Haaaaaaa
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

Default Beautiful people are more intelligent

Sociologists and social psychologists have long known that there is a widespread perception shared by many people that physically attractive people are more intelligent and competent, as well as hold many other desirable characteristics. A large number of experiments over the years have shown that, when asked to rate the intelligence or competence of unknown others, people tend to rate attractive others as more intelligent and competent than unattractive others. This sentiment is captured in an old aphorism “What is beautiful is good.” But why is this? Why do people believe that physically attractive people are more intelligent and competent?

While physical attractiveness is an integral part of mate selection, the evidence suggests that concerns for mate selection are not the reason people think that beautiful people are more intelligent. First, children as young as kindergarteners share the perception that beautiful people are more competent. Asked to choose between two teachers, one more physically attractive than the other, many kindergarteners prefer the more attractive teacher because they believe she is more competent and nicer. Second, more importantly, among adults, the common perception holds both within and between the sexes. Not only do men believe that more attractive women are more intelligent and women believe more attractive men are more intelligent, but men also believe that more attractive men are more intelligent and women also believe that more attractive women are more intelligent. Since 5-year-olds are typically not concerned with mate selection, and since most people are heterosexual, these two pieces of evidence suggest that there is more going on than concerns of mate selection.

Facial beautySociologists and social psychologists, convinced (and politically predisposed to believe) that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and “beauty is only skin-deep,” dismiss this widespread perception as “bias,” stereotype,” or “halo effect,” with the implicit assumption that the perception is not accurate and has no factual basis. It is a stereotype that beautiful people are more intelligent. But, as I explain in an earlier post, virtually all stereotypes are empirically true; if they were not true, they would not be stereotypes in the first place. And it turns out that this one is no exception. People believe beautiful people are more intelligent, because they in fact are.

The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health), conducted by a team of researchers at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, is one of the very few social science datasets that take biological and genetic influences on human behavior seriously. As a result, Add Health routinely measures both the intelligence and physical attractiveness of its respondents.

In the Wave III of Add Health, conducted in 2000-2001, respondents take an IQ test called the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test. And then their physical attractiveness is measured objectively by an interviewer, who is unaware of their IQ test scores, on a 5-point scale (1 = Very unattractive, 2 = Unattractive, 3 = About average, 4 = Attractive, and 5 = Very attractive). The following graph shows the association between Add Health respondents’ physical attractiveness and their intelligence. The data come from a large (n = 15,197) nationally representative sample of young Americans (mean age = 22).

The graphs show that the association is no longer monotonic among either women or men, but the general positive association still holds for both sexes. “Very attractive” women are on average more intelligent than “very unattractive” women by about 6 IQ points. Similarly, “very attractive” men are on average more intelligent than “very unattractive” men by about 8 IQ points.

So it appears that the “stereotype” that beautiful people are more intelligent appears to be true empirically, just as virtually all “stereotypes” are. But now the question is: Why? Why are beautiful people more intelligent? I will address this question in my next post.
    Source

Banned
    Last Online
    11-07-2021 @ 03:48 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Ancestry
    Caucasus
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Athesit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Heavily disagree. I think good-looking people aren't taking seriously in most traditional fields of intelligence, and are more associated with the arts.

Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 01:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic, German, some Jewish
    Ancestry
    Mercia/Northumbria, Westphalia/Baden-Wuttemburg, Mayo/Donegal, Powys, Argyll, Pas-de-Calais, Poland?
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    probably alpine+atlantid/mediterranid
    Politics
    non party affiliated center-right
    Hero
    Vercingetorix, Caratacus, Arminius, Robert the Bruce, Owain Glyndwr, Jan Sobieski III
    Religion
    I feel connected to paganism & my ancestors but am also scientific
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,927
    Given: 2,177

0 Not allowed!

I guess I'm the exception

Thread Information