Spanish
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 97

1 Not allowed!

Default Phenotype Vs Genotype

I have come to the conclusion that they’re very loosely related. Just because ur ancestry is a certain way doesn’t mean you’ll look like it and wise versa. For example one person can be half west Asian half European let’s say iranian and jewish and north Indian Dutch. iranian and 25% Jewish father and 25% indian and rest Dutch mother. Two kids. Both boys let’s say for simplicity. One boy looks more Dutch because he took the pigmentation genes and the facial structure/phenotype of the mother but his dna results show he inherited alot of the indian from the mother and less of the Dutch genes/genotype. Where as boy two from his mums side took all the Dutch genes/genotype but got his phenotype/facial structure and pigment from his father and looks iranian,Turkish,Jewish

In Short/Conclusion Phenotype doesn’t equal Genotype

Last Online
    10-30-2022 @ 01:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Ik it’s a bit of a confusing example turned out more confusing than I intended but I think the point got across

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,446
    Given: 5,771

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Didac View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that they’re very loosely related. Just because ur ancestry is a certain way doesn’t mean you’ll look like it and wise versa. For example one person can be half west Asian half European let’s say iranian and jewish and north Indian Dutch. iranian and 25% Jewish father and 25% indian and rest Dutch mother. Two kids. Both boys let’s say for simplicity. One boy looks more Dutch because he took the pigmentation genes and the facial structure/phenotype of the mother but his dna results show he inherited alot of the indian from the mother and less of the Dutch genes/genotype. Where as boy two from his mums side took all the Dutch genes/genotype but got his phenotype/facial structure and pigment from his father and looks iranian,Turkish,Jewish

In Short/Conclusion Phenotype doesn’t equal Genotype
    I think that genes do explain phenotypes to an extent, for example Nordics tend to be haplogroup I which is derived from Meds while Alpines and CM types are haplogroup R, that said it is very loose.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,497
    Given: 5,740

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    I think that genes do explain phenotypes to an extent, for example Nordics tend to be haplogroup I which is derived from Meds while Alpines and CM types are haplogroup R, that said it is very loose.
    You do realize that Scandinavia is more R1 than it is I1? For Norwegians and Iceland it's not even close they are about two times more R1 than I1, Sweden equal and Finns are 2/3 N, Danemark is significantly more R1 too. The genotypes that matter in relation to phenotypes are not in the Y chromosome anyway. It's not even loose, it's irelevant in this case. Autosomal has naturaly more correlation, at least in frequency, as it's some kind of poll of all your genes in proportions.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    You do realize that Scandinavia is more R1 than it is I1? For Norwegians and Iceland it's not even close they are about two times more R1 than I1, Sweden equal and Finns are 2/3 N, Danemark is significantly more R1 too. The genotypes that matter in relation to phenotypes are not in the Y chromosome anyway. It's not even loose, it's irelevant in this case. Autosomal has naturaly more correlation, at least in frequency, as it's some kind of poll of all your genes in proportions.
    That is because Scandinavia is heavily CM, it is notable though how Sweden which has a higher Hallstatt component scores higher in I1 dna.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    That is because Scandinavia is heavily CM, it is notable though how Sweden which has a higher Hallstatt component scores higher in I1 dna.
    That doesn't tell how you have certain phenotypes because of an Y that is mostly coding for proteine and the fact you are an human instead of say, a plant. Also females don't even have a Y, how does that Hallstat component works for females in that case? Females there are overwhelmingly H, like most Europeans. This makes no sense.

Last Online
    10-30-2022 @ 01:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That doesn't tell how you have certain phenotypes because of an Y that is mostly coding for proteine and the fact you are an human instead of say, a plant. Also females don't even have a Y, how does that Hallstat component works for females in that case? Females there are overwhelmingly H, like most Europeans. This makes no sense.

It doesn’t because there’s nothing like this. Genotype doesn’t equal phenotype mostly. It’s only very slightly, this is especially seen in mixed individuals

Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,026
    Given: 12,252

3 Not allowed!

It doesn’t because there’s nothing like this. Genotype doesn’t equal phenotype mostly. It’s only very slightly, this is especially seen in mixed individuals
    Phenotype is literally the expression of genotype.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I suppose with females it would be the dominant haplogroup of Europe and west Asia, all Caucasians are closely related, Med and CM types have the same Proto Caucasoid root.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

There is obviously a relationship, some known genes code for things that are apparent in us, like even the shape of your index finger or the length of your lashes, among millions of other things nobody cares about, yet very much linked to phenotype. Everything you see (and don't see) in a person is coded in his genome, this is why twins look the same, and even think the same, because they are a carbon copy genetically.

But it is certainly a relation that becomes apparent at a much larger scale, than a specific little chromosome like the Y representing less than 1% of a male genome, and that females don't even have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information