European
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

3 Not allowed!

Default Croatian - Romanian - Moldovan DNA Connection - My 23andme Results

I'm Croatian for sure (both sets of grandparents from the Dalmatian coast area). Took 23andme, matched my results in GEDmatch and Vahaduo. I am very curious and frankly don't understand some of the results.

Results

23andme

88 percent Greek and Balkan. But then I don't get the guesses as to where my family is from after accurately estimating Croatia/Bosnia

Highly Likely: Croatia, Bosnia

Likely: Greece, Romania, Serbia

Possible: Bulgaria, Montenegro

11.1 percent Eastern European (broadly)

0.5 percent North African

0.4 trace Siberian.

GED Eurogenes K13 Calculator

1. Moldavian (Romanian from their Province of Moldavia, not Moldovan, though I assume these peoples are related)

2. Serbian

3. Croatian

4.Hungarian

5.Romanian

Vahaduo

1. Dalmatian Croat

2. Romanian from Northern Moldavia

3. Bosnian Croat

4. Serb from Northeastern Bosnia

5. Croat from Lika

6. Croat from Herzegovina

7. Bosniak from East Krajina

8. Croat from Istria

9. Serb from Bosnian Krajina

10. Moldovan from Central Moldova

1. Why would 23andme results score Greece as a "likely" match when GEDmatch and Vahaduo reveal that I do not share much DNA affinity with Greeks at all (if I increase the scope of the GEDMatch Calculator to 20 rather than the 5 I posted, it reveals that my DNA is more shared by East Germans, Southwest Russians, Estonians than it is by Greeks. confusing!)

2. I assume the shared DNA with other South Slavs/Romanians comes from Pre Slavic populations? Otherwise wouldn't my results include much more DNA shared with people in Poland/Slovakia etc? On the whole I thought Croatians were primarily Slavic, so why didn't my DNA come out as being shared by people in Slavic Countries?

3. IF the DNA shared with Romanians other South Slavs comes from pre slavic population groups....why don't I share any DNA affinity with Albanians? Aren't they the group most associated with pre slavic peoples in the Balkans?

4. Do Dalmatians typically score close with Romanians/Moldovans?

I heard an interesting theory from another forum that the high Moldovian/Moldovan DNA affinity comes from the "Carpi" tribe of Dacia, who were resettled in the Balkans by Diocletian in the 3rd Century AD, not sure how true it is

Thanks for any answers!

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you post your full Eurogenes K13 and Dodecad K12b results? I don't mean Oracles, but admixture proportions like North Atlantic, Baltic etc scores.
    I would like to add your results into Dalmatian Croat Vahaduo average.

1. Why would 23andme results score Greece as a "likely" match when GEDmatch and Vahaduo reveal that I do not share much DNA affinity with Greeks at all (if I increase the scope of the GEDMatch Calculator to 20 rather than the 5 I posted, it reveals that my DNA is more shared by East Germans, Southwest Russians, Estonians than it is by Greeks. confusing!)
    It's unusual for Dalmatian Croat to get Greece as likely match on 23andme, as well as Romania/Bulgaria. It's possible you have some recent non Croatian Balkan ancestry that you don't know about.
    But that's just possible ancestral connection, nothing more. You don't share DNA affinity with Greeks because Dalmatian Croats are very far from Greeks genetically.

2. I assume the shared DNA with other South Slavs/Romanians comes from Pre Slavic populations?
    From both Slavic and pre-Slavic populations, in a sense both are mix of those.

Otherwise wouldn't my results include much more DNA shared with people in Poland/Slovakia etc?
    Obviously it is. You will be much closer to Slovaks for eg than to southern Balkan people, who don't have much of Slavic ancestry (but even they have it)

On the whole I thought Croatians were primarily Slavic, so why didn't my DNA come out as being shared by people in Slavic Countries?
    They are and it is, you just don't know how to interpret your results. Croats are mostly Slavic, but they have strong pre Slavic DNA as well and that pulls them further apart from more purely Slavic north Slavic populations like eg. Poles.

3. IF the DNA shared with Romanians other South Slavs comes from pre slavic population groups....why don't I share any DNA affinity with Albanians? Aren't they the group most associated with pre slavic peoples in the Balkans?
    They are. Difference is that Romanians and especially Moldovans have much more Slavic admixture than Albanians do, which pulls them close to some south slav populations.

4. Do Dalmatians typically score close with Romanians/Moldovans?
    Yeah it's common, but mostly from Moldova region of Romania or Republic or Moldova. Bosnians are closest though.

