Thread: Pope Francis encourages the people of Wales to preserve and maintain the Welsh language

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,209
    Given: 43,751

0 Not allowed!

Default Pope Francis encourages the people of Wales to preserve and maintain the Welsh language

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...3IoGbc6FI3kXQ8

The Mass in Welsh, which is also known as the Offeren Gymraeg, was held in St James's Roman Catholic Church's Spanish Place in London

The head of the Catholic church, Pope Francis, has encouraged the people of Wales to preserve the Welsh language and inspire others to use it. The message came during a special mass for Welsh Catholics in London in March, where Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti - Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain, read out the Pope's message.

The Mass in Welsh, which is also known as the Offeren Gymraeg, was held in St. James's Roman Catholic Church's Spanish Place in London. During the mass, Welsh Catholics received an Apostolic Blessing as well as a rather special message from Pope Francis.

Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti addressed the congregation in the name of their Holy Father by saying: "My dear brothers and sisters, I am much honoured today to have the opportunity of conveying the message of congratulations, blessing and all good things to you as representatives of the glorious Welsh nation.

"I must tell you friendly that I had some problems in understanding some commerce. In spite of the fact that I studied foreign languages at the university, my impact with Welsh was a little bit difficult. I wanted to have an impact which is modern, which is up to date, so the only word I learned was popty-ping."

In his message, read by Gugerotti, the Pope said: "Mindful of Wales’ cultural and historical heritage, and of its venerable Christian tradition nurtured by great saints such as Beuno, Winifred and Cadog, the Holy Father wishes to encourage Welsh people and those who wish to preserve this patrimony to practise it and to inspire others to study, speak and pray in this ancient language.

"His holiness wishes to convey his spiritual closeness and prayerful best wishes to all those taking part in this important, ecclesial event. As a pledge of heavenly graces... the Holy Father invokes the intercession of the blessed Virgin Mary and Saint David - patron of Wales, and cordially imparts his Apostolic Blessing."
    Last edited by Tooting Carmen; 04-12-2022 at 12:55 AM.

Thread Information