Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly Atlantid with Dinaric influence.
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,591
    Given: 48,320

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Östsvensk View Post
    This is true, although Western Finns and Eastern Finns differ from each other quite a bit on a PCA:

Again, it is because of the heavy bottleneck, but happening within Finland itself. Also there is a reason why a lot of odd genetic disorders are only present in Finns whereas some other inherited diseases are nearly totally absent in them (like Cystic fibrosis or hemochromatosis that ... likely not coincidentally are common in Ireland & the Irish). The fact that Eastern Finns plot elsewhere is not indicative for their genetics being diverse to me, but is indicative of the drift being strong.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    They don't show more homozygous ancestry than other Europeans. Less than Middle-Easterners. IDK who are those scientists you refer.
    Why do you bring MENA people into it? Because they practice cousin marriage? It's a different kettle of fish as we're talking about population history.

Finns are noticeably homogeneous and different from other Europeans genetically speaking.

Sajantila for instance is such a scientist.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...o-TZNtBVVEU-b5

I remember reading about it in a no of books, it is not BS.

And I will quote an article written on the website related to Finnish biobank.

HomeToggle navigation
    Advancing Medical Research
    How Finland’s Unique Genetic Heritage Is Being Used to Study the Links Between Genes and Diseases
    The FinnGen study will analyze up to 500,000 blood samples from biobanks in Finland, taking advantage of a unique feature in the country’s genetic heritage.

The unique genetic heritage of the Finns — marked by repeated population bottlenecks and isolation from their neighbors in northern Europe — is helping scientists embark on a search for the complex links between genes and diseases.
    Finland also has a robust network of biobanks, and the country has passed laws that make the voluminous biobank data accessible to researchers. The combination of those two factors has set the stage for the FinnGen study, which began in the fall of 2017 and will continue for six years. FinnGen is a consortium being coordinated by the University of Helsinki in which Pfizer and six other pharmaceutical partners will work with Finnish biobanks to conduct genomic and phenotype analysis involving up to 500,000 patients.

Key to this study is that the Finns underwent repeated population bottlenecks (severe and rapid reductions in population size) — including major episodes about 4,000 years ago and again 2,000 years ago. In addition, the Finns were relatively isolated, making the country’s population of 5.5 million today relatively homogeneous genetically. These features make the Finns well suited to gene mapping studies. In such a population, a genetic mutation in one of the population’s “founders” — that is, the small group of ancestors who survived the bottlenecks — can be more easily tracked.

“In both the demographics and the migration history of the population, there are some unique characteristics in how that presents itself in genetics,” says Melissa R. Miller, Senior Manager, Computational Target Validation, Target Sciences and Technologies at Pfizer and one of the Pfizer investigator(s) for the FinnGen study.

A Brief History of the Finnish People
    The area that is Finland today was first inhabited by humans after the glaciers from the last ice age receded about 10,000 years ago. But it remained sparsely populated until about 2,000 years ago, and even then, it wasn’t until the 1500s that people began migrating from the early settlements in the southwest of the country — mostly along the coast of the Baltic Sea — into the northern and eastern regions, with those migrant populations often forming isolated enclaves of fewer than 50,000 people. In addition, there have been repeated population bottlenecks, the last one in the early 1700s.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Again, it is because of the heavy bottleneck, but happening within Finland itself. Also there is a reason why a lot of odd genetic disorders are only present in Finns whereas some other inherited diseases are nearly totally absent in them (like Cystic fibrosis or hemochromatosis that ... likely not coincidentally are common in Ireland & the Irish). The fact that Eastern Finns plot elsewhere is not indicative for their genetics being diverse to me, but is indicative of the drift being strong.
    I do not know how much bottle necks have influenced on that and how much just fact that Finns have been much more isolated ffrom other Europeans populations than any others. Less natural mixing.