Last Online
    06-10-2023 @ 08:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you post your full Eurogenes K13 and Dodecad K12b results? I don't mean Oracles, but admixture proportions like North Atlantic, Baltic etc scores.
    I would like to add your results into Dalmatian Croat Vahaduo average.[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]

Sure I will! Thanks for the warm welcome

[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]It's unusual for Dalmatian Croat to get Greece as likely match on 23andme, as well as Romania/Bulgaria. It's possible you have some recent non Croatian Balkan ancestry that you don't know about.
    But that's just possible ancestral connection, nothing more. You don't share DNA affinity with Greeks because Dalmatian Croats are very far from Greeks genetically.[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]

Interesting. If it helps explain things, my Paternal Haplogroup is EV13.

[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]Obviously it is. You will be much closer to Slovaks for eg than to southern Balkan people, who don't have much of Slavic ancestry (but even they have it)[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]

Yeah? Because when I look at my Vahaduo results for "larger" populations, it goes:

1. Croat - Southern
    2. Northern Romanian
    3. Bosniak
    4. Moldovan - Central
    5. Croat
    6. Moldovan - North
    7. Csango Ceangau (Romania again)
    8. Hungarian Transylvania
    9. Serb
    10. Hungarian
    11. Northern Croat
    12. Romanian from Central Romania
    13. Poland - Leko
    14. Romanian
    15. Hungarian North
    16. Austrian Carinthian
    17. Montenegrin

Is GEDMatch accurate?

There are more genetic similarities to 5 different types of Romanian before a purely "Slavic" peoples are listed (Poland)

[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]They are and it is, you just don't know how to interpret your results. Croats are mostly Slavic, but they have strong pre Slavic DNA as well and that pulls them further apart from more purely Slavic north Slavic populations like eg. Poles.[QUOTE=Stearsolina;7446012]

Very cool/interesting. I guess it makes sense that we would be similar to Romanians then given that they have the same admixture (paleo balkan and slavic)

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Lots of south west Slavs score Greece on 23andme, almost always peloponnese as the top region.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    Lots of south west Slavs score Greece on 23andme, almost always peloponnese as the top region.
    Yes! that's where they guessed my ancestors came from.

for what its worth when people guess my heritage they guess Greece/Italy but I don't have tan skin.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I have genuine Greek ancestry (very distant tho, something like few percent) and I don't score Greece at all on 23andme, neither do my DNA matches there.
    Frustrating.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Eurogenes K13 would guess that I was made up of these different peoples if I was mixed ethnicity:

Moldavian plus Serbian (50% each)

For Four different Grandparents?:

Moldovian 25%, Moldovian 25%, Russian Smolensk 25%, Tuscan 25%

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Wow. This was the answer of someone from a different forum. Thoughts?

As no answer here seems to comprehend what is with the Croatian - Romanian genetic relation some elaboration is required.

Genetic distance between south Croatians and east Romanians is almost perfect.

As we can see above Cro - South / Ro East is the closest between all the 29 European populations studied above, more than any other pair in particular. In other words no other population in Europe is so much genetically related than South Croatia - East Romania and also very much Croatia in general with East Romania, or the Moldovan side of Romania.

Also Genetic distance between Romania and other European countries

And Moldova’s gentic distance

confirm that.

Here are few more significant clues.

The time to a most recent common ancestor of this population is established to be between 1700 to 1100 years ago.

A 1700 years ago event that could have changed the genetic landscape of north west Balkans and also be strongly related to east Carpathian area could only be the attested shift of an over 100,000 Dacian Carpi group from beyond the Carpathian area to south west Pannonia and north west Balkans, in 290s AD, by Diocletian.

Up to 318 AD Constantine also shifted two 100 k Carpi groups from the east Carpathians to bellow Danube into the Balkans.

And to better understand what those figures meant as population size those times compare it to the entire Visigoth nation that crossed the Danube in 376 AD, around 100 K all.

Highland Transylvanian Romanians from the former Dacian strongholds are also genetically related to areas of Bosnia Herzegovina.

The Megleno - Romanians of Macedonia area are mostly genetically related to parts of south and east Romania and still speak a very well understood East Romanian language.

Here is the late Neolithic Cucuteni culture

Its population between the east Carpathians and up to Dnieper river were mostly I2a genes.

The earliest and mostly I2a individuals attested in a culture and also todays spread of I2a, with the founder effect of 2 genetically identical populations, arriving in north west Balkans in two different waves.

The Bronze age Getae - Thracian cultures expand at north of Black sea is attested to be gradually pushed west by the Scythian arrivals, after 1800 - 1600 BC.

Then the Eastern most Carpi expand during the 5 century BC is attested to be up to Dnieper river, encompassing the former Cucuteni expand.

Genetic diversity analyses prove that I2a originated in the former Cucuteni culture, expanded in the east Romania and south west Ukraine today.

