N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,518
    Given: 24,968

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lenzhka View Post
    Kinda. I did some research with my mother and now we're know more exactly about my maternal origin: Magyars, Saxons, Slovaks & distant Scandinavian

We assume that my father is mostly Bohemian German and even little part Magyar (But we're just guessing)
    Really cool to get some resolution to this mystery, your AncestryDNA result certainly answers a lot of questions. If possible, could you also post your Parental Ethnicity Inheritance report. It's the one that looks like this, this one happens to be mine:

Spoiler!

Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 11:35 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Magyar, Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Kingdom of Hungary, Transylvania, Bohemia
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 92

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Really cool to get some resolution to this mystery, your AncestryDNA result certainly answers a lot of questions. If possible, could you also post your Parental Ethnicity Inheritance report. It's the one that looks like this, this one happens to be mine:

Spoiler!
    Yes of course! Your results are interesting. Is it accurate?

Here's mine
    2022-12-06 (3).png

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Yes of course! Your results are interesting. Is it accurate?

Here's mine
    2022-12-06 (3).png
    Mine happens to be very accurate. My father was of Hungarian descent, and my mother is of German descent, with some British Isles. I can see that my relative matches split to my paternal/maternal sides appropriately, which is an indication of good phasing. But the SideView technology works best the more close relations you have tested - I have my mother, uncle, two first cousins, some second cousins, etc. People with less close relations may lose some accuracy in the phasing, although this deficit could theoretically be made up if one has a high number of matches.

It looks to me that your parents were likely pretty similar. Rothaer's original guess of East German is looking pretty good right now. But as you say, you have found Hungarian and Slovak ancestors so your background is a little more complicated.

Do you get assigned to any Communities?
    Last edited by Mr.G; 12-06-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Magyar, Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Mine happens to be very accurate. My father was of Hungarian descent, and my mother is of German descent, with some British Isles. I can see that my relative matches split to my paternal/maternal sides appropriately, which is an indication of good phasing. But the SideView technology works best the more close relations you have tested - I have my mother, uncle, two first cousins, some second cousins, etc. People with less close relations may lose some accuracy in the phasing, although this deficit could theoretically be made up if one has a high number of matches.

It looks to me that your parents were likely pretty similar. Rothaer's original guess of East German is looking pretty good right now. But as you say, you have found Hungarian and Slovak ancestors so your background is a little more complicated.

Do you get assigned to any Communities?
    Oh that's awesome.
    So it becomes more precise if your family members are tested too. Well makes sense somehow because then more samples are available to the laboratory and estimate / region analysis.

Yeah the communities:
    Parent 1: Southern Midwestern Settlers
    West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers
    Early Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana & East Texas Settlers
    Early Upper South Settlers

Parent 2: Southeast Poland, Slovakia & Hungary

But it's strange to match US Settlers and not the European communities / regions with parent 1.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Oh that's awesome.
    So it becomes more precise if your family members are tested too. Well makes sense somehow because then more samples are available to the laboratory and estimate / region analysis.

Yeah the communities:
    Parent 1: Southern Midwestern Settlers
    West Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee Settlers
    Early Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana & East Texas Settlers
    Early Upper South Settlers

Parent 2: Southeast Poland, Slovakia & Hungary

But it's strange to match US Settlers and not the European communities / regions with parent 1.
    Yes, the parental inheritance (phasing) works because all your matches only match either your paternal side or your maternal side. They can then rebuild your genome with shared segments that only match one side or the other, hence parent 1 and parent 2.

Hmmm, very interesting. Your parent #2 may be your mother, as that is the side you have Magyar ancestry, if I follow you correctly.

Do you personally get any communities in your own ethnicity report?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Magyar, Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes, the parental inheritance (phasing) works because all your matches only match either your paternal side or your maternal side. They can then rebuild your genome with shared segments that only match one side or the other, hence parent 1 and parent 2.

Hmmm, very interesting. Your parent #2 may be your mother, as that is the side you have Magyar ancestry, if I follow you correctly.

