N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

24 Not allowed!

Default My AncestryDNA results

I'm very satisfied with their service. It went quickly, and I got a top notch raw data quality, even better than old 23andme V4 chip (around 172 000 snps!). My results and genetic community look very fine, but biggest value I got from this test is that I matched with very close family in the US who I had no idea ever tested, including full sister of my maternal grandfather! I'm on all these other sites but found them only on Ancestry, which seems to have giant database of American customers.

Interesting how they show where each reference peaks, and how much typical people in each region score of it. Balkans peaks in southern Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro and central Serbia.

Eastern European peaks in much of Poland (south and central), Slovakia, west Ukraine and east of Moravia.

Germanic Europe is obviously generic German component.

Baltics peak in Latvia and Lithuania. But small amount of Baltics seems to be fairly common to score for other peoples with eastern European DNA.

My results really make sense. I am "northern shifted" from full Dalmatian results of my relatives and get small German input they don't have. My amount of Balkan/EE seems to correspond with how people in central Croatia score (Karlovac-Zagreb area)
    Ofc I messaged them to talk them into uploading to gedmatch. That way I will see how my grandpa results looked like, and I will be able to get pure Dalmatian Islanders gedmatch results.

This how my 100% Dalmatian family I matched with scores:

Sister of my grandfather (100% from my Island)

88% The Balkans
    12% Eastern Europe & Russia

Her son, who is also 100% Dalmatian Islander as his father is from another Island in northern Dalmatia

84% The Balkans
    14% Eastern Europe & Russia
    2% Baltics

Another close cousin fully from my Island

84% The Balkans
    12% Eastern Europe & Russia
    2% Baltics
    2% Sweden & Denmark

We all get same genetic community which looks to be mainly based on Croats who emigrated to the US, as my family did too.

Here are my merged results, raw data from 23andme, MyHeritage and Ancestry combined with over 180 000 snps for maximum precision.

Eurogenes K13

North_Atlantic 29.98 Pct
    Baltic 32.51 Pct
    West_Med 15.6 Pct
    West_Asian 10.47 Pct
    East_Med 10.02 Pct
    Red_Sea -
    South_Asian -
    East_Asian 0.36 Pct
    Siberian 1.07 Pct
    Amerindian -
    Oceanian -
    Northeast_African -
    Sub-Saharan -

Spoiler!

Dodecad K12b

Gedrosia 5.77 Pct
    Siberian 0.83 Pct
    Northwest_African -
    Southeast_Asian -
    Atlantic_Med 27.64 Pct
    North_European 45.01 Pct
    South_Asian -
    East_African -
    Southwest_Asian 2.97 Pct
    East_Asian -
    Caucasus 17.78 Pct
    Sub_Saharan -

Spoiler!

Eurogenes K36
    Spoiler!

And finally, modeling with modern proxy pops ran me like this.

Target: Feiichy
    Distance: 1.8232% / 1.82324899

53.5 Belorussian
    25.1 Italian_Molise
    21.4 Dutch

Cheers!

El_Jibaro

1 Not allowed!

Great results!

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Hero
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,076
    Given: 909

1 Not allowed!

Congratulations

Not even a member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,590
    Given: 8,908

1 Not allowed!

Wouldn't order it personally but good for you!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,402
    Given: 6,746

1 Not allowed!

A good result, I think, albeit it requires some experience in interpretation.

If an American with unknown ancestry would get that result he would believe that he is 66% from that Balkan area and 26% from Eastern Europe and that's not correct, as we know.

That Balkan component is a particular mixture of proto Slav and paleo Balkan / Imperial Roman. If you deviate from that in one direction - here you as an average Croatian are at the northern fringe of that Balkan component area - you get additional Eastern European to balance the result.

But if you once are into an applicable interpretation, these results are useful and enlightening.
    Also, AncestryDNA is better than 23andMe for people from SE Europe, because at 23andMe all is merged into a "Balkan and Greece" component, while you have it divided at AncestryDNA.

And last but not least the huge database of AncestryDNA is a nice thing.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    A good result, I think, albeit it requires some experience in interpretation.

If an American with unknown ancestry would get that result he would believe that he is 66% from that Balkan area and 26% from Eastern Europe and that's not correct, as we know.

