Dinaro-Med
    Hero
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,078
    Given: 910

0 Not allowed!

Default A misconception about race, religion and ethnicity

I couldn't decide whether I should start this thread in genetics, ethno-cultural discussion or race and society section but I started anyways.

I used to know that Bosniaks have more Turkic and West Asian admixtures than Serbs and Croats since they are mostly Muslim and therefore intermarried with Ottoman people. A few days ago I watched a YouTube video that a Bosniak guy from Sweden takes a DNA test and scores 8% Peninsular Arabian and thinks that it might be because most Bosniaks are Muslims and intermarried with Arabs. If I am not wrong there was a Lebanese Christian on TA and he claimed Lebanese Christians are genetically more European than their Muslim counter parts. Is such a misconception common in real life? If yes, then what might be the cause?

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,136
    Given: 9,066

0 Not allowed!

Bosniaks are just southern Slavic, a little more Northern shifted then Serbs. Their non-European DNA is minor because of intermixing and is not commonly present among them. You've recently claimed that Bosniaks are more western looking then Italians now you claim they are more Arabic? Do you even read sometimes what you write? Also perception of Balkanic ethnics from Turkey is not correct, since you guys are heavilly mixed of everything. Turkey is a melting pot. In US when you claim to be British it's most likely you aren't even more than 50% British...

Last Online
    Today @ 10:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Hero
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    Bosniaks are just southern Slavic, a little more Northern shifted then Serbs. Their non-European DNA is minor because of intermixing and is not commonly present among them. You've recently claimed that Bosniaks are more western looking then Italians now you claim they are more Arabic? Do you even read sometimes what you write? Also perception of Balkanic ethnics from Turkey is not correct, since you guys are heavilly mixed of everything. Turkey is a melting pot. In US when you claim to be British it's most likely you aren't even more than 50% British...
    Yes, Bosniaks are a bit northern shifted than Serbs.

I am not the person who claims Bosniaks intermarried with Arabs. I just heard this claim from a Bosniak YouTuber from Sweden.

"Turkey is a melting pot. In US when you claim to be British it's most likely you aren't even more than 50% British..." Yes I agree with both of these sentences.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Rumelian
    Ethnicity
    Balkan Turkish, Pomak
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    Q-F16045
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,836
    Given: 7,303

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    Turkey can not be compared with the USA, because there is a distinct Turk ethnicity in Turkey and is a nation-state, very homogenous in terms of religion but very heterogeneous in terms of ethnicities. Ethnic Turks consist of like 50-60% of Turkey's population and have got a plain complex which is Hellenized Anatolian + Central Asian for the Anatolian Turks whilst Balkan Turks have consisted of Balkanites(usually Bulgarian and North Greek) + Central Asian. Although many other ethnicities such as Bosniaks, Albanians, Circassians, Zazas may consider themselves as Turkish in terms of nation, they know that they are not Turks ethnically(aruncaz is an obvious exception and he also has no clue about how these models works, most probably due to that he is 17 -recently claimed by him-)

In the context of the OP, Bosniaks are straightforward Balkanites with no addition in terms of masses, just like Albanians, Pomaks, Goranis, Torbeshis, Vallahades. Balkan Turks, on the other hand, are a mix of medieval Turks (around 20% on average in the autosomal dna) and native Balkanites of the regions they have settled: Bulgaria, Northern Greece, Northern Macedonia; makes them both ethnic Turks and Balkanites, just like how Anatolian Turks being both Turks and Anatolians simultaneously.

Turkey is also not a melting pot(for now, at least) due to separate ethnicities tend to marry within themselves, even if they are integrated into society, more like a country that hosts both ethnic Turks and various other ethnicities Turks have got common history and shared culture.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspias View Post
    Turkey can not be compared with the USA, because there is a distinct Turk ethnicity in Turkey and is a nation-state, very homogenous in terms of religion but very heterogeneous in terms of ethnicities. Ethnic Turks consist of like 50-60% of Turkey's population and have got a plain complex which is Hellenized Anatolian + Central Asian for the Anatolian Turks whilst Balkan Turks have consisted of Balkanites(usually Bulgarian and North Greek) + Central Asian. Although many other ethnicities such as Bosniaks, Albanians, Circassians, Zazas may consider themselves as Turkish in terms of nation, they know that they are not Turks ethnically(aruncaz is an obvious exception and he also has no clue about how these models works, most probably due to that he is 17 -recently claimed by him-)

In the context of the OP, Bosniaks are straightforward Balkanites with no addition in terms of masses, just like Albanians, Pomaks, Goranis, Torbeshis, Vallahades. Balkan Turks, on the other hand, are a mix of medieval Turks (around 20% on average in the autosomal dna) and native Balkanites of the regions they have settled: Bulgaria, Northern Greece, Northern Macedonia; makes them both ethnic Turks and Balkanites, just like how Anatolian Turks being both Turks and Anatolians simultaneously.

