View Poll Results: Do you believe in a soul?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 68.00%
  • No

6 24.00%
  • Maybe

2 8.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in a disembodied soul?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-12-2023 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Switzerland
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Balto-Alpinid
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,544
    Given: 1,069

3 Not allowed!

Default Do you believe in a disembodied soul?

Do you believe in a disembodied soul or do you think it is all biochemistry (like I do); I am 100% sure that there is no soul.
    If you believe in it, when do you think it arises? Do you believe that your soul lives further after your death?
    Blue eyed honey in the sun
    Warm, wet and on the run
    On the run, on the run, on the run, on the run,....
    On the run, on the run, on the run, on the run

Banned
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Midwestern Trash
    Ancestry
    Across Northern Europe with a sprinkle of Med
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    N1b1b, H3(P)
    Hero
    The Christ
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,434
    Given: 5,952

2 Not allowed!

Soul refers to a whole individual, mind/body/spirit. I take it you mean one's spirit, and in which case, yes. Our flesh bodies are a "reflection" of the spirit, a vehicle, to interact with this three-dimensional world.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Switzerland
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Balto-Alpinid
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I think Armenids had a great influence on the great three semitic religions and thats why the "soul" is so important for those religions.
    Warm, wet and on the run

Resident Gadfly
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,096
    Given: 24,273

2 Not allowed!

I don't believe in it as a metaphysical entity, which I think is the common belief, that we "have" a soul that goes somewhere when we die.

Feelings are processes of the human mind but do not always equate to material experience i.e. feeling cold when burning with fever, because a mercury thermometer would disprove that feeling's factual standing.

A belief of non-belief is the standard factually correct statement of being. I don't have to believe in the myriad of spirits, gods, legends and cultural baggages of thousands of tribes/civilisations, they're simply irrelevant to my knowledge and perception. Such is the concept of 'soul' as well.

The concept of creator is culturally bound to Eurasian philosophy. One does not need a creator if you don't concieve existence as a creation. If a soul exists within the Christian concept it can only be immaterial and eternal. Genesis 2:7 shows that the soul is created from no material in contrast to the body. The Bible mentions multiple times that the things that are unseen are eternal.

Science has nothing to say about the human soul. There is nothing in biology that suggests that a soul exists; you don't dissect a brain and see a soul nestling between the pituitary and hypothalamus. There is no problem in biology that can be solved by invoking the existence of a soul as a hypothesis.

All the properties assigned to the soul (consciousness, conscience, memory, character, etc.) are changed by brain injury/disease. This is compelling evidence that everything we think of as "soul" is actually brain activity (which obviously ceases when you die).

And consciousness seems to be more out of our grasp. There are single cell organisms that seem to thrive with no brain or nervous system to produce activity of consciousness such as a paramecium. It has no brain or nervous system and yet it's still aware of it's environment, hunts, eats, kills, mates, reproduces just like any creature would do to survive.

I think consciousness is like a bottle of water in the ocean. When I die, the bottle breaks, and the water in it is mixed with the rest of the ocean. Without the container, there can be no "I", and you cannot fill a container with the same water twice, so "I" won't be back. But I won't disappear, I'll just go back to the same state as before I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Batavia View Post
    I think Armenids had a great influence on the great three semitic religions and thats why the "soul" is so important for those religions.
    More like Orientalids.

It actually goes back to ancient Hittites. A stone memorial in Sam'al, Turkey proves people in the region believed in the soul almost 3,000 years ago. It's concrete, textual evidence of ancients believing in the soul outliving the body.

In other surrounding cultures, the normal belief was that the soul remained in the body after death, attached to the bones. This idea of soul transference is an odd one to find in Turkey. That's more in line with beliefs like those from ancient Egypt, but there's no other evidence of a meeting of the cultures.

The three 8th century BCE inscriptions of Kuttamuwa, Hadad, and Panamuwa use the Aramaic cognate of נפש to refer to the dead person who shares in the sacrifices to the gods and who may inhabit the erected stele in the afterlife.

Richard Friedman and Shawna Dolansky offer a compelling case that there is some conception of afterlife in ancient Israelite religion.

The ancient Hebrew concept may have been influenced by Egyptian concept which regarded the whole living person as made up of several different physical and spiritual components, some of which (such as the ka and the ba) survive the death of the individual. This isn't a dichotomy of body and soul but rather the whole person breaking down at death, with some parts decaying and some parts enduring.

This is different from an immortal soul concept, which views the soul as fully alive without the body, as opposed to the soul being a spiritual residue of a person that now has a deathly existence without physical embodiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    We GrecoRomansIberians once did the mistake of civilizing these cave-dwellers ,I suggest we make an alliance with muslims to accelerate their takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance12 View Post
    Scandinavia is not Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    It's OK to date girls 16+ they are not children remember the old song 'sweet sixteen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Whites are often jealous of Blacks for their athleticism, creative talent and sexual prowess.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Switzerland
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Balto-Alpinid
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I don't believe in it as a metaphysical entity, which I think is the common belief, that we "have" a soul that goes somewhere when we die.

Feelings are processes of the human mind but do not always equate to material experience i.e. feeling cold when burning with fever, because a mercury thermometer would disprove that feeling's factual standing.

A belief of non-belief is the standard factually correct statement of being. I don't have to believe in the myriad of spirits, gods, legends and cultural baggages of thousands of tribes/civilisations, they're simply irrelevant to my knowledge and perception. Such is the concept of 'soul' as well.

The concept of creator is culturally bound to Eurasian philosophy. One does not need a creator if you don't concieve existence as a creation. If a soul exists within the Christian concept it can only be immaterial and eternal. Genesis 2:7 shows that the soul is created from no material in contrast to the body. The Bible mentions multiple times that the things that are unseen are eternal.

