Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Little bit offtopic, but you mention "semi-clannish southern Russians". This is interesting. What are differences in mentality between northern and southern Russians? what about central Russians? would a northern Russian who for eg. decides to move to Sevstopol need some kind of adjustment period? Curious.

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Little bit offtopic, but you mention "semi-clannish southern Russians". This is interesting. What are differences in mentality between northern and southern Russians? what about central Russians? would a northern Russian who for eg. decides to move to Sevstopol need some kind of adjustment period? Curious.
    It's not my fault that Caucasoids at a certain latitude start cosplaying Sicilians.

The north is a zone of risky farming, and the south (for example, the Kuban, Crimea, Ukraine) is a favorable zone of farming. In the north, there was originally a communal way of managing, in the south - a farm (hutor in Russian). In the north, a neighbor is a support, who is taken care of like a close relative, his interests are taken into account, nobody deceives him. In the south, the neighboring hutor is a competitor in the sale of surplus agricultural production at the bazaar. Hence: egocentrism, overestimated self-esteem, the imposition of one's will, the habit of not considering other people's interests, low negotiability. Moreover, this way of existence is considered the norm by rivals: today I deceived you, tomorrow you will deceive me. Intelligent southerners make ambitious, strong-willed, quick-witted business leaders. From the mass of northerners - close-knit, friendly hard-working subordinates. At the same time, this mentality is formed not by genes, but exclusively by upbringing. As long as Ukraine and Russia were together, the symbiosis of different mentalities was beneficial to everyone and was not a problem.

About the southerners, it is worth adding that such behavior usually does not apply to your relatives - the family is above all, and relatives are a priority, even if they are somewhat inferior to a person from the outside. In northerners, this is less developed, according to my observations. On the other hand, thanks to the "clan" the number of southern Russians is increasing, and they successfully resist the migrants.

But this is a theory, but in practice, all approaches have long been mixed.

As I has been living in Moscow for a long time. I can say this - this whole difference in mentality between the Russian south and north is too exaggerated.
    Yes, of course there is a difference, but there is even more in common. By the way, Sevastopol is more "northern" shifted in mentality than the Krasnodar Krai, the Rostov-on-Don or Stavropol region, imo.
    Individual differences in the behavior of Russian people are much stronger than statistical differences between northerners and southerners.
    For a migrant from Arkhangelsk, Sevastopol will definitely be uncomfortable at first, but over time he will get used to it.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,764

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    (…)
    Now waiting for “Archangelsk - briefly”.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    Now waiting for “Archangelsk - briefly”.
    In fact, I used Arkhangelsk as the most stereotypical and well-known northern Russian city. I would call Norilsk a real antipode of Sevastopol.
    Regarding "Arkhangelsk - Briefly" - there are no residents of this city on this forum. I'm afraid that I am probably the only more or less active Russian user here, even Rumata is no longer active.
    And after the May holidays, I want to take a break.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information