Then here is the spread of most frequent mtDNA in Romanians

originated in east - central Romania, following the path of the Uelcos (falcon) people expand, also known as Vlachs, Volcae, Wallons, Welsh, using the Falcon as totem and probably Celticized former Getae people in the west, during La Tene Celtic expand.

Volcae or Uelcos, were part of the early Latin tribes that founded Rome and there is their maternal genetic imprint in the Alps and all around Rome.

Vlachs also, were not only the Balkans pastoralists, but they also practiced agriculture above the Danube and since early medieval times mostly owned the higher land of the Balkans and Carpathians, due to the many waves of medieval migrations, for the fact that on top of the mountains the pastoral way of life preserved their existence.

Here are the Vlach transhumance paths, which do not mean nomads but a 2 seasons residence.

like spending summer in the mountains and winter nearby a river or sea.

Early Vlachs are attested way east above the Black sea, like the medieval Volohoveni and their area on both sides of Bug river, during the 1241 Mongol invasion.

Volohoveni cavalry is attested to join the Mongols of Jebe and Subutai in the 1241 Battle of Kalka river, against the Kievan Rus and Cumans, most probably to gain independence and later on are attested to be in high esteem with the Mongols, during the Golden Horde period control over the north of Black sea.

The medieval Vlach tribes spread into north west Balkans is also recorded in the Karl Kaser’s map of the Adriatic coast.

Further north there was medieval Morlachia

Name of Mauro, Black, North Vlachs, is assumed by few sources to have come from a 12 tribes group displaced from Pannonia, at Magyars arrival. The Vlachs of north Danube were also called Black Vlachs, Kara Ulak or Kara Iflak in Turkish and in contrast to them there were the White Vlachs from bellow Danube.

Then in Ragusa, founded by a Romance speaking neo - Latin speaking population. By around 1316 a Ragusan census counted 23k Vlachs out of the about 30k Ragusan citizens.

Vlachs of Ragusa also surface few decades earlier, in the Milutin chronicles, to have supplied 10,000 armors to Negru voda Basarab, the Vlach ruler of Wallachia from north Danube, in a war against Hungary. We also find out that the Serbs intercepted the armors and most probably used them to conquer around, with the large support of the Hungarian king, who married his sister to Milutin.

St Blasius/Vlasius, the patron of Ragusa, is said to have saved the city in 9 century from the Venetian invasion. He is also said to have been of Arman origin. The Balkans medievalist John Fine of Michigan university clarifies that the Arman/Armani term is an endonym and stands for the Aromanian Vlachs of south Balkans, of Aromanian origin and not of Armenian origin, as some interpret today. Blas / Vlas name and the Balkan location also confirm that most probably we talk about an Aromanian Vlach origin. The confusion persisted throughout the medieval times, not knowing that Arman/Armani is an endonym, how the Aromanians call themselves up to date, which as ‘A’ prefixed means “from the Romans’, “of Roman origin”.

Also the East Romanian names still keep “A” prefix to identify “of belonging to” “of someone’s family” in mostly matriarchal names like Aioanei - of Ioana, Ailenei - of Ileana, but also locations like Ailoaiei bridge, the bridge of Iloaia.

Linguistics also confirm that the 19 century extinct Dalmatian language had a strong influence of East Romanian language and I provided a few examples in this answer Alex Green's answer to Do Romanians understand the Dalmatian language? Dalmatian was like half Romanian, of which most daily used terms were a sort of mix of archaic east and south west Romanian and half was western Romance, with clear sort of north east Italic influences, like the Friuli language.

Wow

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

numbers from GEDCalculator Raw:

25.89,31.51,16.13,9.31,12.23,2.87,0,0,1.27,0,0.75, 0,0

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrolic View Post
    Wow. This was the answer of someone from a different forum. Thoughts?

As no answer here seems to comprehend what is with the Croatian - Romanian genetic relation some elaboration is required.

Genetic distance between south Croatians and east Romanians is almost perfect.

As we can see above Cro - South / Ro East is the closest between all the 29 European populations studied above, more than any other pair in particular. In other words no other population in Europe is so much genetically related than South Croatia - East Romania and also very much Croatia in general with East Romania, or the Moldovan side of Romania.

Also Genetic distance between Romania and other European countries

And Moldova’s gentic distance

confirm that.

Here are few more significant clues.

The time to a most recent common ancestor of this population is established to be between 1700 to 1100 years ago.

A 1700 years ago event that could have changed the genetic landscape of north west Balkans and also be strongly related to east Carpathian area could only be the attested shift of an over 100,000 Dacian Carpi group from beyond the Carpathian area to south west Pannonia and north west Balkans, in 290s AD, by Diocletian.

Up to 318 AD Constantine also shifted two 100 k Carpi groups from the east Carpathians to bellow Danube into the Balkans.