Do you personally get any communities in your own ethnicity report?
    May I ask which communities you have been assigned to each parent?

Yes, it can only be the maternal side.
    Unfortunately, no community or connection appeared in the ethnic report directly. How about you?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,292
    Given: 6,656

0 Not allowed!

(...) But the SideView technology works best the more close relations you have tested - I have my mother, uncle, two first cousins, some second cousins (...)
    How do you conclude that?

I just read where they do describe their SideView technology and did not find anything on that. Also, I got my mother tested after I had my SideView results and to my impression nothing changed. But I did not save the earlier result, so I can not really check that.
    My mother is connected with the same tree as me and with the correct individual. In the SideView the halfs are labelled paternal and maternal, but this happened when I was asked to do that manually, if I could and I so did.

Afaik uniquely 23andMe is making a parental phasing in favor of the ancestry composition.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

May I ask which communities you have been assigned to each parent?

Yes, it can only be the maternal side.
    Unfortunately, no community or connection appeared in the ethnic report directly. How about you?
    Here are my parental "common communities":

These are the most common communities of your closest paternal matches.

Northeastern Hungary & Eastern Slovakia
    Southern Poland & Eastern Slovakia
    Slovakia & Hungary

------------------------------

These are the most common communities of your closest maternal matches.

Early Connecticut & New York Settlers
    Munster, Ireland
    New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania Settlers

------------------------------

As far as my personal communities, I only get Cornwall, England. And I do in fact have ancestry from there, so it is correct. My mom scores it too.

Hopefully you will get communities in the future, they can be quite accurate and informative, from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 12-06-2022 at 07:12 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    How do you conclude that?

I just read where they do describe their SideView technology and did not find anything on that. Also, I got my mother tested after I had my SideView results and to my impression nothing changed. But I did not save the earlier result, so I can not really check that.
    My mother is connected with the same tree as me and with the correct individual. In the SideView the halfs are labelled paternal and maternal, but this happened when I was asked to do that manually, if I could and I so did.

Afaik uniquely 23andMe is making a parental phasing in favor of the ancestry composition.
    I'll link you the paper and the specifics later, unfortunately I'm indisposed with work at the moment.

It seems that they will only re-phase the customer database at some kind of interval (once a year?), hence much of the unassigned matches that we all have since the last phase (April? August?):

"Why are some matches unassigned?
    If a match appears in this category, it could be because their test was processed after our last update or because we don't have enough information to assign them to one parent or the other. You may see updates in the future, in which case some unassigned matches may be assigned to a side.
    "

So, maybe with the next phase/update, your mom will be incorporated. If you were in fact phased again after your mother was tested, then it could be that all of your segments were correctly split and assigned, parentally, and adding your mother changed nothing.

---------------------

*UPDATE*

Here is the full paper that describes the method behind SideView: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....487932v1.full

"IBDphase performs better when the genomic database is large, when many IBD segments are discovered in it, when a large proportion of sites overlap at least a few IBD segments, and when there are close genetic relationships to provide long IBD segments and help phase across multiple chromosomes."

I would say that there are no better close relationships than parent-child. So I can't imagine that they would discard a parent-child relationship when they have it at their disposal, to be used for phasing. Nowhere in the paper does it say parents are excluded in the process, although siblings in fact are, because they share dna with both sides of the family and can't be used. Still, it would not totally shock me if parents are not utilized, but goodness that really would be asinine if they're not.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 12-06-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,292
    Given: 6,656

0 Not allowed!

I'll link you the paper and the specifics later, I'm indisposed with work at the moment.

It seems that they only re-phase on intervals, hence all of the unassigned matches since the last phase. So, maybe with the next phase/update, your mom will be incorporated. It also could be that all of your segments were correctly assigned, parentally, and adding your mother changed nothing.
    Yes, please.

And intervals, yes, SideView phases by matching segments with matches and then by overlaping such segments they put it together as hailing from one parent. All this is done without a tested parent.
    Last edited by rothaer; 12-06-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information