View Poll Results: If Europe should have a lingua franca that was NOT English, should it be French, German or Russian?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • French

12 52.17%
  • German

8 34.78%
  • Russian

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Europe should have a lingua franca that was NOT English, should it be French, German or Russian?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,206
    Given: 43,748

0 Not allowed!

Default If Europe should have a lingua franca that was NOT English, should it be French, German or Russian?

What is interesting is that, ever since the EU expanded eastwards in 2004, there has thus been a shift away from French in favour of German as being Europe's second most-learnt/used language after English. As for Russian, needless to say it has collapsed in importance since the break-up of the USSR, but were Russia to become more powerful (economically, militarily and especially culturally) again, would it see a revival in interest elsewhere?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Anyone?

Banned
    Last Online
    08-27-2022 @ 10:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 18

1 Not allowed!

French

This would be the strongest candidate: the only other language to have enjoyed the status of global lingua franca in modern history; still remains the official language of most world organisations; has, by far, the greatest cultural capital; and would be more accessible to Spaniards and Italians who have the lowest levels of English on the continent.

German

I would have to challenge your assertion and say German is firmly in 4th place in terms of foreign languages learned in Europe (plenty of data out there to support this). This is partly due to native German speakers having such high levels of English proficiency.

Those newer EU members in Eastern Europe have far higher levels of English than Spain or Italy.

The idea that, say, a Spaniard and a Finn would use German to communicate with one another seems very far-fetched.

Russian

No chance. English has replaced it as the lingua franca in the Baltics and is well on its way to do the same even in the former SSRs of Central Asia and, especially, the Caucasus. Less said about Ukraine the better.

As for cultural influence, forget it. Russia is in the same boat as Japan; a former world power that faces huge internal pressures from a terminally aging and shrinking population. The only Europeans who would learn either language are those with a niche interest or who plan on living there for an extended period of time.

Conclusion

The reality is that English hasn't even peaked yet in its role of global lingua franca which sounds scary. The internet and, in particular, social media will only cement and deepen its current status. If Europe were to implement a different lingua franca, it would simply be the de jure language with English remaining the de facto language.
    Last edited by miruna99; 01-16-2022 at 05:00 AM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by miruna99 View Post
    French

This would be the strongest candidate: the only other language to have enjoyed the status of global lingua franca in modern history; still remains the official language of most world organisations; has, by far, the greatest cultural capital; and would be more accessible to Spaniards and Italians who have the lowest levels of English on the continent.
    Good points.

German

I would have to challenge your assertion and say German is firmly in 4th place in terms of foreign languages learned in Europe (plenty of data out there to support this). This is partly due to native German speakers having such high levels of English proficiency.

Those newer EU members in Eastern Europe have far higher levels of English than Spain or Italy.

The idea that, say, a Spaniard and a Finn would use German to communicate with one another seems very far-fetched.
    Look up the Eurobarometer surveys, and you'll see that most Accession countries (bar Romania, which has always had a special relationship with France) speak and study German much more than French.

Russian

No chance. English has replaced it as the lingua franca in the Baltics and is well on its way to do the same even in the former SSRs of Central Asia and, especially, the Caucasus. Less said about Ukraine the better.
    The large Russian minorities may have something to say about that, and I thought Russian still has co-official status in many of those countries and is thus learnt even by non-Russians?

As for cultural influence, forget it. Russia is in the same boat as Japan; a former world power that faces huge internal pressures from a terminally aging and shrinking population. The only Europeans who would learn either language are those with a niche interest or who plan on living there for an extended period of time.
    'Terminally ageing and shrinking' are problems throughout the Global North, only that those two are (for now) especially extreme cases.

Conclusion

The reality is that English hasn't even peaked yet in its role of global lingua franca which sounds scary. The internet and, in particular, social media will only cement and deepen its current status. If Europe were to implement a different lingua franca, it would simply be the de jure language with English remaining the de facto language.
    Maybe what you say is true at European level, but globally Spanish, Mandarin and to an extent French (mostly due to Africa) and Arabic are challenging the hegemony of English on the internet and the media.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,423
    Given: 13,135

2 Not allowed!

None of those. Should be Italian, if Europe wants to pay respect to their origins. If they want to be practical though, maybe Swedish.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Midwestern Trash
    Ancestry
    Across Northern Europe with a sprinkle of Med
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    N1b1b, H3(P)
    Hero
    The Christ
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,475
    Given: 5,995

0 Not allowed!

Komi
    "3:16 For YHWH so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.."

#GodWins

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,134
    Given: 9,065

3 Not allowed!

Italiano, best language in the world

Banned
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 11:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mutt
    Country
    India
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 923
    Given: 1,475

0 Not allowed!

So you were basing choice of second lingua franca on what is learnt in schools as second foreign language? This is kind of weird cause students(I am basing only on my point of view and people I know) usually don't focus much on learning second language. Also I was taught Russian and it is not the only case, there are other high schools in my area where you could learn Russian as second foreign language. It's weird you didn't mention Spanish, it's also commonly learnt as it is second most commonly used Indo-European language after English all over the world.

Also if not English then I guess it would be language of world hegemon, English got more widespread when USA got a superpower after WWII. Nowadays it would take much effort to design again versions for codes in other languages than English. What I want to say is that the chance that English will not be lingua franca are very low. In case if really English would not be lingua franca, then it would be sensible to pick a language which is the closest to English, but as the world usualy follows superpowers then there is high chance for Chinese to go through, or maybe it's simplified version like written with Latin alphabet, or even "Chinglish" version.

Out of these three Russian has the least chance since it uses another alphabet

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zohor View Post
    So you were basing choice of second lingua franca on what is learnt in schools as second foreign language? This is kind of weird cause students(I am basing only on my point of view and people I know) usually don't focus much on learning second language.
    That was one criteria but by no means the only one. I was also thinking about population sizes and the prestige (or lack thereof) of countries where different languages are spoken.

It's weird you didn't mention Spanish, it's also commonly learnt as it is second most commonly used Indo-European language after English all over the world.
    In a way, yes, but strictly within Europe it very much takes a backseat compared to both English and the three OP options.

Also if not English then I guess it would be language of world hegemon, English got more widespread when USA got a superpower after WWII. Nowadays it would take much effort to design again versions for codes in other languages than English. What I want to say is that the chance that English will not be lingua franca are very low. In case if really English would not be lingua franca, then it would be sensible to pick a language which is the closest to English, but as the world usualy follows superpowers then there is high chance for Chinese to go through, or maybe it's simplified version like written with Latin alphabet, or even "Chinglish" version.
    Yeah I wonder if people are actually gonna start taking Mandarin seriously?

Out of these three Russian has the least chance since it uses another alphabet
    A banal excuse.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Krajina Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric+NeoDanubian
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,579
    Given: 11,532

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Incal View Post
    None of those. Should be Italian, if Europe wants to pay respect to their origins. If they want to be practical though, maybe Swedish.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    Italiano, best language in the world
    I agree with Italian.
    It is way better than English.

Yet English is better than German and French.
    🔴🔵⚪

Dušan_scaled
    Distance: 2.0944% / 0.02094437
    60.0 Slavic:RUS_Sunghir_MA
    23.0 Paleobalkanic:MKD_Anc
    17.0 Byzantine:TUR_Marmara_Balikesir_Byz

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information