Hero
    Mother Theresa
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,327
    Given: 3,452

4 Not allowed!

They fought and served in most wars. I found around twenty ancestors who fought against the British in the Revolutionary War and the War Of 1812. I found many who fought against the North in the Civil War. My great-grandpa was decorated for bravery in World War I. Most of my grandpas, great-uncles, and their cousins served in different military branches in World War II. My dad, uncles, and their cousins were in the military during the Vietnam War. Some of my cousins and cousins' husbands served during the Gulf War. Sadly, I never served in the military. I almost joined the Marines after one of my girlfriends begged me to enlist with her on the buddy system. I also planned to attend a military academy before my grades nose-dived in my freshman year of high school.

Inactive
    Last Online
    02-18-2017 @ 11:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Hero
    Shkembe Chorba
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,932
    Given: 3,317

4 Not allowed!

My Ukrainian grandfather was conscripted into the Russian Imperial Army under the last Tsar, Nicholas II. He was stationed in St. Petersburg, rode a horse and played a bugle. He also marched in military parades in front of the Winter Palace, where he saw the Tsar and his "beautiful daughters." He lived with my family when I was a small child and he was a very old man. He used to regale us with stories of his homeland.

I still have his military papers. A couple of photos below, including one of the Russian Imperial Two-Headed Eagle stamp. I found out a lot about my Ukrainian family from having this document translated.

Last edited by Marusya; 07-03-2015 at 04:43 AM.

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 10:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic.
    Ethnicity
    Iberian/French/Native.
    Ancestry
    60% Spaniard, 25% French, 15% Native American (Guesstimated)
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Castilla
    mtDNA
    C
    Taxonomy
    "Atlantid/Atlantomediterranid and Cromagnid with a possible Alpinoid tendency".-Agrippa-
    Politics
    Center Left.
    Hero
    Francisco Vazquez de Coronado.
    Religion
    Catholic.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,637
    Given: 12,702

5 Not allowed!

My great great grad father met the emperors of Mexico, Maximilian of Habsburg and Charlotte themselves, they offered him a lot of money for him and his soldiers to join the French Empire and betray the republic, he rejected their offerings and soon after that, he received a letter from Ferdinand Latrille Count if Lorencez himself in which This Count warned him that French forces were going to destroy my Great great grand Pa's forces, he engaged them and got victorious.

The Battle of San Pasqual was a military encounter that occurred during the Mexican-American War in what is now the San Pasqual Valley community of the city of San Diego, California. On December 6 and December 7, 1846, the Californios, and their Presidial Lancers, led by General Don Andres Pico, (1810-1876), defeated Stephen W. Kearny´s US Army column of 150 men.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic.
    Ethnicity
    Iberian/French/Native.
    Ancestry
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Castilla
    mtDNA
    C
    Taxonomy
    "Atlantid/Atlantomediterranid and Cromagnid with a possible Alpinoid tendency".-Agrippa-
    Politics
    Center Left.
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marusya View Post
    My Ukrainian grandfather was conscripted into the Russian Imperial Army under the last Tsar, Nicholas II. He was stationed in St. Petersburg, rode a horse and played a bugle. He also marched in military parades in front of the Winter Palace, where he saw the Tsar and his "beautiful daughters." He lived with my family when I small and he was a very old man. He used to regale us with stories of his homeland.

I still have his military papers. A couple of photos below, including one of the Russian Imperial Two-Headed Eagle stamp. I found out a lot about my Ukrainian family from having this document translated.

One of my uncles used to have some documents and old pictures about my great great grand dad's war actions.

The Battle of San Pasqual was a military encounter that occurred during the Mexican-American War in what is now the San Pasqual Valley community of the city of San Diego, California. On December 6 and December 7, 1846, the Californios, and their Presidial Lancers, led by General Don Andres Pico, (1810-1876), defeated Stephen W. Kearny´s US Army column of 150 men.

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 06:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Colez Biker Gang
    Ethnicity
    Colez Biker Gang
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a2a
    mtDNA
    V
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,075
    Given: 11,797

4 Not allowed!

Battle of Hastings (Unclear what side they fought on)

King Philip's war (Probable though not certain)

Revolutionary war (Patriots)

Civil war (Union)

World War 1 (British)

Last Online
    11-05-2016 @ 09:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic And Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Western Europe, Ancient America, Northern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Kelto-Saxon
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Mother Theresa
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    World War 1 (British)
    Your American ancestors fought in the British armed forces during World War I?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,860
    Given: 7,347

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
    They fought and served in most wars. I found around twenty ancestors who fought against the British in the Revolutionary War and the War Of 1812. I found many who fought against the North in the Civil War. My great-grandpa was decorated for bravery in World War I. Most of my grandpas, great-uncles, and their cousins served in different military branches in World War II. My dad, uncles, and their cousins were in the military during the Vietnam War. Some of my cousins and cousins' husbands served during the Gulf War. Sadly, I never served in the military. I almost joined the Marines after one of my girlfriends begged me to enlist with her on the buddy system. I also planned to attend a military academy before my grades nose-dived in my freshman year of high school.
    Were you a military kid by any chance? You fit the stereotype.

Inactive
    Last Online
    02-18-2017 @ 11:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Hero
    Shkembe Chorba
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,932
    Given: 3,317

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Armand_Duval View Post
    One of my uncles used to have some documents and old pictures about my great great grand dad's war actions.
    You should try to get copies, if possible! I've been collecting photos and documents from both sides of my family for the past few years. I've also been working with a researcher in Ukraine to get more documents. I am now considered the "Family Historian." I'm in the process of organizing the information into a book form. I find family histories very interesting.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic.
    Ethnicity
    Iberian/French/Native.
    Ancestry
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Castilla
    mtDNA
    C
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Center Left.
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholic.
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I was going to start a thread on this subject, but I'll resurrect this one instead. Counting only direct ancestors that I'm aware of:

WWII: My maternal grandfather fought in the Pacific Theater and received a shoulder wound on Okinawa.

Franco-Prussian War: My 3rd-great grandfather Karl Linnemann fought for Prussia.

Civil War: My 2nd-great grandfather George Washington Smith and my 3rd-great grandfather Charles Kyger both fought for the Union, from Indiana and Illinois respectively.

War of 1812: My 4th-great grandfathers John Cromer and John Dunivan both fought for the USA. According to a published genealogy on the Cromer family, John Cromer fought in the Battle of the Thames against Tecumseh and the British.

Revolutionary War: John Cromer, Sr. (father of the above), James Henthorn (6th-great grandfather), and a 6th-great grandfather whose name I don't know participated. The latter "was shot through the breast [and] recovered" according to a county history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    Battle of Hastings (Unclear what side they fought on)

King Philip's war (Probable though not certain)

Revolutionary war (Patriots)

Civil war (Union)

World War 1 (British)
    My great great grad father was considered a local hero and it feels good to descend from someone like him, now imagine you guys with so many dustinguished ancestors in your genealogy!!!.

Last Online
    11-05-2016 @ 09:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic And Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Western Europe, Ancient America, Northern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Kelto-Saxon
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Hero
    Mother Theresa
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Were you a military kid by any chance? You fit the stereotype.
    No, my dad didn't make a career out of it. I have friends and relatives, who are/were military kids, though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information