Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

5 Not allowed!

Default Sevastopol - briefly.

The city of sailors and military, the city of memory. In fact, the city is not a resort, but a military base masquerading as a city - a lot of military activity and military buildings.
    A significant part of the local population are military families.
    I would not call Sevastopol a resort city in full measure, in order to get to a good beach, it is better to leave the city anyway. And this is not always convenient. After all, many people go to rest on the sea, and the sea here is not a beach.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of museums, memorable places, in general, there are places to go and things to see.
    And at the same time, all the sights of Sevastopol are mainly with a naval theme. That is why the inhabitants of Sevastopol have been imbued with patriotism since childhood. For some people, such a concentration of places reminiscent of the war puts a lot of pressure psychologically and does not allow them to relax.

No offense to the Crimeans, I believe that there are three full-fledged cities in Crimea, where everyone wants to move to - these are Sevastopol, Yalta and Simferopol.
    The rest of the cities are smaller, it is difficult to find work there and it can be boring in winter, although it is often very atmospheric and more resort-like, so to speak, than in Sevastopol, for example.

It seems to me that the Soviet spirit and some of its traditions still remain in Sevastopol. Spontaneous markets still function here, many shops sell goods through the counter and few supermarkets. Supermarkets here are local, some kind of Crimean ones, that is, there are no Pyaterochka, Magnit, etc. familiar to the Russian Federation. There is not even Sberbank here for obvious reasons - but there are 3 local banks. Prices are quite high for everything, almost the same as on the mainland of the Russian Federation.

In addition, even prices for local products, such as dairy products, fruits and vegetables, are quite high. Of course, you can attribute this to the fact that the city is still a kind of resort. But what about the locals? They are either accustomed to such prices or they know underground places where you can buy goods cheaper.

And in general, the choice of goods in stores is not that big.

But there are more and more ozon or wildberries pickup points, many do just that - they order goods there. Scooters for hire appeared in the city, lined up in a row in the most unexpected places.

In general, the city is expanding, new buildings are appearing here. The private sector is also growing. I still remember the sagebrush steppe in those places where residential development is now. Night lighting appeared on the streets where it did not exist before.
    Although in general there is not enough lighting in the city at night. To be honest, I don’t understand why in St. Petersburg, where the nights are already white, there is such good night lighting in the city, but in Crimea there are problems with this, although the nights here are very dark and night lighting is simply necessary.

Squares and parks are being rebuilt. But sometimes I don’t understand when a fairly well-groomed square is taken, old tiles are removed from it, new ones are laid, old benches are removed and new, more modern ones are installed, trees are planted instead of old bushes.
    While it was possible to leave this old square as it is, and build a modern one in another place with the same money. So the city would have more places to rest.
    Rather, I understand that this is a scheme for earning money, which has a very indirect relation to the improvement.

But with transport somehow it got worse. Previously, topics (as Sevastopol residents call minibuses) went until late at night, though there was a night rate. And now, late in the evening, it is better not to plan long trips, since the topic is very long to wait.
    But the trolleybus is still good (by the way, it no longer exists in Moscow).

There are also interruptions in water and electricity in the city (for obvious reasons at the moment), but it seems to me that Sevastopol residents are already so used to this that they do not consider this a problem. They know the delivery schedules and adapt to them.

Like many cities, Sevastopol is good mainly in the center, and on the outskirts of the city there is nothing interesting except for the private sector and beautiful views.

Sevastopol has been destroyed twice in the last 160 years.
    The current central part of the city was almost entirely built in the Stalin period after the Second World War, according to a single style and plan. Although a certain number of older buildings have been preserved. White stone predominates and ancient Roman and Greek trends in architecture are noticeable. The city has a lot of steps due to the mountainous terrain, which is not suitable for everyone.

The food in the city is excellent, there are restaurants and canteens for every taste. In restaurants you can find fresh fish and oysters, no worse than in Italy and Turkey. But the price tag will not be cheap, especially with alcohol. By the way, local alcohol (cognacs and wines) is of excellent quality too.
    The pearl of the local cuisine is the Black Sea red mullet, I recommend Balaklava to get acquainted with it.

Medicine, police and education at the average Russian level (there is Moscow and St. Petersburg, and there is the rest of Russia). There is expensive private medicine, but still cheaper than in Moscow. For example, I always treat my teeth here - saving 4-5 times compared to Moscow, with the same quality.
    Nepotism is present, but it has always been highly developed among semi-clannish southern Russians. For this reason, it is difficult to get a simple job without having a good specialization and experience.
    If you have a son, then this is the right place for him to become a professional military man.

