Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beauty of the town/city/region you are proud!

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

4 Not allowed!

My Island this winter.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

5 Not allowed!

My Island village (more pics)

Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,147
    Given: 7,428

2 Not allowed!

I live there, I was born there and spent years there, Izmailovo district, eastern outskirts of Moscow. You may say it's not beautiful (it is) but you can't deny it's damn green.

Last edited by Victor; 02-18-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-26-2022 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unique
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    R-M222
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,345
    Given: 9,352

1 Not allowed!

once I had a dream, and in that dream the hell was green and the main devil had gray hair, and was in white clothes

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,730
    Given: 5,555

0 Not allowed!

Some pics of my native Sevastopol (from 2016).
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Caeli View Post
    I live there, I was born there and spent years there, Izmailovo district, eastern outskirts of Moscow. You may say it's not beautiful (it is) but you can't deny it's damn green.
    Отличный район, на мой взгляд, лучший на востоке. Парк, сталинки, зелень во дворах, трамваи, квадратно-гнездовая планировка, отсутствие промзон и железных дорог, удобно ехать до центра. Но это всё относится к тому Измайлово, что ниже Сиреневого и до парка. Прилегающая к Щёлковскому шоссе часть и Гольяново уже сильно хуже.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-17-2023 @ 05:21 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 122

0 Not allowed!

People, insert some text giving some historical information of the people who were born or lived there and history of your selected town/city/region like I did here. Can have more information like what are the typical dishes of the town, which are their local products, handicraft, culture, etc.
    There are in other places threads just to show pictures of where you were born or live.

Example:

Quote Originally Posted by solarisregvm View Post
    This is mine!

Inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the various archaeological finds, including the Megalithic Nucleus of Mezio, the village located in a valley crossed by the River Vez retains all the charm that characterizes the Alto Minho - verdant landscapes and traditional architecture in that stand out the Manor houses.

Part of the municipality of Arcos de Valdevez is part of the Peneda-Geręs National Park, where nature retains all its original charm and hides community villages such as Soajo, where the populations maintain their ancestral uses and customs.

Arcos de Valdevez is one of the four municipalities that make up the Lima Valley. In this region, touring the Giants Route is a way of getting to know the places where four great historical figures were born who took Portugal to the four corners of the world.

Fernăo de Magalhăes (*Ferdinand Magellan), the Navigator, from Ponte da Barca, commanded the first circumnavigation voyage proving that the Earth is round. In Ponte de Lima Blessed Francisco Pacheco (The Saint) was born, Messenger of the Society of Jesus and one of the first Jesuit missionaries in Japan. Joăo Alvares Fagundes (the Discoverer), from Viana do Castelo, explored and discovered Newfoundland in the North Atlantic, important cod fishing area. Originally from Arcos de Valdevez was Father Himalaya, the inventor, scientific scholar of renewable energies who represented Portugal at the Universal Exposition in St. Louis, in the United States.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

This is a really beautiful town in the same region where I was born:

Ponte de Lima is a beautiful picture-book town located besides the Lima River. It is surrounded by a valley crowded with quintas and palaces, many of them dedicated to the “habitaçăo” tourism (renting houses). It has ~ 5100 inhabitants and the entire municipality has ~ 42000 inhabitants.

The Queen Dńa. Teresa awarded, in 1125, the “foral letter” (charter of rights) to this population; and D. Pedro I protected it with walls, from which some pieces still exist, towers, and ogive arches doors.

Ponte de Lima comes back to life on weekends thanks to the massive arrival of national tourists. Also, on alternate Mondays the huge market is held by the river.

Its main monument is the 280 metres long bridge, considered one the most beautiful medieval bridges in Portugal. Nowadays, it still has a reduced part with five Roman arches, but the rest of the bridge is from the 14th century, since it had to be enlarged during that time due to a change in the course of the river.

In front of it stands the Largo de Camőes with a beautiful 1603 fountain, work by Joăo Lopes o Moço.

On its Medieval stretch with stone paved streets you will find numerous emblazoned houses and common ones covered with tiles houses. The Alcaidaria, the former Palácio dos Marqueses de Ponte de Lima Palace (15th century) preserves its Manueline windows. Stand out in the city the Casa de Nossa Senhora Aurora House (18th century) and the houses Dos Calistos and Dos Garrida, the last one of Rocaille style.

