Taxonomy
    North Pontid + Baltid
    Politics
    I support Waldemar Tomaszewski
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Majority modern Anglo- Saxons are germanized Celts! They are different than pure germanics nations from Scandinavia! You should look at this maps!

Ancient Celtic tribes:

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

All the most successful societies are Germanic-Celtic hybrids. This includes all the nations of the British Isles, plus Iceland, and also, now, includes places such as Australia.

Why this particular hybrid is such a successful one is an interesting discussion in itself.

Last Online
    03-24-2012 @ 01:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    degenerate and infantile cromagnid
    Ethnicity
    highborn alpinid
    Ancestry
    götatyps from Atlantis
    Taxonomy
    the master race: alpinid
    Politics
    green libertarian tribal chauvinism
    Religion
    natalieportmanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Scots are a prae-IE population invaded by many IE wave (celts, romans, west-germanics, north-germanics). But they lost their ancient pre-IE languege.

Quote Originally Posted by Redar14 View Post
    This map is a romantic-nationalist carp coz the celts never make an empire. They settled many location of Europe (and Asia!) but they never create coherent territory. I guess in many places of Europe survived the pre-IE languages till the roman or the germanic/slavic conquer. By the way the basque survive till nowadays...

Banned
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Agder
    Politics
    Feelgood Nationalism
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    This of course doesn't include the Anglo Scandinavians which raped and pillaged Scotland in the late 900s,
    What's an Anglo Scandinavian???

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    You follow yours...I follow none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,676
    Given: 12,354

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
    What's an Anglo Scandinavian???
    A good question, because I've never heard that term before.

As far as the OP:
    In my personal opinion, based on what I understand about history of the British Isles/Ireland in general, and on the research I've done over the years, I believe all of those lands to have had significant Germanic/Norse influence. The Angles/Saxons/Jutes were among the first wave of Germanic invaders who intermingled with the Native Britons/Celts/Picts already living there during about the 5th century or thereabouts. Though the heaviest influence might have been in what is now England, I can only imagine they went all over the island(s).

Then came the Vikings in about the 8-9th centuries. They also invaded those lands at numerous entry points all over. Many of the Vikings remained behind and also intermarried with the CeltoGermanics (descendants of the earlier invasions) already living there.

Then the Normans came...who were of Viking/French ancestry and THEY settled there and mixed in with the natives.

This sort of thing happened all over the Isles. Thus, it seems to me that the British Isles in general are probably about equal parts CeltoGermanic I include Norse under the umbrella term of Germanic...but if we wish to get technical....the British Isles are generally Breton (think Beaker peoples)/Celtic/Germanic/Norse

Just my understanding of it all. It's no wonder I'm so confused about my own ancestry....I have ancestry in all four nations of the Isles.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Agder
    Politics
    Feelgood Nationalism
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    All the most successful societies are Germanic-Celtic hybrids. This includes all the nations of the British Isles, plus Iceland, and also, now, includes places such as Australia.

Why this particular hybrid is such a successful one is an interesting discussion in itself.
    Yet, we Scandinavians still had an empire centuries before you English.

Last Online
    12-20-2011 @ 06:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aquitani (Iberian) and Romance (Italic), with Greek (Hellenic) influences
    Ethnicity
    Homo Latinus
    Ancestry
    Gascony and Languedoc (3/4), various Italics from Provence to Campania (1/4)
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Naciounalisto Prouvençau anti-Oucitan e pro-Catalan
    Religion
    Pagan (Hellenisto)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Scots are British. They descend from the Picts (Iberians) and Gaels (Irish).
    In fact "Celtic" doesn't mean anything. But I think that Scots aren't Germanic. Sure, Lowlands have a Germanic languages (Scots), and of course, majority of Scots speak English, but it doesn't mean that they're Germanics.
    Prouvençau e Marsihés

Banned
    Last Online
    02-13-2012 @ 05:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Român
    Ancestry
    Roman Empire, Roman Dacia.
    Country
    Romania
    Taxonomy
    Alpine mediterranean
    Politics
    Impaling n00bs
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Yes,I consider them Germanic.

Also the language of most of the Scots is Germanic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language

A Scottish Government study (2010) found that 85% of respondents (being a representative sample of Scotland's adult population) claim to speak Scots to varying degrees
    @Sylvanus +1

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Haaaaaaa
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

Nothing to do with Germanic sorry, But if you go far back you would find that they are Celtic. Not just that but Ireland and Scotland are one in the same, as in a people i mean. Although many centuries has passed that today they are totally different cultures, and as such are now two different people (i.e.) Irish and Scottish....

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Agder
    Politics
    Feelgood Nationalism
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by byrnecres View Post
    A good question, because I've never heard that term before.

As far as the OP:
    In my personal opinion, based on what I understand about history of the British Isles/Ireland in general, and on the research I've done over the years, I believe all of those lands to have had significant Germanic/Norse influence. The Angles/Saxons/Jutes were among the first wave of Germanic invaders who intermingled with the Native Britons/Celts/Picts already living there during about the 5th century or thereabouts. Though the heaviest influence might have been in what is now England, I can only imagine they went all over the island(s).

Then came the Vikings in about the 8-9th centuries. They also invaded those lands at numerous entry points all over. Many of the Vikings remained behind and also intermarried with the CeltoGermanics (descendants of the earlier invasions) already living there.

Then the Normans came...who were of Viking/French ancestry and THEY settled there and mixed in with the natives.

This sort of thing happened all over the Isles. Thus, it seems to me that the British Isles in general are probably about equal parts CeltoGermanic I include Norse under the umbrella term of Germanic...but if we wish to get technical....the British Isles are generally Breton (think Beaker peoples)/Celtic/Germanic/Norse

Just my understanding of it all. It's no wonder I'm so confused about my own ancestry....I have ancestry in all four nations of the Isles.
    Yes, the Angles, Saxons and Jutes came first, and for some reason we today put Angles and Saxons into one "pot" and call them Anglo-Saxons. But I digress! They stayed and intermarried with each other and with the Celts.

The Norse first came as invaders, stealing whatever there was of worth, and taking Celtic (and probably Anglian, Saxon and Jutish) women with them home. However, later on many Norse settled down as farmers in the British isles and married local women, and some brought their entire families with them, who then grew up and married locals.

The Normans came in 1066, in a third "Germanic wave" over the British isles. The Franks were once a Germanic people, although they were later mixed with the neighbouring Celts. I don't know how mixed thy were in 1066 though. Anyway, they too settled down and intermarried.

Anyway, I've been told that in the Scottish lowlands you'll find heavy Germanic admixture, just as you will in England. The Scottish highlands, Ireland and Wales might be different. The Scots dialects (not to be confused with Gaelic) are Germanic in origin.

[YOUTUBE]RAfX-HTs12U[/YOUTUBE]

Some of the words in the above clip sounds like modern Dutch. The word "hoose" also sounds like Norwegian "hus". In this dialect (Doric Scots), they say "reicht" , meaning "real", and "reicht" looks and sounds very German ("recht" means "right" in German). They say "lauchen" for "laugh", which is very similar to German "lachen" ("laugh"). There's "bothie", meaning "mall house", which resembles Norwegian "bod", which is a small storage space. There are several Scots words that I as a Norwegian recognise.
    Last edited by Hevneren; 11-03-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information