Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

3 Not allowed!

Very good detailed review. Maybe I’ll write a similar one about Sevastopol, although this is probably not interesting to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    I envy people who can travel
    You do not have enough lifetime to explore in detail only your own country.
    Not to mention what is written in the post above mine.
    I managed to visit some places in Europe before the crisis - our country is better and much more diverse.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,828
    Given: 827

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    Very good detailed review. Maybe I’ll write a similar one about Sevastopol, although this is probably not interesting to anyone.

You do not have enough lifetime to explore in detail only your own country.
    Not to mention what is written in the post above mine.
    I managed to visit some places in Europe before the crisis - our country is better and much more diverse.

I agree. I will go to Crimea one day.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,421
    Given: 6,760

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    Maybe I’ll write a similar one about Sevastopol, although this is probably not interesting to anyone.
    (...)
    Yes, please. I once visited (just) Yalta and Feodosia on Crimea.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    I envy people who can travel
    Well, I would personally say travel is overrated. I have been to 3 separate trips since summer which is not too much and they have all been to nearby or not far central European countries and I am terribly exhausted and feel no will to travel abroad for a long time afterwards. Some people really enjoy rush of the trip but to me this was all too much and I wanna relax home now. It's nice to travel, don't get me wrong, but after Hungary trip I don't plan to go anywhere else for a while.

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    Well, I would personally say travel is overpriced
    Fixed.
    It's quite expensive if you have a child and a non-working wife. Even traveling around Russia is often an overprice in this case, especially the Far East.
    I can visit my parents in Sevastopol and not pay for an overnight stay, but Crimea is not limited to Sevastopol, and my parents are not against gifts from [rich, in their opinion] Muscovites.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Zagreb
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 219

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    I am back to Budapest and there is many things I would like to say, for example what I noticed changed in the city since I was there for long last time.

-city is just extremely grandiose and impressive, no matter how long you lived there or how many times you visited. There are very few European capitals that are as majestic as Budapest is. I can think only of Istanbul which is not even fully European. You heard me, even Paris and London do not have such grandeur Budapest does (combination of gigantic inner city filled with architectural landmarks and huge avenues, public parks, plus the mighty Danube and powerful castle on the hills overlooking the city). I never get used to metropolis feeling of Budapest, and it always leaves me stunned. Very similar vibe to New York in that.

-city changed for the worse during covid crisis. Many shops I knew closed and many streets look shitty and half deserted. City is dirtier than I even remembered, filled with filth (keep in mind it is popular party destination for western Euros) and many homeless or mentally ill people. They were always there but now they are more than before and it is a very nasty sight. Budapest is central European capital with biggest problem of homeless and ill on the streets, seems even new leftist major cant fix that.

-lot of electric cars around (they are recognized by green license plates)

-prices have gone up quite a bit, it is certainly not a cheap budget destination anymore (at least not for non western Euros)

-public transportation is a chaos (metro lines under reconstruction etc), and it has been like that for several years. It is awesome they are modernizing the lines, but fuuck it is annoying to take packed replacement buses instead. This is more of my rant because our line no.3 is currently under reconstruction. Otherwise again I need to stress how well organized, efficient and diverse Budapest public transportation is. It will be even better when reconstructions are done.

-it is full with Ukrainians. I have mixed feelings about that. I cried while seeing trains full with women and children arrive at railway station but on the other hand you see rich fucks (men included) with Ferarris and Bugattis and Ukrainian plates parading around. I have a feeling better off Ukrainians fled the country and left the poor and less fortunate to defend it.

-Police brutality. I have seen cops lifting some hobos and slamming them against the wall in one metro station, also a big cop strangling some colored guy in a judo submission just like that, and it was quite disturbing to see

-Budapest population is very cultured. You can see people of all ages reading books on trains, in trains or buses, in parks and cafees. Simply lovely. I do not need to mention how much cultural offerings this city has...

-weather shocked me. Few days ago it was so hot and without air I felt I will pass out. Today way chilly and windy and we wore winter hats. Budapest has real four season climate and weather changes fast. Similar to American midwest. I also never witnessed such strong and sudden lighting storms in my own country.

-most important thing I noticed: this city is less white than ever before and it is not particularly white city at all. Chinese are everywhere. Budapest has biggest Chinese population in central Europe. There are also Arabs, Turks, Indians and Pakis/Bengalis, and of course many Gypsies and Jews (including orthodox Jews). White expats of all nations and age groups. It was always multi cultural city and it is part of its charm and energy, but now it has more non Hungarians than ever before. Btw, rich non Euros can buy residency bonds and move there, which many Chinese did for example. You can see really many weird phenotypes in Pest, many look weird and you would not take them for Hungarians but many are locals for a long time. Buda is different, more white.

To sum up, this city is like no other. It is alive 24-7 and has a legendary nightlife and culture. It is very liberal, young and decadent city with a party soul. But at the same time you can feel its history and wounds (20th century for example was extremely rough on it). All other central European capitals pale in comparison with Budapest. Prague may be prettier, Vienna classier, Ljubljana cuter etc....but Budapest is simply in a league of its own. It is incredibly exciting place. If you are bored in Budapest, you are beyond hope.

