Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that being a true American is being someone of English descent?

Last Online
    02-21-2023 @ 07:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Ancestry
    English, German, and Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    H3a
    Taxonomy
    Long face
    Politics
    Anglo-European Nationalism
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 507
    Given: 108

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by reboun View Post
    One of the members here told me that a good portion of Americans hold this idea but if it is true than it is purely nonsense since America is a land of immigration. In other words if there would be no immigration to America, it would have never existed.
    Unfortunately that view is not common at all. It's a little skewed but very far from nonsense and your idea of America is just a reinvented one from 1900 or so. That's only a short quarter of the time the culture has formed here, and that culture while not exclusively English is very little other than English, Scottish, and some German. The other contributions pre-1900 are very overstated, of the white population less than 4% was something other than German speaking or English speaking British Isles before the Civil War. And of the roughly 10-15% nonwhites from 1650 until 1960, maybe 1% were not african right up until the massive hispanic migration of the 20th century. Solely English? No, but the English were the progenitors of it and the dominant ethnic group, you could easily say the CORE ethnic group of American identity, for a very very long part of its history. I would argue that even Scottish americans and German americans before a certain time were just there to assimilate into the English ethnicity in America both culturally and genetically. Had the civil war never happened and America remained isolationist as it was meant to, the bulk of the population today would be an English Scottish and German mix, with English as the major component.

THIS, or one of these separately, is what I regard as a "true" american. That and old stock african-americans. So no, to be a real American does not mean exclusively English, but it IS required. Or at least Scottish. I've never seen the U.S. that I consider to really be "america" as anything but that. The other european americans should have assimilated or left, and allowing the formation of their own identity opposed to old-stock americans is probably what really did us in.

Geiler Ficker. Perverser Ficker. Horndog. Pervert.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,234
    Given: 58,994

0 Not allowed!

Maybe not purely genetically but I consider a white looking person with English names and surnames and who's native language is considered English to be more typically American than other cultures someone like a typical country singer
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthDutch7991 View Post
    Unfortunately that view is not common at all. It's a little skewed but very far from nonsense and your idea of America is just a reinvented one from 1900 or so. That's only a short quarter of the time the culture has formed here, and that culture while not exclusively English is very little other than English, Scottish, and some German. The other contributions pre-1900 are very overstated, of the white population less than 4% was something other than German speaking or English speaking British Isles before the Civil War. And of the roughly 10-15% nonwhites from 1650 until 1960, maybe 1% were not african right up until the massive hispanic migration of the 20th century. Solely English? No, but the English were the progenitors of it and the dominant ethnic group, you could easily say the CORE ethnic group of American identity, for a very very long part of its history. I would argue that even Scottish americans and German americans before a certain time were just there to assimilate into the English ethnicity in America both culturally and genetically. Had the civil war never happened and America remained isolationist as it was meant to, the bulk of the population today would be an English Scottish and German mix, with English as the major component.

THIS, or one of these separately, is what I regard as a "true" american. That and old stock african-americans. So no, to be a real American does not mean exclusively English, but it IS required. Or at least Scottish. I've never seen the U.S. that I consider to really be "america" as anything but that. The other european americans should have assimilated or left, and allowing the formation of their own identity opposed to old-stock americans is probably what really did us in.
    As child back in the 80s I grew up with cowboy and Indian toys and western movies back then my idea of a american was that he is English I didn't know they are mutts but if you say doc holiday or Billie the kid sounds damn English and the face is white often blue eyed like Clint Eastwood

then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Last Online
    05-01-2024 @ 01:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Hero
    Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,078
    Given: 911

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    Maybe not purely genetically but I consider a white looking person with English names and surnames and who's native language is considered English to be more typically American than other cultures someone like a typical country singer
    White looking part makes no sense to me because original Americans were Amerindians. If we go according to race and genetics, Americans of fully East Asian descent should be considered as more American than Americans of European descent simply because East Asians are genetically the closest old world population to Amerindians.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

White looking part makes no sense to me because original Americans were Amerindians. If we go according to race and genetics, Americans of fully East Asian descent should be considered as more American than Americans of European descent simply because East Asians are genetically the closest old world population to Amerindians.
    It is only recently that native Americans are called native Americans before colonials were called native Americans as opposed to the immigrants but natives were not considered Americans but just Indians

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-21-2022 @ 06:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,032
    Given: 1,214

2 Not allowed!

There is no ethnicity that makes you a true American. And no one cares if you're of "English" descent.

Ethnic nationalism doesn't work for the New World because we're all descendants of immigrants(except natives).

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,142
    Given: 9,068

1 Not allowed!

False

Last Online
    05-01-2024 @ 06:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    New World
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    *^
    Politics
    Unconventional
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 938
    Given: 339

1 Not allowed!

No
    peace^*

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,246
    Given: 1,444

1 Not allowed!

One of the members here told me that a good portion of Americans hold this idea but if it is true than it is purely nonsense since America is a land of immigration. In other words if there would be no immigration to America, it would have never existed.
    The question seems makes no sense because the whole point of the American revolution was to break away from England. Americans have no identity other than being a business instead of a real true country (TM).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information