Pennsylvania
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 918

1 Not allowed!

Default Tell me about Hungary.

Do you enjoy living in Hungary? Why or why not?

What is the Hungarian higher education system like? Are your universities regarded as prestigious and/or competitive in the broader scope of European education?

Do you prefer the urban areas or countryside, and why?

How is the cost of living (particularly in Budapest)? Which careers are the most financially lucrative?

Where do Hungarians holiday in winter? How about summer? Is skiing a popular winter pastime in your country?

Is the Hungarian language regarded as difficult to learn by foreigners? What're your thoughts on this?

Do you support Orbán, and do you consider the romanticization of his policies by foreign conservatives to be warranted? Certain American conservatives, for instance, seem to have become enamored with Hungary and consider it to be Central Europe's last bastion of conservative sociopolitical values.

Do you plan to move abroad in the future, or are you planning to remain in Hungary? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance, guys (and Blondie). I am very curious about your country - it seems like a swell place to visit.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,023
    Given: 12,251

1 Not allowed!

"Guys" can refer to a group consisting of males and females.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 07:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,237
    Given: 7,503

2 Not allowed!

Hungarians are specific people, I have experience with Vojvodina Hungarians in Serbia. Urban ones (for example, city of Novi Sad) are totally cool and friendly people, rural ones behave a bit like aliens who live in a parallel World, like you don't exist at all. It does not bother me, just one of facts. Hungarian girls are hot imo. I had a Hungarian neighbour in Serbia, nice person, a pro byciclist and one girl, a friend, sweet person of good mentality, both in Novi Sad. I feel like Hungarians are generally more closed and less emotional people than, for example, Serbs, but still very special, something non-understandable to non-Hungarian mentality.

Last Online
    04-22-2022 @ 02:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 918

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    "Guys" can refer to a group consisting of males and females.
    What're your thoughts on Hungary, Mr. Universe?

Senior Member Rostos vilmoskörte's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 09:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Magyar khanate
    Ethnicity
    Mix
    Ancestry
    North South East
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 30

0 Not allowed!

I don't know what you mean by countryside? i like smaller cities more than Budapest.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,023
    Given: 12,251

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    Do you enjoy living in Hungary? Why or why not?

What is the Hungarian higher education system like? Are your universities regarded as prestigious and/or competitive in the broader scope of European education?

Do you prefer the urban areas or countryside, and why?

How is the cost of living (particularly in Budapest)? Which careers are the most financially lucrative?

Where do Hungarians holiday in winter? How about summer? Is skiing a popular winter pastime in your country?

Is the Hungarian language regarded as difficult to learn by foreigners? What're your thoughts on this?

Do you support Orbán, and do you consider the romanticization of his policies by foreign conservatives to be warranted? Certain American conservatives, for instance, seem to have become enamored with Hungary and consider it to be Central Europe's last bastion of conservative sociopolitical values.

Do you plan to move abroad in the future, or are you planning to remain in Hungary? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance, guys (and Blondie). I am very curious about your country - it seems like a swell place to visit.
    Top hungarian universities are OK. I think they could compete with many western Universities. Despite that, they don't necessarily have good reputation. I heard that Eastern European university degrees are considered a joke in USA even if they give you real knowledge. You can ask "Karol Klačansky" about this, he's a member here. He said he decided to do a university in Austria because with an Austrian degree he can get a job in USA in case he moves back, with a Slovakian he couldn't.

Hungary is an "OK" country to live, depending on what your goal is. If you want to make money as a "working class" person (ie people who aren't business owners etc) then it's not the country for you unless you are good at IT(sofware development) or something. Low-tier software developers don't earn well, my friend who's a "low tier software developer" works in Budapest and earns only 300k HUF a month, his 25 square meter apartment costs 100k a month. So I don't see that as a good salary. There are blue collar workers in the countryside who earn the same amount.

It's a worse country to live than Western countries but better than 3rd world. According to this article, in 2019 40% of hungarians couldn't afford to go on a vacation (they had many of days off, they just couldn't afford to travel). On the other hand many hungarians travel to Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus etc for summer vacations. Some hungarians do ski but it's not too popular. There are some lame/mediocre ski resorts in Hungary, if a hungarian has money and wants to have a good place to ski/snowboard he will travel to Austria or Slovakia, some even travel to North Italy, France etc.

I have considered living abroad, but at the moment I want to stay here. I will see what happens in the future. Why have I considered living abroad? The reason is simple, for the same job you earn more money in western countries (even after taking cost of living into account).

I think Hungary can be a good and bad place to live depending on what you make of it as an individual.
    Last edited by Universe; 02-12-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Thread Information