View Poll Results: What exactly is you, your phenotype or your genotype?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • My phenotype.

7 24.14%
  • My genotype.

22 75.86%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is you, your genotype or your phenotype?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,292
    Given: 6,656

2 Not allowed!

Default What exactly is you, your genotype or your phenotype?

What "yourself" do you identify with, with how you are (phenotype) or with what DNA you carry in total (genotype)?

Phenotype does of course not just mean the look, but your whole genetic expression including blood groups, mentality etc. So this question is essentially about whether you include also all your recessive genes in your "ego" or not.

Relevant considerations: If you would live without getting children, there would never be anything else then your phenotype mattering. But if you breed, your phenotype is irrelevant for the outcome and the only thing that matters is your genotype. From this you pass down an arbitrary half. So if you once are dead, only the resuits of your genotype are left (biologically).

A little bit more far fetched, but not impossible, is a broader identification of the "ego". Out of the gentic of our parents we are also an arbitrary selection. Considering this, it could be thought of wanting to ignore this arbitrary result and see onself to not have any other "ego" than to be a respresentative of the gene pool of the parents, of the family or of the own people (own ethnic group, that is the relevant reproductive community).

As for myself I've come to the conclusion that I identify myself with my genotype. This is not just an intellectual thing, but also in line with my feeling. I maybe have to add that I do have children.

Discuss!
    Last edited by rothaer; 12-16-2021 at 07:00 PM.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

0 Not allowed!

Complex question but I might see this little bit differently. Obviously parts of phenotype, looks and even behavior gets passed down to your children. On the other hand genotype in broad sense is less unique. So basically fex. you share your genotype with every German, so if you would have died childless, your genotype still continues to live in close relatives and other Germans.

Maybe this deals with how to EXACTLY define genotype

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Zurückhaltung
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    We will run and scream
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,215
    Given: 4,457

1 Not allowed!

If you count "everything visible" in phenotype, of course its what i am.. There are probably every eye color you can find in my genotype but my eyes are green and thats what makes me different. If you want to identify with genotype, your parents and ancestors, you can go as far as first hominid, and you dont even have to stop, you have all your way through the first life forms.

Dna of course something but you share somethign %90+ with green peas and its like %99 or more similarity with monkeys. And most of the dna are things like protein coding and formulas of chemical reactions.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Fiji
    Y-DNA
    R1A
    mtDNA
    U4
    Taxonomy
    Big headed white man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,412
    Given: 6,925

1 Not allowed!

Interesting question, phenotype comes from genotype, but also can come from a lot of thing that you learned or identify with, as what is your nationality or what are your personal beliefs, or what you have been taught. If people would be 100% instinctual, we could say its phenotype equals genotype. An adopted child can show characteristics of behaviors that he never learnt, but will get other impulses from his environment which is also important factor.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Benyzero View Post
    Interesting question, phenotype comes from genotype, but also can come from a lot of thing that you learned or identify with, as what is your nationality or what are your personal beliefs, or what you have been taught. If people would be 100% instinctual, we could say its phenotype equals genotype. An adopted child can show characteristics of behaviors that he never learnt, but will get other impulses from his environment which is also important factor.
    I now understand that I maybe not expressed completely clearly.

But first to your understanding of my question, i. e. with added education, experiences etc. I understand that this is impoprtant for how we are. But if we compare you today (with all education and all experience) with you when you were 10 years old, this is the same identity, I guess. You would not say: Hey, wait, this with 10 is that different, that's not me anymore! Right?

Back to what I meant. When I said phenotype I still just meant all what is the results of genetics. An example: I have brown eyes. So thats my phenotype eye colour. My genotype eyecolour is brown-blue, i. e. I've one allel for brown and one for blue. After brown is dominant and blue is recessive it expresses as brown in me. When I breed children, some get brown and some get blue eyes. These with blues eyes only get blue eyes, because they inherited my blue allel. And if a child inherits my brown allel, it gets brown eyes. Now, I do not just identify with having brown eyes (phenotype), but with having a blue-brown genotype. So the passed down blue allel is equally "me" as a passed down brown allel, regardless that I have brown eyes if you look into my face. Because what you see if you look into my face is just one expression of me. Another expression of me is what children I do breed. That's not less an expression of mine.
    So it's this what my poll question is about.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,720
    Given: 43,625

3 Not allowed!

I identify with my genotype by far and I think it's much more important and realistic presentation of anyone

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mutt
    Country
    India
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 921
    Given: 1,468

0 Not allowed!

Genotype, this is all that I could potentialy share to children if I could have them. Phenotype is only partly dependent on genetics, it's partly connected with lifestyle or age as well. Lifestyle depends on envinronment we live in and it may change so I wouldn't bond myself which is partly that unstable, genetics is stable phenotype may not. That's how I see it

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    If you count "everything visible" in phenotype, of course its what i am.. There are probably every eye color you can find in my genotype but my eyes are green and thats what makes me different. If you want to identify with genotype, your parents and ancestors, you can go as far as first hominid, and you dont even have to stop, you have all your way through the first life forms.

Dna of course something but you share somethign %90+ with green peas and its like %99 or more similarity with monkeys. And most of the dna are things like protein coding and formulas of chemical reactions.
    As for the latter: Have you thought about that we also are phenotypically 99% like monkeys. It depends on where you mentally put the "zero" similarity. But think about that there must be the genetic information that we at all use oxygen for metabolism. This is not banal for an arbitrary form of life. And we have skin, we have one head and not two or theree, we have two legs and not eight, we have bones and muscles and are not built like a snail or a mussle etc. etc. So if you view it that way, we also phenotypically are 99% resembling a monkey.

"There are probably every eye color you can find in my genotype but my eyes are green and thats what makes me different.":

Your whole genome makes you different and unique. And as for eye colours, your genome will be very precise and cause exactly that eye colour that you do have. But in your genome, you will have two copies for that information and these copies might differ from each other, which just gets visible when you breed (or make a DNA test).

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Companhia dos Leões da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,023
    Given: 16,803

0 Not allowed!

I identify myself as Portuguese. No need to over complicate things.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    I identify with my genotype by far and I think it's much more important and realistic presentation of anyone
    It's thinkworthy that this question likely could not even have been asked 100 years ago due to lack of knowledge.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information