Genetic disorders? Pretty right. Just adding that Finns are not anymore sicker than any others (generally speaking) if some got that picture. But diseases differs. That and pretty small population has made Finns actually one of the most interesting group to study. To find out which humans genes might have connection to which diseases.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    I do not know how much bottle necks have influenced on that and how much just fact that Finns have been much more isolated ffrom other Europeans populations than any others. Less natural mixing.

Genetic disorders? Pretty right. Just adding that Finns are not anymore sicker than any others (generally speaking) if some got that picture. But diseases differs. That and pretty small population has made Finns actually one of the most interesting group to study. To find out which humans genes might have connection to which diseases.
    Obviously they are not. In fact they are more healthy than Poles are and have longer estimated lifespan (esp. men).

Banned
    Last Online
    02-23-2022 @ 01:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Magyar
    Ancestry
    Historic Hungary/Holy Roman Empire
    Country
    Hungary
    Y-DNA
    R-M417 (8700 ybp)
    mtDNA
    H10-a T16093C (9000 ybp)
    Politics
    Green Left
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,864
    Given: 444

0 Not allowed!

Why do you bring MENA people into it? Because they practice cousin marriage? It's a different kettle of fish as we're talking about population history.

Finns are noticeably homogeneous and different from other Europeans genetically speaking.

Wow, this must be one of the most cutting edge scientific researches over a massive group of people in the world, I also know that Estonians have very similar great ambitions to do large national scale genetic testing. In Hungary there is too right now a project that wants to test carefully selected modern Hungarians, even if on a much smaller scale than the hundreds of thousands of the Finnish case. I guess it's a Finno-Ugric thing to be so invested in modern population genetic research.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

0 Not allowed!

I know this, I'm bit individualist here ... or I'm not looking for consensus same ways as my relatives and their friends. I can easily disagree and also easily say that.

But you ''chads'' ... learn to marketing your products and ideas bit better and then we will come back to this (who looks up who). Yes, I know with start-ups last years development looks pretty promising in Finland. Just learn bit social skills to materialize all those ideas .
    Yeah out of the 10 fastest growing scale-ups in Europe last year 4 were Finnish: Swappie, IQM, Aiven and Supermetrics.

This year foreign investment capital in Finnish startups already in half 1 topped last year record for whole year. Unfortunately lot of the money is Wallenberg money so if they become succesfull lot from the money goes to fucking Wallenberg pocket

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunai View Post
    Wow, this must be one of the most cutting edge scientific researches over a massive group of people in the world, I also know that Estonians have very similar great ambitions to do large national scale genetic testing. In Hungary there is too right now a project that wants to test carefully selected modern Hungarians, even if on a much smaller scale than the hundreds of thousands of the Finnish case. I guess it's a Finno-Ugric thing to be so invested in modern population genetic research.
    Mr Pääbo is a Finn after all.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,436
    Given: 1,436

1 Not allowed!

Paternal haplogroups in Finland prove high paternal variation and common paternal ancestries in 2000-3000 years. It proves nothing about maternal and autosomal ancestry. In every country in Europe the paternal ancestry is from the Bronze Age, not older. The result depends on how you calculate it. If you watch HG's I and N the common ancestry is 50000 yo. If only I the ancestry is 2500-3000 yo. N is one of the oldest in Europe, older than in Latvia an Lithuania. But yDna mutions are continuous and individual mutations start from the birth.

Finngen's goal is to "sell" their data to scientists all over the world. Geneticists especially are eager to search honor and glory. During 20 years reading genetic studies I have seen that we have only a few really dedicated geneticists worldwide. The fact is that only thing that matters is the genome structure and it is not homogeneous because the homozygosity is not high. Alright it is higher than in West Europe, but not higher than in the Baltic area generally.
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 12-06-2021 at 09:14 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,436
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Rare genetic disorders in Finland are found from peripheral areas, like Salla disease. Distances are in North Finland big and ciecumstances are favorable for sustaining bad mutations due to increasing homozygosity. Actually Scots have similar history in mountain areas and they have also similar registers.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39