Science has nothing to say about the human soul. There is nothing in biology that suggests that a soul exists; you don't dissect a brain and see a soul nestling between the pituitary and hypothalamus. There is no problem in biology that can be solved by invoking the existence of a soul as a hypothesis.

All the properties assigned to the soul (consciousness, conscience, memory, character, etc.) are changed by brain injury/disease. This is compelling evidence that everything we think of as "soul" is actually brain activity (which obviously ceases when you die).

And consciousness seems to be more out of our grasp. There are single cell organisms that seem to thrive with no brain or nervous system to produce activity of consciousness such as a paramecium. It has no brain or nervous system and yet it's still aware of it's environment, hunts, eats, kills, mates, reproduces just like any creature would do to survive.

I think consciousness is like a bottle of water in the ocean. When I die, the bottle breaks, and the water in it is mixed with the rest of the ocean. Without the container, there can be no "I", and you cannot fill a container with the same water twice, so "I" won't be back. But I won't disappear, I'll just go back to the same state as before I was born.

More like Orientalids.

It actually goes back to ancient Hittites. A stone memorial in Sam'al, Turkey proves people in the region believed in the soul almost 3,000 years ago. It's concrete, textual evidence of ancients believing in the soul outliving the body.

In other surrounding cultures, the normal belief was that the soul remained in the body after death, attached to the bones. This idea of soul transference is an odd one to find in Turkey. That's more in line with beliefs like those from ancient Egypt, but there's no other evidence of a meeting of the cultures.

The three 8th century BCE inscriptions of Kuttamuwa, Hadad, and Panamuwa use the Aramaic cognate of נפש to refer to the dead person who shares in the sacrifices to the gods and who may inhabit the erected stele in the afterlife.

Richard Friedman and Shawna Dolansky offer a compelling case that there is some conception of afterlife in ancient Israelite religion.

The ancient Hebrew concept may have been influenced by Egyptian concept which regarded the whole living person as made up of several different physical and spiritual components, some of which (such as the ka and the ba) survive the death of the individual. This isn't a dichotomy of body and soul but rather the whole person breaking down at death, with some parts decaying and some parts enduring.

This is different from an immortal soul concept, which views the soul as fully alive without the body, as opposed to the soul being a spiritual residue of a person that now has a deathly existence without physical embodiment.
    Thank you!
    Warm, wet and on the run

Banned
    Last Online
    12-28-2023 @ 04:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo imaginator
    Ethnicity
    East Asian
    Ancestry
    Zhuang Ethnic
    Country
    China
    Taxonomy
    Scion of Chaos
    Politics
    Order Of Chaos
    Hero
    President Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin
    Religion
    Amun-Ra
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 987

1 Not allowed!

I deal with the topic of soul by evading to talk about it in my body of philosophy. I believe in soul which is immaterial but not in either hell and heaven, nor in myself having a soul. Soul to me is even not necessarily a divisible idea, it just exists that is all that humankind needs to know, it does not matter how and where. God is similar to the idea of soul but not necessarily the same thing too, I see god or gods as a transposing idea that can be interpreted in countless ways, or the idea of god or gods itself is unstable to human conception, so that is why we have choosen peoples to generate monotheistic religions like christianity and Islamism. The idea of god itself is ambiguous, it is necessary to proclaim oneself as choosen to have a stable icon of a single god. Actually it is very logical for monotheisms to denounce other religions as false, because the idea of God once is canonized within a group of people, then all the rest of devine representations naturally become mundane and false in their theology. This is the idea of God, therefore, a god is not necessarily a god, but still being a god. By describing god, I differentiate the idea of god and soul, the soul is absolute, not necessarily knowable to humankind, something that simply exist outside our gnostic universe. Therefore, the soul is the absolute existence, while god or gods are about to be or not to be. I have to use the discussion of god and gods to offset my idea of soul, so the soul is higher than god and gods? yes, according to Hexachordia, as approved by Hexachordia from apricity. Like it or hate it.

Therefore, ghosts are not soul, anything that happens to human detection through every possible means, scientific or ritualistic, does not belong to my idea of soul, there is something outside our discussion, our universe, our cognitive spheres, that is the soul. It is more about the outsiders, rather than being immaterial or immortal.
    Last edited by Hexachordia; 11-12-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Lesser Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y23110
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized East Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,760
    Given: 5,256

4 Not allowed!

Maybe. We even don't know what dark matter and dark energy are.
    Not everything in the universe is simply atoms and chemical compounds.
    Quantum mechanics is so damn bizarre.
    I don't believe consciousness simply arises of out the complex network of neurons.
    There is something else, some primordial phenomenon.
    You can call it a soul and I don't think it is build out of atoms but it may interact with atoms.
    Last edited by michal3141; 11-12-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo fix

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Switzerland
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Balto-Alpinid
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I still doubt that there is a soul.
    Warm, wet and on the run

Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Zurückhaltung
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    We will run and scream
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,215
    Given: 4,457

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Batavia View Post
    I still doubt that there is a soul.
    I dont. Wheres the "soul" after 3 shots of tequila? Its all brain chemistry.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Epic, Mythical, Mythological and Biblical
    Ethnicity
    Español
    Ancestry
    Andalusia (Spain)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    E-BY7449-E-BY7566
    mtDNA
    J1c5c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,430
    Given: 4,759

1 Not allowed!

I do believe in the soul and in life after death, in this case I have had experiences that have proved it to me.

There is life after death.
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-BY7449/
    E-V22 - E-BY7449 - E-BY7566 - E-FT155550
    According to oral family tradition E-FT155550 comes from a deserter of Napoleon's troops (1808-1813) who stayed in Spain and changed his surname.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information