Thread: What if France won colonial wars in North America

Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,479
    Given: 36,889

1 Not allowed!

Assuming that a French North America would be full of blacks like Haiti is showing big ignorance on history. Amerindians in Haiti were scarce and got extinct when Haiti belonged to Spain, and French were relatively friendly and well behaved with North American Amerndians. Also, French didn't colonized tropical lands (like Haiti), which they only used them like plantation colonies, in the same way as they colonized temperate lands, which they used them more like settlement colonies. Is a similar situation like with British colonies, which were colonized like exploitation/plantation colonies when they were tropical lands, and more like settlement colonies when they were in temperate latitudes.

French, however, were more friendly and respectful with North American Amerindians, in contrast to British colonist who annihilated them. So, in my opinion, a French North America wouldn't be as white as Australia or Canada, but would still be highly French/European, but instead of being mainly only white-European, its population would be like a mix of full/near whites mostly of French descent, Metis (French/Amerindian mixed people in diverse proportions), and a significant minority of full/near full Amerindians. It would be like a French version of a Latin American country with many Euro/Amerindian mixed people, but also a high degree of Euro ancestry. Like a northern and French version of the southern cone, so to speak.

Edit: forgot to add that the current population of the eastern coast would probably be an Anglo/French mix, and with strong catholic presence, but also many protestants who would have resisted from converting to Catholicism.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,640
    Given: 10,350

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Piotraschke View Post
    Blah blah blah
    Did you forget what your original claim was? 25% of NZ children were Maori. I explained that Statistics NZ plays it loose with the figures for Maori. You then used Statistics NZ figures that even with their gaming of the numbers, shows a meagre .3 to.4% difference between the Europeans and Maori. There are roughly 3.3+ million Europeans and "500,000 to 700,000" Maori. Do the maths.
    Last edited by frankhammer; 01-26-2022 at 06:26 AM.
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-15-2024 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,923
    Given: 18,998

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    Huge is an exaggeration to refer to the Amerindian population
    I just calculated it (adding up individual tribes) and there were for sure over 1 million Amerindians in French Louisiana in the 1700s.

This includes tribes within pre-1763 borders of Louisiana (so also areas east of the Mississippi), and in the west up to Spanish lands.

The population density of Amerindians in that area was about 0.25 - 0.3 people per square km (so one Indian per 4 or 3 square km).

French colonial population (white French + black slaves) was only about 1300 in year 1702, and increased to 19 thousand in 1763.

In 1763 France lost eastern Louisiana (part east of the Mississippi), but western Louisiana had 67 thousand whites & blacks in 1803.

Last Online
    12-10-2022 @ 12:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Austrian/German
    Country
    Austria
    Politics
    uncertain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 443
    Given: 416

1 Not allowed!

I think it depends, if natives would also more readily adopt european farming techniques, animal herding, metallurgy and efficiency, very early they could grow very strongly in numbers. What i wonder, if we assume natives would have adapted better, faced less killing and also converted to christianity, and maybe eventually became independent from Mainland France, would white people have come in masses at all? for what reasons? Would they mixe with the natives? Would they stay among themselves and their culture or adapt indigenous culture elements over time. So i think that plays a role too if they stay connected to france for long time or if the france dont manage to colonize it even because native numbers grew too high.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information