And to better understand what those figures meant as population size those times compare it to the entire Visigoth nation that crossed the Danube in 376 AD, around 100 K all.

Highland Transylvanian Romanians from the former Dacian strongholds are also genetically related to areas of Bosnia Herzegovina.

The Megleno - Romanians of Macedonia area are mostly genetically related to parts of south and east Romania and still speak a very well understood East Romanian language.

Here is the late Neolithic Cucuteni culture

Its population between the east Carpathians and up to Dnieper river were mostly I2a genes.

The earliest and mostly I2a individuals attested in a culture and also todays spread of I2a, with the founder effect of 2 genetically identical populations, arriving in north west Balkans in two different waves.

The Bronze age Getae - Thracian cultures expand at north of Black sea is attested to be gradually pushed west by the Scythian arrivals, after 1800 - 1600 BC.

Then the Eastern most Carpi expand during the 5 century BC is attested to be up to Dnieper river, encompassing the former Cucuteni expand.

Genetic diversity analyses prove that I2a originated in the former Cucuteni culture, expanded in the east Romania and south west Ukraine today.

Then here is the spread of most frequent mtDNA in Romanians

originated in east - central Romania, following the path of the Uelcos (falcon) people expand, also known as Vlachs, Volcae, Wallons, Welsh, using the Falcon as totem and probably Celticized former Getae people in the west, during La Tene Celtic expand.

Volcae or Uelcos, were part of the early Latin tribes that founded Rome and there is their maternal genetic imprint in the Alps and all around Rome.

Vlachs also, were not only the Balkans pastoralists, but they also practiced agriculture above the Danube and since early medieval times mostly owned the higher land of the Balkans and Carpathians, due to the many waves of medieval migrations, for the fact that on top of the mountains the pastoral way of life preserved their existence.

Here are the Vlach transhumance paths, which do not mean nomads but a 2 seasons residence.

like spending summer in the mountains and winter nearby a river or sea.

Early Vlachs are attested way east above the Black sea, like the medieval Volohoveni and their area on both sides of Bug river, during the 1241 Mongol invasion.

Volohoveni cavalry is attested to join the Mongols of Jebe and Subutai in the 1241 Battle of Kalka river, against the Kievan Rus and Cumans, most probably to gain independence and later on are attested to be in high esteem with the Mongols, during the Golden Horde period control over the north of Black sea.

The medieval Vlach tribes spread into north west Balkans is also recorded in the Karl Kaser’s map of the Adriatic coast.

Further north there was medieval Morlachia

Name of Mauro, Black, North Vlachs, is assumed by few sources to have come from a 12 tribes group displaced from Pannonia, at Magyars arrival. The Vlachs of north Danube were also called Black Vlachs, Kara Ulak or Kara Iflak in Turkish and in contrast to them there were the White Vlachs from bellow Danube.

Then in Ragusa, founded by a Romance speaking neo - Latin speaking population. By around 1316 a Ragusan census counted 23k Vlachs out of the about 30k Ragusan citizens.

Vlachs of Ragusa also surface few decades earlier, in the Milutin chronicles, to have supplied 10,000 armors to Negru voda Basarab, the Vlach ruler of Wallachia from north Danube, in a war against Hungary. We also find out that the Serbs intercepted the armors and most probably used them to conquer around, with the large support of the Hungarian king, who married his sister to Milutin.

St Blasius/Vlasius, the patron of Ragusa, is said to have saved the city in 9 century from the Venetian invasion. He is also said to have been of Arman origin. The Balkans medievalist John Fine of Michigan university clarifies that the Arman/Armani term is an endonym and stands for the Aromanian Vlachs of south Balkans, of Aromanian origin and not of Armenian origin, as some interpret today. Blas / Vlas name and the Balkan location also confirm that most probably we talk about an Aromanian Vlach origin. The confusion persisted throughout the medieval times, not knowing that Arman/Armani is an endonym, how the Aromanians call themselves up to date, which as ‘A’ prefixed means “from the Romans’, “of Roman origin”.

Also the East Romanian names still keep “A” prefix to identify “of belonging to” “of someone’s family” in mostly matriarchal names like Aioanei - of Ioana, Ailenei - of Ileana, but also locations like Ailoaiei bridge, the bridge of Iloaia.

Linguistics also confirm that the 19 century extinct Dalmatian language had a strong influence of East Romanian language and I provided a few examples in this answer Alex Green's answer to Do Romanians understand the Dalmatian language? Dalmatian was like half Romanian, of which most daily used terms were a sort of mix of archaic east and south west Romanian and half was western Romance, with clear sort of north east Italic influences, like the Friuli language.

Wow
    Absolute nonsense and fairy tale fantasies. Not worth of a serious reply.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information