That Balkan component is a particular mixture of proto Slav and paleo Balkan / Imperial Roman. If you deviate from that in one direction - here you as an average Croatian are at the northern fringe of that Balkan component area - you get additional Eastern European to balance the result.

But if you once are into an applicable interpretation, these results are useful and enlightening.
    Also, AncestryDNA is better than 23andMe for people from SE Europe, because at 23andMe all is merged into a "Balkan and Greece" component, while you have it divided at AncestryDNA.

And last but not least the huge database of AncestryDNA is a nice thing.
    Thank you!

From 3 DNA tests I did, this one works best for me! And it's awesome how I could improve my family tree a lot and discover many ancestors I didn't know about trough DNA relatives who studied old records!
    Now I know I even have some centuries old Italian (Venetian) ancestry from my Hvar Island side, something that was very unexpected discovery for me.

And, considering other tests currently on the market, anyone interested in good raw data quality can't chose anything but AncestryDNA.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Healthy human being
    Country
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,505
    Given: 1,507

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Germanic Europe is obviously generic German component.

So a person with actual Germanic ancestry receives 4% and me with none 3%? Sounds like they aren't as accurate as I thought.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ion Basescul View Post
    So a person with actual Germanic ancestry receives 4% and me with none 3%? Sounds like they aren't as accurate as I thought.
    And how exactly do you know you have none? I get such amount of French & German on 23andme, so I would say estimate for me is correct.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Healthy human being
    Country
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,505
    Given: 1,507

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    And how exactly do you know you have none? I get such amount of French & German on 23andme, so I would say estimate for me is correct.
    The only line on which I could get some Germanic is that from Southern Moldova, where my maternal grandpa comes from, because that's where the bulk of Germans settled. The closest German village is 18km away and the closest Czech is 25km away.
    But on that line I know even the great-grandparents of my grandpa (aka my great-great-great-grandparents), and up to him they are all Romanians who were born in the same village.
    For those in the North and Centre the odds are significantly smaller, but there the lines are also well researched; up to at least great-great-grandparent level for all and further for some. The only possibility can come from the fact that once I get at great-great-grandparent level, for most ladies I don't have the maiden surname. But even if one were to have a Germanic surname, I am told that they were romanophones. This is very obvious from their nicknames of how people in the village and family called them, as opposed to the official forename in documents. They have typical Romanian nicknames in the late 1800s such as Catinca, Milica, Ilenuța, Sanda. So from this angle it's also dubious.

And I don't know if you noticed, but for me with 3% the range is even wider than for you with 4%. I get 0-12%. I want to think that it works like an Oracle, where some of my Slavic part is often confused with something West Slavic. But that gets refuted by you scoring more Balkan than me, while at the same time being more Northern and Western on K13. This is 23andme and MyHeritage problem all again, where for people from our region, Balkan and Eastern Euro can often overflow into one another. And apparently some could be confused for Germanic too.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ion Basescul View Post
    The only line on which I could get some Germanic is that from Southern Moldova, where my maternal grandpa comes from, because that's where the bulk of Germans settled. The closest German village is 18km away and the closest Czech is 25km away.
    But on that line I know even the great-grandparents of my grandpa (aka my great-great-great-grandparents), and up to him they are all Romanians who were born in the same village.
    For those in the North and Centre the odds are significantly smaller, but there the lines are also well researched; up to at least great-great-grandparent level for all and further for some. The only possibility can come from the fact that once I get at great-great-grandparent level, for most ladies I don't have the maiden surname. But even if one were to have a Germanic surname, I am told that they were romanophones. This is very obvious from their nicknames of how people in the village and family called them, as opposed to the official forename in documents. They have typical Romanian nicknames in the late 1800s such as Catinca, Milica, Ilenuța, Sanda. So from this angle it's also dubious.

And I don't know if you noticed, but for me with 3% the range is even wider than for you with 4%. I get 0-12%. I want to think that it works like an Oracle, where some of my Slavic part is often confused with something West Slavic. But that gets refuted by you scoring more Balkan than me, while at the same time being more Northern and Western on K13. This is 23andme and MyHeritage problem all again, where for people from our region, Balkan and Eastern Euro can often overflow into one another. And apparently some could be confused for Germanic too.
    Maybe you have some Csango Magyar admixture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information