Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

3 Not allowed!

I would say Slovaks are more of organic ethno-identity (based on shared ancestry) while Hungarians are more of civic identity (like French). Slovak can easily become Hungarian, vice-versa too I guess but that is less usual.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,022
    Given: 12,251

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    I would say Slovaks are more of organic ethno-identity (based on shared ancestry) while Hungarians are more of civic identity (like French). Slovak can easily become Hungarian, vice-versa too I guess but that is less usual.
    I am not sure about that.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,765

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    (...)
    I agree to that the question of ethnicity in this case of very closely related populations will eventually be decided by what langauge will be traditionally used. Over generations new traditions can be established and the ethnicity can be changed.

As a general take I'd like to say this: You as a single individual can not change your ethnicity, but you can influence the further development. Depending on the exact circumstances you may be able to influence what your children and grandchildren will ethnically be. I view ethnicity as something that is stable in a single individual, but what may change over generations.

I'll not deny that someone can change how he defines himself ethnically. But this can not be obligating for how others see him. In contrast to what is sometimes said an ethnic belonging is not just a personal decision. And as far as it also emotionally shall obligate others, it can of course not be just a personal decision. It must also be the view of the others.

Someone can say he does not agree and doesn't care about what I describe. Okay. But then he will not experience the full scale content of an ethnicity including the everlasting orientation and recognition of unchangable belonging. Because it's essentially the aspect of unchangeability that makes the ethnicity a trustworthy and reliable aspect to others. Something that can be changed by someone just changing his mind can never expect the same level of importance.
    Last edited by rothaer; 02-28-2022 at 02:14 PM.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,022
    Given: 12,251

1 Not allowed!

Im actually very proud of my Hungarian side and I dont identify as Slovak ethnic wise.
    Also my ethnicity in the papers note that Im actually Hungarian. So In Slovak census I drop down to Hungarian minority.
    I know, I'm just kidding.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    I am not sure about that.
    why not?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,765

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    And less easy, I'd guess. I agree to your statement.

This puts up an interesting question: Are there generally different conditions for belonging to different ethnicities? I'd not strictly project my views onto foreign ethnicities, but instead kind of interview people involved. Answers would have to be cleansed from "political correctness". It's about people's true views.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,531
    Given: 24,991

2 Not allowed!

Im actually very proud of my Hungarian side and I dont identify as Slovak ethnic wise.
    Also my ethnicity in the papers note that Im actually Hungarian. So In Slovak census I drop down to Hungarian minority.
    Nevertheless Jan Slota is one of funniest politicians ever XD He has hatred towards Hungarians but if you've heard his other quotes about other politicians you would burst out laugh xd
    I was just gonna ask what you felt in your heart.. I see you already answered my question in the above quote.

Now, from a technical side of things, let's consider your autosomal results. You plot somewhat southern for your mix don't you? That may indicate that your mother's side has a healthy amount of southern admixture. Using Feiichy's SE European calculator I see that the Hungarian average is a bit more southern than Slovak (no surprise).

------------------

Target: Slovak
    Distance: 23.7523% / 0.23752348
    67.0 Slavic
    16.6 Paleo_Balkan_&_Roman
    16.4 Germanic

Target: Hungarian
    Distance: 3.6716% / 0.03671600
    55.8 Slavic
    24.2 Paleo_Balkan_&_Roman
    18.8 Germanic
    1.2 Turkic

------------------

Here is how you are split using your ancestry in the source (Eurogenes K13). Now, if your father is close to the Albanian average, then the Hungarian average offers a little better balance of your ancestry.

Target: Maestro(Hungarian-Albanian)
    Distance: 392.9516% / 3.92951565
    60.2 Albanian
    39.8 Slovak

Distance: 440.0941% / 4.40094072
    52.4 Albanian
    47.6 Hungarian

--------------------

Of course this is a very simplistic overview, we could examine across various calculators for a more thorough assessment, but I see nothing here to invalidate a deep Hungarian ancestry for you.

Conclusions:

TheMaestro

In his heart: Hungarian
    In his autosomal: You be the judge

Sincerely,

Uncle G

TA fisherman association TheMaestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Fisherman remnant
    Country
    South Africa
    Region
    Texas
    Politics
    Reformed Centrist
    Hero
    Mr. G, Donald Trump
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,142
    Given: 9,067

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I was just gonna ask what you felt in your heart.. I see you already answered my question in the above quote.

Now, from a technical side of things, let's consider your autosomal results. You plot somewhat southern for your mix don't you? That may indicate that your mother's side has a healthy amount of southern admixture. Using Feiichy's SE European calculator I see that the Hungarian average is a bit more southern than Slovak (no surprise).

------------------

67.0 Slavic
    16.4 Germanic

55.8 Slavic
    18.8 Germanic
    1.2 Turkic

------------------

Here is how you are split using your ancestry in the source (Eurogenes K13). Now, if your father is close to the Albanian average, then the Hungarian average offers a little better balance of your ancestry.

60.2 Albanian
    39.8 Slovak

52.4 Albanian
    47.6 Hungarian

--------------------

Of course this is a very simplistic overview, we could examine across various calculators for a more thorough assessment, but I see nothing here to invalidate a deep Hungarian ancestry for you.

Conclusions:

TheMaestro

Sincerely,

Uncle G
    In many calcs two mixes I get Slovak/Albanian 48/52% so it seems legit. But yes, I plot more southern then person of my mix should plot in.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

------------------

67.0 Slavic
    16.4 Germanic

55.8 Slavic
    18.8 Germanic
    1.2 Turkic

------------------

60.2 Albanian
    39.8 Slovak

52.4 Albanian
    47.6 Hungarian

--------------------

Conclusions:

TheMaestro

Sincerely,

Uncle G
    Seems like he can be half slovak or half hungarian on gedmatch it is very similar i think gedmatch cannot truly decide in this case
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    I agree to that the question of ethnicity in this case of very closely related populations will eventually be decided by what langauge will be traditionally used. Over generations new traditions can be established and the ethnicity can be changed.

As a general take I'd like to say this: You as a single individual can not change your ethnicity, but you can influence the further development. Depending on the exact circumstances you may be able to influence what your children and grandchildren will ethnically be. I view ethnicity as something that is stable in a single individual, but what may change over generations.

I'll not deny that someone can change how he defines himself ethnically. But this can not be obligating for how others see him. In contrast to what is sometimes said an ethnic belonging is not just a personal decision. And as far as it also emotionally shall obligate others, it can of course not be just a personal decision. It must also be the view of the others.

Someone can say he does not agree and doesn't care about what I describe. Okay. But then he will not experience the full scale content of an ethnicity including the everlasting orientation and recognition of unchangable belonging. Because it's essentially the aspect of unchangeability that makes the ethnicity a trustworthy and reliable aspect to others. Something that can be changed by someone just changing his mind can never expect the same level of importance.
    I think it depends on what you are and what you want to become sometimes a individual can change it succesfully like the many germans who become American Australian or British
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information