Turkey is also not a melting pot(for now, at least) due to separate ethnicities tend to marry within themselves, even if they are integrated into society, more like a country that hosts both ethnic Turks and various other ethnicities Turks have got common history and shared culture.
    Latin America has the largest population of Christian lebaneses in the World with around 15 milion people and they are perceived as white people and very integrated with Iberians, Italians and germans. They fell very latin american, they are very gratefull, sucessfull and integrated, their food is also very accepted, I also perceive this diaspora have a feeling of relief to have left the Middle East, a place where they were not welcome. I would like to know if their surnames are the same of muslin lebaneses.

Debora Halal Ayala, Miss Mexico 2021.

Brazilian Actress Thaila Ayala

Suzanne Von Richtofen, murdered her parentes in São Paulo 2002. Her mother was a lebanese-brazilian doctor.

Sabrino Sato, tv presente:

Leda Nagle:

Carlos Slim:

Shakira:

Malu Mader, actress:

Eduardo Nagle:

Geraldo Alckimin, ex São Paulo Governo

Fernando Haddad, ex Sao Paulo mayor, their darkest types are like him:

Michel Temer, ex Brazilian President:

Luciana Gimenez, tv presenter:

Salma Hayek:

João Carlos Saad, he was the richest banker in the world when alive:

Last edited by Tenma de Pegasus; 11-15-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Rumelian
    Ethnicity
    Balkan Turkish, Pomak
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    Q-F16045
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,836
    Given: 7,303

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma de Pegasus View Post
    Latin America has the largest population of Christian lebaneses in the World and they are perceived as white people and very integrated with Iberians, Italians and germans. They few very latin american and their food is also very accepted. I would like to know if their surnames are the same of muslin lebaneses.
    I do not know much about Lebanese. However, I might reference the Arabic-speaking Christian Assyrians in Mardin, there must be a great overlap in terms of culture between the Christian and Muslim populations. I also remember having seen surnames/forenames such as Haddad, Maroud, Bashir both Christians and Muslims. Halal is also one of them, apparently.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Hero
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

By the way all 3 cases in the OP are just misconceptions. I mean all 3 claims were wrong.

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 04:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgar
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Byzantine + Scythian (5.528) Seleucid + Scythian (5.695) Seleucid + Gaul (7.389) Byzantine + Gaul
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    E-FTD7860 / maternal grandparents I-p37, J-M172
    mtDNA
    J1c-C16261T
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Religion
    Orthodoxy Christianity
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,896
    Given: 1,003

2 Not allowed!

Yes, religion is a very strong factor, which in the case of Bosniaks can put more Turkic, West Asian or Arab components in their DNA. But this may have come from pre-Ottoman times. The Byzantine Empire often transferred inhabitants from its eastern provinces to the Balkans. Leo III Isaurus or Leo the Syrian was a Byzantine emperor from 717 until his death in 741. Founder of the Isaurian (also called Syrian) dynasty. He was born in Germany (now Marash, Turkey), Komagena district of northern Syria, on the border between the Byzantine Empire and the Arab Caliphate. As a child, he moved with his family from Justinian II to Mesembria, Thrace (695), as part of the imperial policy of settling in the depopulated Balkan provinces. Today's territories that belonged to Byzantium for a shorter or longer period are Asia Minor, the Balkans, the Apennine Peninsula, Tunisia, Cyrenaica, Libya, Egypt, Palestine, Jordan, Syria, Armenia, Abkhazia, Crimea, the large Mediterranean islands. Cyprus, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, the Balearic Islands, as well as other parts of the northern coast of Africa and the southeastern coast of Spain (then Betica).
    ...Even if a man lives well, he dies and another one comes into existence. Let the one who comes later upon seeing this inscription remember the one who had made it. And the name is Omurtag, Kanasubigi.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

0 Not allowed!

Edited

Banned
    Last Online
    03-12-2023 @ 08:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    100% DOMINIKIKI
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    SilverKnight
    Politics
    Far-WW-Leaning
    Hero
    Jesus Christ
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 35

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aruncaz View Post
    I couldn't decide whether I should start this thread in genetics, ethno-cultural discussion or race and society section but I started anyways.

I used to know that Bosniaks have more Turkic and West Asian admixtures than Serbs and Croats since they are mostly Muslim and therefore intermarried with Ottoman people. A few days ago I watched a YouTube video that a Bosniak guy from Sweden takes a DNA test and scores 8% Peninsular Arabian and thinks that it might be because most Bosniaks are Muslims and intermarried with Arabs. If I am not wrong there was a Lebanese Christian on TA and he claimed Lebanese Christians are genetically more European than their Muslim counter parts. Is such a misconception common in real life? If yes, then what might be the cause?
    Lebanese Christians along with many levantine Christians retain a lot of their indigenous Levantine ancestry. This can also be said about non-christian Levantine groups like the Samaritans and Druze who also cluster next to Levantine Christians and Iron Age levants. Now of course phenotypically there might not be any difference between a Lebanese Muslim and a Lebanese Christian, but if you use non-commercial DNA models to determine the distance between both populations you will see that the distance is quite significant. That is of course due to the fact that Lebanese Muslims and other Levantine Muslims have some SSA admixture along with their increased Peninsular Arab admixture. I've even seen some Lebanese Muslims on 23andme score some eastern European admixture, maybe it Is just noise, or perhaps it can be attributed to the Janissaries. Only God knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information