherlands
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Cynical
    Religion
    Old
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

"Both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems have pledged to scrap the scheme..."
    What's the bet they change their minds when in power because of some 'unforeseen' security concerns.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Wat, why do you oppose ID cards?

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,942
    Given: 45,031

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with them either -- provided that the information retained would be basic identification, not some dodgy complete profile about us on a government database. I want to retain my privacy as much as possible.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Cynical
    Religion
    Old
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Is that a genuine question Psychonaut? I'd like to answer it too, if I may.

The Nationalist might wonder why another Nationalist opposes something which can only help to control illegal immigration. The problem is that it does so at the expense of our most basic liberties. Illegal immigration (and all immigration for that matter) can be effectively controlled without the need for ID cards - have passports prevented the problem?

Fact is, the Government are not introducing ID cards to help control immigration. They're doing it to restrict the liberties of all British citizens. It is an Orwellian step too far and I for one will be rejecting the ID card.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cythraul View Post
    The problem is that it does so at the expense of our most basic liberties.
    How does an ID card (just an ID card mind you, not some kind of biometric nonsense) curtail your liberties?

...and yes, this is a genuine, non-rhetorical question
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 04-09-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

An id card would not, after all we already have a driving licence and passport, I'll admit that you don't have to have these, but it is almost impossible to get by with out them. One of my main objections to the ID card is that is WILL be biometric, and it will be compulsory. I often go out without my wallet, soon it seems that will be against the law.
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Cynical
    Religion
    Old
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

How does an ID card (just an ID card mind you, not some kind of biometric nonsense) curtail your liberties?
    From what I gather, you'll not be able to travel internationally without an ID card, therefore making it compulsory, effectively.

As Thrymheim said, you'll be obliged to carry it at all times and obliged to present it to any and all authorities. The card will be connected to a central database and in an instant, a policeman, bank, train conductor etc will know everything about you. Now, there goes the saying "nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide". Well I have something to hide: my privacy.

At present, the only terrifying thing I know for sure about the NID card is that it's only the beginning. There are already proposals for biometric chips as a step-up from NID cards and as with everything the New World Order does, its progression will be incremental. First you'll not be able to leave the country without an NID card, then you'll not be eleigible for healthcare without one, then you'll not be permitted to buy food without one.

It's 1984 come true. We'll all be reduced to a microchip (the mark of the beast?) not a name, not a human being. Our entire lives will be governed by a compulsory card in our wallets. Our basic freedoms stolen by it.

Previously we were all innocent until proven guilty. From now on we won't even be sentenced by a judge and jury but automatically by the information stored about us in a central database. If our lifestyles and demeanours do not fit the preset approval of Government tyrants, we'll be treated as criminals instantly.

Overall though, it represents the opening of the floodgates. Once the ID card is in effect, all kinds of Draconian measures become reality. And besides all this, we're being told it's for one thing (terrorism) when it's really for another (totalitarianism). That in itself rings ALL the alarm bells.

squirrel in a nutty world Crose's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-02-2009 @ 01:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Dutch, German
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

^ Agreed.

" war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength."

Goodbye freedom.. hello multiculturalism. Aren't we supposed to just soak it all up?

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

My province is currently the testing ground for a "new and enhanced" provincial ID that will also serve to replace passports at the US border if you are not flying into the country. According to the CBC article above, it is not supposed to contain personal information but it does, because it contains your vital stats, which are used to prove who you are, of course. It also has a chip to log your comings and goings at the border. I resist getting one, but if the program succeeds, it will be the ID for all provincial dealings and I will have to have it. There was excited happy talk when these first rolled out a couple of months ago (the articles are from earlier this year) about how eventually we could have ALL of our information on this lovely little chip.

According to this article, anyone with the correct scanner can grab your information. I laughed out loud at the part which talked about the piece of foil in the new passports that blocks scanners from reading passports when they are closed.

Tin foil hats so they can't read our thoughts?
    Last edited by Solwyn; 04-10-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: adding more stuff:)
    The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Crazy Coley's Yarnwhority
    Nails By Nicole: my very small portfolio right now!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information