In tourist places (for example, on the embankment) there are beggars, rogues and scammers. The locals know their faces well and they are tourist oriented.

People here are quite rude and straightforward compared to Moscow and get into fights quite easily. In general, visitors who take away work from locals and dump wages are not liked here. Unlike Moscow, foreign non-Slavic migrants here are at the margin of error (yet). There is such an unspoken rumor that for those who came from mainland Russia, wages at enterprises here are higher than for local ones, but I don’t know how true this is.
    But still, many Crimeans and not only seek to move to Sevastopol, since here it is still more promising than in other cities of Crimea.
    Reviews should be written honestly, taking into account the shortcomings. Otherwise, people will read laudatory reviews and come to us in large numbers, and then we have problems with employment, with kindergartens, with parking lots.

Yes, people move to Sevastopol because of the climate and more or less developed infrastructure.

Although I have several friends (and myself) who, on the contrary, left Sevastopol in search of a better life. But deep down, I still dream of going back there. Maybe closer to retirement.

The city remains true to itself - this is a province that does not aspire to a noisy and crowded life and be the center of the world. After 2014, the city received additional funding and we see many changes for the better. But prices have risen, too.
    But no one wants to return to Ukraine, which has not invested a single penny in these places.
    By the way, Ukrainian is not spoken or understood here (maybe 1-2%).

And some pics from central part of the city from 2021:
    Spoiler!

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

3 Not allowed!

Awesome review! I could feel what the city is all about while reading your post- seems rather interesting place which is ecclectic mix of tourist spot and military port - very appealing, as I favor these types of destinations much more than typical "Disneyland" stuff. Food and wine sound yummy. I'd like to visit your city for sure. Especially cool was last pic with sleeping cat on the street-reminds me of Dalmatia very much

I like relaxed and bit mystic provincial vibe it has-very nice. Arhitecture is also rather appealing to my taste -classy yet clean designs with nice shade of color, wide streets with trees and bit commieblocks in the outskirts - I am fan of both.

Maybe you would be happier if you came back

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

This is how I first time heard for Sevastopol:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieg...%E2%80%931942)

Lot of military history for sure, much of it of great importance for Russia/USSR.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,828
    Given: 827

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    This is how I first time heard for Sevastopol:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieg...%E2%80%931942)

Lot of military history for sure, much of it of great importance for Russia/USSR.

Both times - both failures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_...%E2%80%931855)

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    Wow!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,425
    Given: 6,764

1 Not allowed!

Thanks, interesting!

It looks all to be in a good condition. Nothing to complain. I just had a look as for the number of inhabitants of Crimea and 2.3 million is actually more than I first thought.

- From where are people moving to Sevastopol, as you say, from Crimea or from mainland Russia?
    - And as for the whole of Crimea, is there a net immigration or emigration as for the time since 2014?
    - Is there still a lot of tourism from outside Crimea?
    - When did you leave Sevastopol?
    - In the mind of people, are there considered insecurities as for the belonging of Crimea to Russia or is the topic seen as so settled that there are no thoughts about it?
    - As for the Russians on Crimea (I guess it will all apply in a resembling manner to Ukrainians on Crimea), do they have any memory about from where they came regionally, before they came to Crimea (the oldest likely at abt. 1812 or something like that)? I ask, because my 1st wife had a (German) grandfather that was from a particular village in Bessarabia (Tarutino) and they had a clear memory about from where they had come in 1812. But Russians likely moved to Crimea not just in that early period but continously in the last 200 years, I guess.

Sorry for all questions.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    02-23-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian North, Middle Volga, Swabia
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,459
    Given: 1,193

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post

But with transport somehow it got worse. Previously, topics (as Sevastopol residents call minibuses) went until late at night, though there was a night rate. And now, late in the evening, it is better not to plan long trips, since the topic is very long to wait.

I see it as the positive moment, marshrutkas are useful only on the periphery with a small passenger flow.

~ WHITE LIVES MATTER ~ SilverKnight's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 03:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Iberian & Sene-Gambian
    Ethnicity
    Dominican American
    Ancestry
    Northern Spain, Canarian, Andaluz, W. África & Taino (Amerind)
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Florida
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Congolid
    Politics
    Right-wing, ultra nationalism and anti-commie scum.
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Dad, R. Trujillo, Andrew Tate, Vladimir Putin & Donald J. Trump, Loki & ♥Lily
    Religion
    Baptist - Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,670
    Given: 9,046

1 Not allowed!

Wow def a must visit
    Silverknight
    "..And the angle of the sun changed it all .."

