Taxonomy
    Pontid + Alpine/Gorid
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,882
    Given: 8,996

4 Not allowed!

I was personally in a very similar position years ago. Plenty of people told me to enroll in a useful subject, with which I could upon graduating easily find a job and be able to lead an independent life. But I was too nearsighted and thought that any kind of university degree is valuable enough on it's own (what a joke!) and that I should pick the subject I found the most interesting and enjoyable so that I could graduate without putting in too much effort.

Like you I wanted to study history. So years later I have my degree...and nothing to show for it. The irony is that the only silver lining is that I decided not to pursue further education and obtain a master's, like most graduates do. Only the very best student in each generation will be able to work a high end job as a professional historian (such as working as a university professor or in a goverment institute). Thanks to a combination of personal connections, charisma, knowledge and luck a couple more will eventually be able to find permanent jobs as primary or high school teachers. The rest of us are left to fend for themselves. If you ask me, it's a frightening fact that the majority of the people who enrolled around the same time as I did are still unemployed and without any work experience.

I am forced to work a trivial job that doesn't provide enough money for me to be able to move out to my father's old apartment and live alone comfortably. People with an outside perspective will think that I'm not trying hard enough or that I'm simply unfortunate, but most of my former colleagues would be happy to find any job that offers a stable income, regardless of the salary. My own good friend who lives in a village is now by far the most educated people in his immediate family. But what did that get him? Since obtaining a master's degree two years ago he has barely anything to show for it. He had some brief runs as a substitute teacher, but that was only thanks to the covid pandemic which caused many teachers to fall ill and the need for replacements to surge. Ironically the most money he earned was when a cousin of his invited him to work in a meat processing factory in Germany for a week

So it might seem all fun and games when you're so young, but life is far from glamorous. Dream jobs and money don't fall from trees and you shouldn't even expect that your own family will be there to help you find well-paid work. You need to pick a field that's either in demand or verstatile enough to allow you to make a ton of job applications. If you really detest law, you can try economy, IT or even pick a trade as right now there's actually a shortage of skilled craftsmen around the world. IT graduates in particular are highly in demand and even the salaries the companies will offer a beginner for such a job are higher than you'll ever earn as a teacher. It's sad that you're pigeonholed into choosing a select few professions if you want to lead a good life, but that's what the world has come to.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,745
    Given: 9,043

2 Not allowed!

I wouldn’t recommend you studying something where you don’t show any interest, studying a subject which you like can be hard imagine you dont like it, that only would damage your mental health. On the other hand, even you like it, I never would study something which doesn’t guarantee a well paid job or even where you could hardly find a job. I don’t know how the situation in Russia looks like, imo I rather would ask for proposals in Russian platforms where students or experienced people can give a good advice. Maybe history teacher is enough for you(like I said, idk the current situation in Russia, do you guys need teacher?). Tbh, history is not the best choice, I think in most countries.

Last Online
    02-05-2024 @ 11:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slav
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 169

1 Not allowed!

I am writing after 2 years. Going to law school was one of my biggest mistakes. A lawyer is a completely unpromising and boring profession in Russia. On top of everything else, the quality of legal education at my university is extremely low (although this university has a good rating). During my studies, I not only did not acquire any skills, but even lost previously acquired skills and became depressed. It's a pity for the 4 years I spent preparing and studying at the university. Now I will have to retrain for another profession.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Krajina Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric+NeoDanubian
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,384
    Given: 11,434

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    I am writing after 2 years. Going to law school was one of my biggest mistakes. A lawyer is a completely unpromising and boring profession in Russia. On top of everything else, the quality of legal education at my university is extremely low (although this university has a good rating). During my studies, I not only did not acquire any skills, but even lost previously acquired skills and became depressed. It's a pity for the 4 years I spent preparing and studying at the university. Now I will have to retrain for another profession.
    Don't be depressed. Lot of us made wrong choices about choosing university.
    It's life.

Today there is a lot of mobility in the labor market, people can change several different jobs during lifеtime, and find what suit them best, and make progress in carrier.
    It's not like our parents' time.
    🔴🔵⚪

Dušan_scaled
    Distance: 2.0944% / 0.02094437
    60.0 Slavic:RUS_Sunghir_MA
    23.0 Paleobalkanic:MKD_Anc
    17.0 Byzantine:TUR_Marmara_Balikesir_Byz

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Zielstrebigkeit
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    We will run and scream
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,199
    Given: 4,426

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dušan View Post
    Don't be depressed. Lot of us made wrong choices about choosing university.
    It's life.

Today there is a lot of mobility in the labor market, people can change several different jobs during lifеtime, and find what suit them best, and make progress in carrier.
    It's not like our parents' time.
    Definitely, its not end of the road. Today people can even switch profession with help of online education at home. There are countless opportunuties, if you want to do something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information