Thread: How do you think the previous millennium will fade out & this millennium will fade in?

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Default How do you think the previous millennium will fade out & this millennium will fade in?

Happy New Year!

I thought this might make an interesting topic for New Year.

It’s something I’ve long thought about.

I’ve always been a nostalgic person.
    Can anyone relate?

I’m not really sure how to explain this well, so apologies if the message doesn’t really make sense, & would appreciate if others who get it could help me elaborate on this more.

So I’ve long wondered how the previous century & millennium will fade out & how this century & millennium will fade in.
    Socially, culturally, technologically, politically, environmentally etc.

What I’m seeking to do is compare how previous centuries faded away as well as faded in when the century progressed (time got deeper into the century). Especially the previous century, the 20th.

After the first 20 years of a century are past, the century starts to become more distinct socially, culturally, technologically, etc.
    Like the first 2 decades of the 19th & 20th centuries were like a hangover from the previous century, after that the new century started becoming distinct.

Around 10 years ago, it still seemed to be overwhelmingly like the previous century/millennium, but by now this century is starting to become really distinct from the previous century, analogous to how the 1920’s, even late 1910’s, started to make the 20th century distinct from the 19th century.

In the 2000’s, the overwhelming majority of people, culture, technology, infrastructure, social & political stuff, basically anything, was still that of the previous millennium.

Then when 2010 arrived, it was like, we were waiting forever for 2000 to arrive, we’re not just past the millennium, we’ve finally completed the first decade.

In the 2010’s, I think most things & most of the world was still associated with the previous millennium, but things started to get different. The world & things were much more digitalized. Social media was becoming prominent. This is the decade where smartphones, the internet, social media really came into fruition.

By the late years of the 2010’s, people who had no memories of the previous millennium weren’t just babies & toddlers anymore, now they were pre-teens, teenagers & young adults even.

Let’s compare our century to the previous century.

The first decade of the 20th century was an extension of the 19th century, still the Victorian world. Then in the 1910’s, the First World War happened. I think that was the first significant event of the 20th century & the first to set a distinct theme to the new century, I think it effectively ended the Victorian world.
    Airplanes were first widely used in the 1910’s. Then in the 1920’s there was a technological revolution. Cars became common & affordable, before the 1920’s, most people either walked, rode on horses or carriages, & most people still travelled to other countries by ship. I think commercial airplanes started becoming common in the 1920’s as well.

In 1921, insulin was discovered & utilized, one of the most, perhaps the single most, important breakthrough in treating diabetes.
    Before 1921, it was exceptional for people with diabetes to live more than a year or two, it was effectively a death sentence.
    By the 1930’s, was there still really much association & memory with the previous (19th) century?

Was there much nostalgia for the 19th century during the 20th century?

How much did people remember & associate with the 19th century as the 20th century progressed? How did it fade? Was there much nostalgia for the Victorian world?

Can you imagine how people born & raised in the 19th century felt in the early decades, mid century, even late decades of the 20th century?

It must have felt so long ago to them. A similar situation could be awaiting us for this century.

For a cup of nostalgia:

Short video:

https://youtu.be/iFcz8ip66KI

Long video:

https://youtu.be/D2R--yH3OwY

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

As a related question, how do you think this decade (2020’s) will turn out & end?

One thing we can certainly say is that it started with Covid pandemic.

As a related question, how do you think this decade (2020’s) will turn out & end?

One thing we can certainly say is that it started with Covid pandemic.

It usually takes decades the first 2 or 3 years do become distinct from the previous decade, so I think by the end of this year, or by next year, this decade should start to show distinctiveness.
    Last edited by Homo Insapiens; 01-01-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,978
    Given: 6,601

1 Not allowed!

Apart from political shifts, which have been rapid, I've barely noticed the other cultural changes from the 00s to present. They've been very gradual compared the decades of the 20th century, which seemed more distinct. Part of this is probably because there is no distinct mainstream anymore since the 2000s, most people have disdain for what's in the charts, new movies aren't popular, and everybody is doing their own thing. I can barely even think of culture/fashion to define the 2000s, let alone the last shit-show of a decade, or this one. 80s/90s nostalgia is one of the major trends of the last 15 years, which says a lot for how empty our time is.

The late 20th century seems well in the rear view now.

Resident Gadfly
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,095
    Given: 24,273

0 Not allowed!

It's weird how we're two years into the 2020's and it still doesn't feel like this decade has even begun to gain its own cultural identity yet (this decade didn't exactly start great either), it feels like we're in the exact same cultural moment as the late 2010s were.

The only difference really being that we have covid nonsense added on top. The next 8 years will be like the last 5. 2020s are going to be a bad decade. 2030s even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    We GrecoRomansIberians once did the mistake of civilizing these cave-dwellers ,I suggest we make an alliance with muslims to accelerate their takeover
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance12 View Post
    Scandinavia is not Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    It's OK to date girls 16+ they are not children remember the old song 'sweet sixteen'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Whites are often jealous of Blacks for their athleticism, creative talent and sexual prowess.

Thread Information