How would I describe Budapest? Magnificent and unforgettable. Imperfect city, often filthy as fuck, unkept, disgusting (it is simply too large to maintain properly, many foreigners have no idea how giant the downtown is) - may facades are falling apart -but on the other hand it is grandiose as fuck. There you will see best and most luxurious architecture of late 19th and early 20th century Europe. You will feel what Hungary once was - country much larger and quite influential. You will feel its wounds of many past wars and regimes, you will feel it was once among leading cities in the world and it may be once again.

It is becoming a global city - again.

Food is amazing. No further comments needed.

Buda is really very nice. Most of my comments are about Pest, since we are in Pest. And btw, northern Pest here we are is extremely underrated-100 times better than chaotic downtown. And I prefer it too Buda as well since I dislike hills.
    but even there I am reminded how distances are huge in the city - crossing the Danube to Margaret Island which is a stone throw away tires one as hell. Everything is too big and not in a walking distance. Or I am getting old.

Budapest - strange mix of splendor and decay. Incredibly impressive and extravagant, but also raw and gritty. City with a beating pulse, made for adventures. You either love it and hate it, often both at the same time. It certainly evokes many strong feelings.
    Seedy and dangerous often, but oh so sexy and remarkable. City with a soul and charisma which will leave none cold. Also it has strange southern side to it, with a busy street life and chaos completely different to typical beautiful but sterile and sadly boring central Euro capitals.

I love this city. But I am not sure do I want to live in it in the future. Likely no. But if somebody wants to see essence of Europe, Budapest should be near the top of the list.
    I have recently returned from Budapest. I didn't visit this city before, so I cannot compare, but I have very good impressions. Maybe I'll describe more later.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,446
    Given: 31,619

2 Not allowed!

it was very nice to read, sounds like literature, you are a gifted writer.

I crossed Budapest several times, didn't stay, was in a bus to and from Italy, like all those poor countrymen of mine

I regret not taking an opportunity to study there for one year, had such a chance at the university, they were paying extra money to the Erasmus monthly allowance, so that you choose Budapest. I chose a uni in Poland instead, where I didn't go in the end, getting a job in Romania. stupid youth choices
    Last edited by Nurzat; 05-08-2022 at 09:57 PM.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jankec View Post
    I have recently returned from Budapest. I didn't visit this city before, so I cannot compare, but I have very good impressions. Maybe I'll describe more later.
    Please do. Would be very interesting to read it. You can write it here if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    it was very nice to read, sounds like literature, you are a gifted writer.

I crossed Budapest several times, didn't stay, was in a bus to and from Italy, like all those poor countrymen of mine

I regret not taking an opportunity to study there for one year, had such a chance at the university, they were paying extra money to the Erasmus monthly allowance, so that you choose Budapest. I chose a uni in Poland instead, where I didn't go in the end, getting a job in Romania. stupid youth choices
    I feel with you! Personally I made too many mistakes in youth (don't feel young anymore after 30). Erasmus in Budapest would be perfect, that's ideal city for young students with tons to see and do, and not too pricey. Pity you didn't do it. I also wish I went to Erasmus somewhere (I did not).

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

To add, here are some things I consider central to making Budapest world class city and unique in it's own way.

-Baths. There are so many, for age groups and price ranges. You have them all over the city. Lot of bath parties too with DJs and stuff.
    Imagine how awesome it is too have endless amount of hot baths during cold winters in city like Budapest, but also in summer when it is extremely warm.
    Baths alone give this city level above other central European capitals in my opinion.

-centralized Party District and Ruin Pubs
    Budapest has incredible nightlife in line with notorious party places like Berlin or Belgrade. Bars and clubs are scattered all over the city but you have giant central party district which is good thing in my view.
    Ruin pubs are of course awesome. Turns decayed city parts into cool and sexy places. And they are often relaxed and fun as hell.

-Margaret Island
    This is Island in middle of the Danube, basically in heart of the city, between Buda and Pest. Entire Island is green and made for sport (has Olympic swimming pools complex for eg) and leisure. Wonderful pristinely kept parks which are basically entire Island. It has a medieval monestary, a small ZOO and exotic plants too. You can reach it via public transport or on foot via Margaret Bridge (and ofc with own car if you want)

Margaret Island is Budapest version of New York Central Park but better.

There is more but this is top 3 reasons that come to my mind right now.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Digital Don Quixote
    Ethnicity
    Forums
    Ancestry
    Hellenic, Balkan, Latin, Anatolian, Druide
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Athens
    Taxonomy
    Anatolian Lappid
    Hero
    Justinian, Constantine, Augustus, Charlemagne, Aurelian, Alexander
    Religion
    Uralische beauties, Viktor Orban
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,627
    Given: 10,176

2 Not allowed!

A friend visited during Easter and confirmed that the prices have gone up from what I could remember.

When it comes to immigration, he was surprised at how few immigrants the city has compared to Athens, let alone Paris which he visited at Christmas.
    And alive 24/7...maybe around ruin bars.

In any case, impressive city and architecture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information