Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Ancestry results - I can't recommend it!

Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ethnicity
    Mińsk Mazowiecki
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 7

2 Not allowed!

Default My Ancestry results - I can't recommend it!

I changend 1 word to "origins" and saw my results earlier.
    According to Ancerty I'm 99% Eastern European and 1% Jewish
    What a shit, totally inaccurate.

Maybe I can be the only person who hate own results but I'm convinced that my results are highly inaccurate.

Don't recommend this company!

Not even a member
    Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 10:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,591
    Given: 8,909

0 Not allowed!

Aren't you purely Polish from the last few generations? And the 1 percent is just noize, bro

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

4 Not allowed!

what are you talking about? Ancestry has best raw data on the market, you should be happy you will get top notch raw data file now.
    Their EE is based on modern people like Poles so I don't know what you expected there - genetic communites are much more interesting. What do you get there?

As for 1% Jewish, it's likely real. Ancestry is very reliable about AJ ancestry and there is noise level AJ signal widely present among ethnic Poles.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    And the 1 percent is just noize, bro
    No, it is not. Ancestry isn't myheritage, if you score 1% AJ there it means you highly likely have it. Nothing strange for a Pole to score, tons of them have it.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ethnicity
    Mińsk Mazowiecki
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    No, it is not. Ancestry isn't myheritage, if you score 1% AJ there it means you highly likely have it. Nothing strange for a Pole to score, tons of them have it.
    Of course, Eastern Europe should be majority, I agree. But I have confirmed German ancestry 4 generations ago + very possible admixture from Caucasus. Based on K13 and other calcs I thought I can have also some French ancestry. 99 % Eastern Europe is for me weird, it's too much.
    I can believe that if they give European Jew they are sure. But 1% can be 6 generations ago and I'm 100% sure I don't have Jewish Ancestry because I know my family tree very well. It was a big surprise.
    I know they have very good raw dna data. I'm wondering what should I do with that file. Maybe I should have merged file from Ancestry and MyHeritage and try Gedmatch and Advanced Analysis from Yourdnaportal.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,011
    Given: 12,243

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mariusz99 View Post
    Of course, Eastern Europe should be majority, I agree. But I have confirmed German ancestry 4 generations ago + very possible admixture from Caucasus. Based on K13 and other calcs I thought I can have also some French ancestry. 99 % Eastern Europe is for me weird, it's too much.
    I can believe that if they give European Jew they are sure. But 1% can be 6 generations ago and I'm 100% sure I don't have Jewish Ancestry because I know my family tree very well. It was a big surprise.
    I know they have very good raw dna data. I'm wondering what should I do with that file. Maybe I should have merged file from Ancestry and MyHeritage and try Gedmatch and Advanced Analysis from Yourdnaportal.
    1 ancestor 4 generations ago means you are 6.25% German, but that doesn't necessarily mean you inherited 6.25% German dna. Inheritance is a bit random you could've inherited 8% from him or 3%.
    And 6.25% German ancestry will mean you're still comfortably within the Polish cluster. Some ethnic Poles have more German ancestry than you, and these German admixed Poles could've been used to create the Polish/Eastern Europe reference population.
    But anyway ancestry breakdown of commercial tests are a joke unless you are ashkenazi jewish or mixed race. I don't understand why people bother with them especially on a forum like this. Gedmatch/Vahaduo>commercial dna test ancestry breakdown.
    But 1% can be 6 generations ago and I'm 100% sure I don't have Jewish Ancestry because I know my family tree very well. It was a big surprise.
    Not necessarily 6, 1% can also mean a 100% ashkenazi jewish ancestor 7 generations ago, but that needn't to be the case. Your ancestors could have been multigenerational mixes of Jews and Poles. You could have had 5 ancestors with 1/8 Jewish ancesty out of your 128 ancestors (7 generations ago).

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mariusz99 View Post
    I am 1/8 German and I score only 4% Germanic Europe on ancestry (on 23andme too). Lot of it depends on random inheritance. Polish samples used for EE reference could already have some Germanic, we don't know that.

You can have many Polish ancestors with extremely minor AJ score (and this is very widespread among Poles), so it does not need to show in family tree at all, especially not in case of converts for eg. What I am saying is that Ancestry does not assign Jewish randomly like myheritage does. They are reliable when it comes to that.

I don't know how tiny is your Caucasus admixture but I have very distant Greek ancestry and score zero of it everywhere. Such small admixtures can easily be lost in recombinations.

Yes, you should create merged raw data kit. I did too. But already stand alone Ancestry raw data file will be lot more precise than that of myheritage.

And you shoud check your genetic communities.

Last Online
    10-05-2022 @ 05:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    OTHERS_D
    Ethnicity
    Polish/Slovak/Hungarian Romani/Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Essentially Austro-Hungary
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Joseph Conrad
    Religion
    Down-votes from Loki
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,057
    Given: 3,213

0 Not allowed!

Ancestry is the worst unless you're purely NW Euro. But then it doesn't even seem to be able to differentiate German from English. Crap. Like any calculator, it's success is completely dependent upon the customer's likelihood of falling into whatever category its algorithm is determining.
    PuntDNAl k15
    Mother: Polish + Norwegian + Austrian + French @ 0.923102
    Father: Karelian + Polish + Romani + Mozabite_Berber @ 5.277415
    Me: Lithuanian + Mordovian + Bosnian + Spaniard @ 2.190271
    MDLP World
    Mother: 85.80% German_V + 14.20% Russian @ 1
    Father: 73.10% Croatian_V + 26.90% Roma @ 4.65
    Me: 94.70% Croatian_V + 5.30% Roma @ 1.61

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    Ancestry is the worst unless you're purely NW Euro
    lol

Ancestry is miles ahead of companies like Myheritage or FTDNA, not to mention it has largest database of all companies.
    Only 23andme is better than them in ancestry composition, but their raw data quality is incomparably worse and they offer smaller database.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    1 ancestor 4 generations ago means you are 6.25% German, but that doesn't necessarily mean you inherited 6.25% German dna. Inheritance is a bit random you could've inherited 8% from him or 3%.
    Yup. Especially if his German is Polish/eastern German. Germans like rothaer score like 40% eastern european on commercial tests.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information