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    Both times - both failures
    But for some reason, Russians still live in the city, and not Turks / Brits / Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    It looks all to be in a good condition. Nothing to complain.
    Yes, the city is clean and well maintained. And the air is wonderful. But it began to become so after returning to Russia. Ukraine simply exploited the Soviet infrastructure, the last modernization of which was in the 80s.
    - From where are people moving to Sevastopol, as you say, from Crimea or from mainland Russia?
    From the Crimean villages, as well as from small towns. From mainland Russia, people come mainly from cold places, the Urals-Siberia, the Kola Peninsula. Most of the immigrants are mostly military families. But this is a relatively small flow.
    The main flow (civilians) go to neighboring Krasnodar, and they really do not know what to do with the migrants.
    - And as for the whole of Crimea, is there a net immigration or emigration as for the time since 2014?
    The demographic pendulum swings first in one direction, then in the other, being approximately at the same level. According to Wikipedia, the population of Crimea has grown by 5,000 people since 2014.
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D...BD%D0%B8%D1%8F
    - Is there still a lot of tourism from outside Crimea?
    Yes, domestic tourism is growing. There were few foreign tourists before, about 2% (the place of attraction is the Kazantip festival), and now there will be even less.
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2...B8%D0%B7%D0%BC
    - When did you leave Sevastopol?
    When I finished school. I went to try to enter the university in Moscow (I'm a techie). Then I found a job here, met my future wife and got stuck in Moscow. This was long before 2014. If I had decided to become an officer like my father, I would have stayed at home. To be honest, I regret that I could not connect my life with the army. But then it was a different time, now I would do it without hesitation.
    So I have been living in Moscow since the age of 19, although I served in the army for 2 years in the Odessa region.

I often raise the issue of returning to the Crimea, but I still cannot persuade her. My source of income isn't tied to a location, and she doesn't want to lose touch with her parents. I hope that sooner or later I will be able to persuade her.
    - In the mind of people, are there considered insecurities as for the belonging of Crimea to Russia or is the topic seen as so settled that there are no thoughts about it?
    There were some fluctuations in 2014-2016, now everything is unanimously, of course.
    - As for the Russians on Crimea (I guess it will all apply in a resembling manner to Ukrainians on Crimea), do they have any memory about from where they came regionally, before they came to Crimea (the oldest likely at abt. 1812 or something like that)? I ask, because my 1st wife had a (German) grandfather that was from a particular village in Bessarabia (Tarutino) and they had a clear memory about from where they had come in 1812. But Russians likely moved to Crimea not just in that early period but continously in the last 200 years, I guess.
    Good question. My Crimean relatives have been living here (throughout the peninsula) since the Crimean War, that's 100%. Where they lived before - history is silent.
    Sorry for all questions.
    It's ok.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,425
    Given: 6,764

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    But for some reason, Russians still live in the city, and not Turks / Brits / Germans.

Yes, the city is clean and well maintained. And the air is wonderful. But it began to become so after returning to Russia. Ukraine simply exploited the Soviet infrastructure, the last modernization of which was in the 80s.

From the Crimean villages, as well as from small towns. From mainland Russia, people come mainly from cold places, the Urals-Siberia, the Kola Peninsula. Most of the immigrants are mostly military families. But this is a relatively small flow.
    The main flow (civilians) go to neighboring Krasnodar, and they really do not know what to do with the migrants.

The demographic pendulum swings first in one direction, then in the other, being approximately at the same level. According to Wikipedia, the population of Crimea has grown by 5,000 people since 2014.
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D...BD%D0%B8%D1%8F

Yes, domestic tourism is growing. There were few foreign tourists before, about 2% (the place of attraction is the Kazantip festival), and now there will be even less.
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2...B8%D0%B7%D0%BC

When I finished school. I went to try to enter the university in Moscow (I'm a techie). Then I found a job here, met my future wife and got stuck in Moscow. This was long before 2014. If I had decided to become an officer like my father, I would have stayed at home. To be honest, I regret that I could not connect my life with the army. But then it was a different time, now I would do it without hesitation.
    So I have been living in Moscow since the age of 19, although I served in the army for 2 years in the Odessa region.

I often raise the issue of returning to the Crimea, but I still cannot persuade her. My source of income isn't tied to a location, and she doesn't want to lose touch with her parents. I hope that sooner or later I will be able to persuade her.

There were some fluctuations in 2014-2016, now everything is unanimously, of course.

Good question. My Crimean relatives have been living here (throughout the peninsula) since the Crimean War, that's 100%. Where they lived before - history is silent.

It's ok.
    Thanks!!
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information