As regards its religious heritage, it is worth visiting the Parish Church, dating from the 15th century with a ogive arch arcade; the Igreja da Misericórdia Church, from the 16th and 18th centuries; the Igreja de Santo António dos Frades Church, sacristy of which is covered with blue tiles dating between the 16th and 18th centuries; and the Igreja da Ordem Terceira de Săo Francisco, 18th century work.

On the other side of the bridge stands the Igreja de Santo António da Torre Velha Church, of late baroque style and the Capela do Anjo da Guarda Chapel (13th century), of Gothic style.

Regarding festivities and celebrations, the Vacas da Cordas and Corpus Christi festivities are worth to mark in the calendar. In these celebrations, there is a kind of bullfight and religious procession which takes place in the ninth Wednesday after Easter.

More important dates are the Feiras do Cavalo (on the third week of june), which is an important equestrian fair; and the Feiras Novas, one of the oldest festivities in Portugal (it is celebrated since 1125). It lasts for three days on the third week of September with a huge market and a fairground by the river, where you can enjoy folklore dancings, fireworks, concerts, etc.

The legend of Lethes river – Ponte de Lima

By the Lima river on both right and left sides, we can see a monument referring to the legend of Lethes river, the old name of the Lima river (referring to the river crossing by Décio Juno Bruto, commander of the Roman legions, with his soldiers).
    According to the legend, Décio Juno Bruto and his soldiers reached the banks of a river. When looking at the wonderful landscape, as well as the calm and purity of the waters, the soldiers thought they were near the Lethes river, known as the river of the oblivion. The legend says that any one who crosses that river, would lose his memory entirely and would never remember his family nor his nation again.
    The intrepid commander Décio Bruto searched a safe place where his soldiers could cross the river without danger and ordered them to start the river crossing.
    The soldiers feared the powers of the river and refused to do the crossing. In a impulse, Décimo Júnio Bruto took out the flag of the Legion from the soldier who carried it, rode his horse and entered in the river, determined, in front of his terrified soldiers.
    The commander arrived on the other side of the river and called his soldiers by their names, one by one, proving that he had not lost his memory and that the legend was not true.
    The soldiers were eventually convinced and crossed the Lima river and continued their walk to the glory. Décimo Júnio Bruto has become part of the history with the surname of “Galician”, for being the conquerer of what is today Galicia.

Parque do Arnado

Opposite to the town's river bank is located this thematic garden, which allows to take a journey through the art history of the gardens, whose roots are deeply linked to rural culture. For the realization of the art history of the gardens, the Roman period was chosen, given the cultural influences still well present in the village of Ponte de Lima; the Renaissance garden and the Baroque garden, the visitor can still "get lost" in a labyrinth, which appears in Western culture from Greek mythology and always remains as an element of composition of the gardens through the centuries.

Garden International Festival

The International Garden Festival is an annual event that opens its doors to the public on the last Friday of May and closes on October 31. Between November and May, the gardens are dismantled and the new edition is prepared with all the hustle and bustle of construction.

The selection of gardens is carried out by a Jury and takes place after an international competition. Anyone can apply regardless of age, profession or nationality. What is important is the creativity of the authors and the expression of innovative ideas.

It won the 2013 International Garden Festival of the Year award under the Garden Tourism Awards, as part of the international event "2013 North American Garden Tourism Conference", in Toronto – Canada.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

A place of harmony, beauty, peace and nature. A fairytale that some of you might need.
    The environment where you live has influence on your state of mind and some cases I see here is directly correlated.

Last Online
    04-22-2022 @ 02:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 918

2 Not allowed!

Quite nearly in my parents’ backyard. Spent a considerable portion of my youth wandering through the wonder that is Valley Forge:

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Yaksha
    Country
    India
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 60

1 Not allowed!

Well not sure it would be proper to say that '47 was a blessing in disguise in this regard , but I'd say the region is rather unusually integral of me .

People, insert some text giving some historical information of the people who were born or lived there and history of your selected town/city/region like I did here. Can have more information like what are the typical dishes of the town, which are their local products, handicraft, culture, etc.
    There are in other places threads just to show pictures of where you were born or live
    Spoiler!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information